Col. Brain
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The head unit installation looks very clean
Old 06-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Sal T
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well executed. did the car have the Bose system with the 6CD changer. Can any of that stuff be used. Good job.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:01 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great.
I'd love to see some video of the Apple Car play in action
Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Well marketed.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Strelok
Advanced

Amazing work OP. This might be a longshot, but what are the chances of you selling that console dock? I know there are a lot of 997 owners, myself included, who would love to have that.

If not, is there anyone who sells such a thing? I just set up Carplay on my Pioneer unit and a dock like that would really complete the package.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 684 Likes on 208 Posts

** UPDATE **

Subwoofer enclosure is built and installed. It was a bit busy here at the time so I didn't get any good pictures of the work under the surface, but here are some photos that show the end result and how it all mounts in the car.

Step One: Design. We wanted a minimalist appearance that didn't resemble a subwoofer enclosure. We decided to use a rear-firing, sealed enclosure that was built with a "stealth" grille and covered in OEM-look materials.

Step Two: Mounting System. Because anthing not securely mounted in the cabin can become a "flying object of death" in a collision, we want to make sure our subwoofer enclosure stays put. Using thick aluminum we machined a pair of mounts the bolt the the car, and then the enclosure bolts to those mounts. Here are some pictures of that system.

Step Three: Enclosure fabrication. The 6" subwoofers only require 0.3 cubic feet of airspace for the pair, so the enclosure is relatively small. Hardware receptacles for the car mount are integrated into the sides, as well as a locking guide rail for the "stealth" cover that will hide the components.

Step Four: Fabricate Cover. The cover is upholstered in a factory-matched carpet with vinyl side caps. The grille over the woofers is done in an acoustically-transparent cloth backed with a heavy-duty aluminum mesh for support.

Step Five (Final):
In Car Assembly. With all of the components done it's time to mount the enclosure in place and install the cover.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 AM
jaycm3
Advanced

Looks good...just wondering why the sub box couldn't be made wider so the height would be inline w the rear parcel shelf.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:19 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sal T
well executed. did the car have the Bose system with the 6CD changer. Can any of that stuff be used. Good job.
Car came with the "Sound Package Plus" system. There was no external CD Changer in this setup. Either way, if there had been, it can't be retained with an aftermarket system.

Not a lot of options revolving CD Changers anymore. With the digital realm taking over, discs are starting to look more like cassette tapes.

Originally Posted by Strelok
Amazing work OP. This might be a longshot, but what are the chances of you selling that console dock? I know there are a lot of 997 owners, myself included, who would love to have that.

If not, is there anyone who sells such a thing? I just set up Carplay on my Pioneer unit and a dock like that would really complete the package.
There aren't any off-the-shelf solutions I know of for that particular application. If you're serious about it you could send me your console and I can return it with the modifications. PM me of shoot me an email: nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Originally Posted by jaycm3
Looks good...just wondering why the sub box couldn't be made wider so the height would be inline w the rear parcel shelf.
If you look at the pictures with the subwoofers installed it's easy to see that the height is restricted by the diameter of the speakers.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So, we had a client come in this week for a similar upgrade to this 997 that read through this thread before coming in. He decided to try having us remove the printed logos from the frame of the new unit. We actually ended up disassembling the faceplate and painting the trim satin black. Really pleased with how this came out — what do you guys think?

Before

After

Old 10-15-2016, 04:21 PM
starvational
Instructor

Very nice upgrades. Have you guys done the CarPlay upgrade to any 997.2 PCMs? I miss my CarPlay. 😂
Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycm3
Originally Posted by 12v Nick
If you look at the pictures with the subwoofers installed it's easy to see that the height is restricted by the diameter of the speakers.
This is definitely not a knock on your work because its much better than i can do and pretty much anyone in Honolulu. But i also feel there could've been a better solution to the subwoofer. Perhaps upward firing? So it could be flush with the rear deck (or close to flush), and full width. Either way, awesome job!
Old 10-15-2016, 08:36 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by starvational
Very nice upgrades. Have you guys done the CarPlay upgrade to any 997.2 PCMs? I miss my CarPlay. ��
Sure, PCM3 isn't much different in terms of integration. We've done a good amount of those with similar solutions.

EDIT: Just noticed you're not too far from us. Shoot me an email if you're interested in working together on an upgrade. nick.akin@musicarnw.com

Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
This is definitely not a knock on your work because its much better than i can do and pretty much anyone in Honolulu. But i also feel there could've been a better solution to the subwoofer. Perhaps upward firing? So it could be flush with the rear deck (or close to flush), and full width. Either way, awesome job!
I completely agree, something more integrated-looking could have been built. You have to consider this was a client project and not one of our personal cars, so budget constraints are always there.

Here's a project we did a while back in a 991 that didn't have much of a budget issue, you can see the amount of time involved in the subwoofer enclosure was vastly different than this one - obviously with a different result, too... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9306...eam-991-a.html
Old 10-15-2016, 11:09 PM
grscha
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
So, we had a client come in this week for a similar upgrade to this 997 that read through this thread before coming in. He decided to try having us remove the printed logos from the frame of the new unit. We actually ended up disassembling the faceplate and painting the trim satin black. Really pleased with how this came out — what do you guys think?

Before

After

This is my car. I love it. Nick and the team at Musicar NW do impeccable work. This is a very worthwhile upgrade.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:15 PM
grscha
Advanced

And now I can watch Minions in my Porsche!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM
monty007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - beautiful work!!

Quick Reply: 997 CarPlay and Audio Upgrade by Musicar Northwest