Sponsored by:

Gasoline Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBrain
I saw the same gasoline truck by "Mohsen" deliver gasoline to Arco and Costco, probably to 76, too. It is widely noted that oil change should be performed after using bottle or two of Techron additive. Does the Techron in the Chevron gasoline contaminate the engine oil, too?
Probably.

But I adhere to a 5K mile oil/filter service no matter which brand of gasoline I use.

Recently I used two bottles -- one at a time per tank of fuel -- in my Turbo and timed the use to be just before its 5K mile oil/filter service.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:56 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Probably.

But I adhere to a 5K mile oil/filter service no matter which brand of gasoline I use.

Recently I used two bottles -- one at a time per tank of fuel -- in my Turbo and timed the use to be just before its 5K mile oil/filter service.
Thats what I do, too. As suggested by my indie I used "Lucas Upper cylinder lubricant and cleaner" for the first time. As expected, no miracles happened but I have the feeling that the car responds better to the accelerator. This is an anecdotal observation, not stated as a fact. I will change oil when the gas tank is empty.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I often get VONS/Safeway gas and have had no issues
They also do the up to $1.00 per gallon discount

Also use COSTCO gas, which from what I have read, is as good as anything else out there
Old 06-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003

Originally Posted by VivG View Post
What tier of gasoline does Costco fall into?

Top tier. One of the best values out there IMO.

Damn wtf, got suckered into a gas thread. But it is Monday...
Re COSTCO... No, it isn't really top tier, as far as I can tell. One of my clients (Mohsen, the same one that DrBrain mentions. Mohsen is a great guy. He lives not far from me here in Oceanside. One of his sons recently bought a Panamera) has the contract to deliver fuel to our local Costco, Shell, and many other gas stations (including three of his own family-branded gas stations). I had a pretty good conversation with him about this. All of the gasoline comes from the same source. Then, brand-specific additive packages are added. He told me that Costco uses a package that is very light on the additives.

I nearly always use ARCO, and have in all of my cars. Never had any problem of gunking up or any other issue that one would associate with bad gas. I would think that if cars were dropping like flies due to ARCO gas that this would be a massive news story and class-action law suit that many attorney would be on in a flash. The only place I have ever heard of bad comments regarding ARCO is on car forums.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:59 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very interesting, considering that Costco claims it has 10x (or similar) the additives when compared to other brands and top tier status. Costco just lost a gasoline customer.

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Re COSTCO... No, it isn't really top tier, as far as I can tell. One of my clients (Mohsen, the same one that DrBrain mentions. Mohsen is a great guy. He lives not far from me here in Oceanside. One of his sons recently bought a Panamera) has the contract to deliver fuel to our local Costco, Shell, and many other gas stations (including three of his own family-branded gas stations). I had a pretty good conversation with him about this. All of the gasoline comes from the same source. Then, brand-specific additive packages are added. He told me that Costco uses a package that is very light on the additives.

I nearly always use ARCO, and have in all of my cars. Never had any problem of gunking up or any other issue that one would associate with bad gas. I would think that if cars were dropping like flies due to ARCO gas that this would be a massive news story and class-action law suit that many attorney would be on in a flash. The only place I have ever heard of bad comments regarding ARCO is on car forums.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

I did find this comment, that I'm sure everyone will find to be most helpful:

Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

what kind of oil should i use in my 911?

Old 06-20-2016, 11:34 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VW says

Bought my GTI two years ago. Uniquely got to talking with deutches tech guys from the factory who were giving the dealer the hard eye. New cars only allowed to leave the lot having been filled up w Chevron. Ever since then Chevron it is.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

No Chevron around here I tend to fill at a BP on the way home from work because it's convenient and cheap. But having read this thread I've ordered a couple of bottles of Techron just to jump on the bandwagon
Old 06-21-2016, 11:13 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Re COSTCO... No, it isn't really top tier, as far as I can tell.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am all Chevron all the time, Porsche, AMG, classic muscle cars, Denali, Zero turn, mowers and tractors, because the manual says so on the expensive stuff.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybatl911
Metro Atlanta premium is 93 octane and occasionally I fill up with a tank of 90 octane non-ethanol just keep everything cleaned. I heard there's 100 octane somewhere in north Atlanta but I've yet to find it.
The place is on hwy 41 just south of cartersville and near emerson. I live right buy there.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Gulliver
I am all Chevron all the time, Porsche, AMG, classic muscle cars, Denali, Zero turn, mowers and tractors, because the manual says so on the expensive stuff.
While some Chevron stations are expensive, priced above "market" others are very competitive on price compared to other stations and I can save money buying Chevron vs. some other brand.

My unscientific observation is -- at least this is true in my area of CA -- is brand name stations appear to have lower prices with in at least one case a Safeway store with a gas station nearby.

In fact the Shell station operator told me he prices his gasoline based on the Safeway price, trying to keep his prices down as much as he can to avoid losing more business to Safeway. 'course, he must have had a change of heart -- or the station a change in managment -- for as I mentioned in an earlier post some time back the Shell station inexplicably raised its prices 10 and more cents per gallon above even other name brand stations within a block or less. The Safeway station is several blocks away.

My commute often has me passing Chevron stations with lower prices than the one I usually shop at near my house. If a car needs gas and I have the time I'll pull in and fill up and save even more money.

With the variation in prices with some stations charging 10, 20 even 30 cents more per gallon, and the high priced and low priced stations sometimes next door to each other, I'm amazed at some customers that appear to not be paying any real attention to the price of gasoline.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

IMNSHO the vast majority of claims about super gasoline additives is marketing.

I've been running a lot of cars, trucks, boats, planes, bikes, etc on bargain brands for decades and I've never been able to pin down any failure, or reduced service to strictly gasoline, except two bad loads I've gotten that were clearly contaminated. One was on vacation in a massive motorhome that would stall after buying 55 gal of gas at a small out of the way station. I'm certain it was stale, and had water. The other time I filled up a Fiat with Mobil prem and got mostly water. Both times I went back and complained and got a refund. There were other people complaining as well.

I'm sure that Shell and ARCO have different additive packages, and the ones for Shell might be marginally, or very slightly better than ARCO, but the combustibility won't be much different, and the energy content won't be much different, so the only thing that I would worry about is injector fouling which can be solved with a few cans of Ventil Sauber or have the injectors cleaned after 50k miles. meh
Old 06-21-2016, 07:37 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Chevron for my 2000 996 and 2013 MB 300. No performance issues with either car.

Quick Reply: Gasoline Gurus