Sponsored by:

Opinion on DME Report 2005 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Widsinator
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion on DME Report 2005 C2S

Found a 2005 Carrera S I am very fond of, priced well, and optioned exactly how I want as it's a launch edition. 28,000 Miles and been in Southern California its whole life, and garaged its whole life. Never been tracked which was backed up by the 90%+ wear readings on the PCCB and pads. Clean carfax and no signs of damage, has service records for it's whole life.

Sent it in for a PPI and it came back very clean beyond what appears to be a single "oops" on the DME report. I am less concerned about the 1/2/3 readings as that just shows signs of the car being driven hard, if not a touch sloppy. The 4/5/6 readings, which seem to be from a single incident, are obviously more concering.

Upon bringing this up the owner seems to remember grabbing 2nd instead of 4th getting off the freeway one day, and immediately clutching in after realizing so. He said it shook him up a little when it happened, but didn't think much of it at the time as there were never any ill effects after that fact. Given the mileage it presumably happened at, it is 5+ years, 300+ hours, and 12,000+ miles ago. Car never exhibited any signs of damage, and was driven regularly after that so I don't believe anything is attempted to be covered up, simply was seen as a non-issue. Given the time and driving that has happened since, I am not particularly concerned about it either, but am worried about difficulty I may face when going to resell the car down the road. I do plan on keeping it for at least 2-3 years so not an immediate concern, but a thought none the less.

IMS is still the original, and has not been updated to the LN, but this is something known and that I have factored into the price. It is the earlier motor that is able to be updated without a tear down.

Wanted to see what the community opinion is on the DME report. All feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by Widsinator; 06-22-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Happened a long time ago, so probably ok.

Yes, you'll have to explain this someday. So buy at a smart price now.

But why are there range 1s and 2s just a couple hours ago? Sales demo joy rides? That sucks.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Over 9000 range 1 ignitions and of those, 2000 range 2 ignitions? that means it was revved from 7,300-7,700 that many times. The car I just bought with a little less than half the miles had 11 range 1 ignitions.

I know, I know- supposedly "no issue" but it seems like that car was driven frequently very hard- I just hope it was properly up to temperature those times. I hope it's a really good deal.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Nothing wrong with it. Driven hard but if it is what you have been looking go for it. Also I don't think the report warrants a special discount.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 PM
mreloc
Pro

Nothing wrong with it. Driven hard but if it is what you have been looking go for it. Also I don't think the report warrants a special discount.
I realize I'm the least experienced one in this discussion, but pegging the rev limiter on average 11 times out of every hour of operation seems, like, wow! With that frequency I would think it would be difficult to get the car up to operating temperatures in time to be able to do that kind of aggressive shifting when it is safe to do so.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

You are talking about a 2005 MY. That make the car about 11 years old. You buy the car and drive a few years then go to sell the car and and some over revs that occurred even more years further back in time than they are now are not going to make any difference.

You just want to make sure you don't add any to the range 3 or higher range totals.

Give the car reasonable servicing. Document the servicing, save all the receipts, and when it comes time to resell you'll do alright.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not want to buy a car that has been granny shifted and parade driven all its life. I want well taken care of, maintenance documents and for it to be driven like a sports car should be.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
I realize I'm the least experienced one in this discussion, but pegging the rev limiter on average 11 times out of every hour of operation seems, like, wow! With that frequency I would think it would be difficult to get the car up to operating temperatures in time to be able to do that kind of aggressive shifting when it is safe to do so.
That's not the way the counter counts. It counts the number of ignitions in the range for as long as they occur in that event.

I don't want to bother with the math but it doesn't take that much time to accumulate a number of ignition events at the RPMs at which those events were counted.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 PM
mreloc
Pro

That's not the way the counter counts. It counts the number of ignitions in the range for as long as they occur in that event.

I don't want to bother with the math but it doesn't take that much time to accumulate a number of ignition events at the RPMs at which those events were counted.
Got it. Thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 02:57 AM
Widsinator
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thoughts guys, about the mix I expected. I too would prefer a car that has been driven hard on occassion as this seems to have been, rather than one that's never been rung out. I would of course hope it was always after being up to operating temp, but can't imagine my 1/2 reports would look much different after 28,000 miles. I like that it was enjoyed.

If I'm doing the math correctly it equates to roughly two tenths of second in range 4, and one tenth in range 5. The car is most certainly fine. All of the previous manual cars I've purchased, mostly BMWs, have had far more miles, and who knows how many incidents in that time. Blessing and a curse having access to this information to over analyze, and stress over.

Quick Reply: Opinion on DME Report 2005 C2S