Sponsored by: APR

My GT4 reminds me of a Dino 246Gts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Fstclyz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GT4 reminds me of a Dino 246Gts

I just got my GT4 and man I love it. Such a beautiful and precise but raw car. I love the mid engine design, body contours, seating position, interior trim, sound etc. The handling is wonderful and neutral (rear bar stiffest setting) and a perfect tranny and clutch.

What really gives me a smile is the way it reminds me of my dad's old Ferrari Dino 246. I drove that car a lot as a kid and the tranny whine, exhaust note, front fenders lurking above the windshield, gauge console, seating and steering position all remind me so much of that car, just 40 years later.

This car isn't really fast (like a Dino) but it has such a great feel, size and presence to it. It's hard to explain and comparing a GT4 to another Porsche isn't easy. They all are great and different. I just think this car is quite special. Thanks Porsche for finally building a Cayman I truly wanted.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2016, 05:10 PM
JPR
Racer

I think that you examine the performance specs on the Dino, you will find that your recollection of its relative speed to the GT4 are way off. But a great vintage car with awesome noise none the less...

Cheers

Jpr
Old 06-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Fstclyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by JPR
I think that you examine the performance specs on the Dino, you will find that your recollection of its relative speed to the GT4 are way off. But a great vintage car with awesome noise none the less...

Cheers

Jpr
That's not the comparison I was making and even if I was, there's a 40 year difference which I eluded to. Some of you get too involved in the technicals. Enjoy them and embrace them for what they are.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 PM
trebien
Racer

I think you both are saying the same thing.

JPR, I think his original comment intended to mean the GT4 is not a screaming fast car compared to some current options (like the Dino was not a screaming fast car). I re-read the comment twice to get it.

I got a ride in a Dino when I was 10... still remember that day like yesterday.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:56 PM
QShip
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice matching Ducati
Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

This car is very special and I agree. It is one heck of a good looking car but also sounds/feels more like a V8 when you whine her up rather than a flat 6 which makes it feel different than any other Porsche I have owned. Very hot-roddish experience and it does not have any RWS and any other BS. It is just exactly what it was meant to be which is stuff a 3.8 Liter in to a Cayman and give it the suspension, feel, rawness, and analog experience you would find in "GT" car from Porsche. The more I drive her the more I understand and appreciate what this car is all about.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 PM
user1029
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 274 Posts

maybe this is because of my recreation substance use in my younger days but the GT4 front end looks like a sleeker...

5th gen Honda Prelude

Name:  UthwKA2.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  251.6 KB
Old 06-03-2016, 09:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,470 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Fstclyz
I
This car isn't really fast (like a Dino) but it has such a great feel, size and presence to it. It's hard to explain and comparing a GT4 to another Porsche isn't easy. They all are great and different. I just think this car is quite special. Thanks Porsche for finally building a Cayman I truly wanted.
I get it. I agree. The car feels light on it's toes and immediate. It's hard to find that feel nowadays. This is a special car.

Originally Posted by user1029
maybe this is because of my recreation substance use in my younger days but the GT4 front end looks like a sleeker...

5th gen Honda Prelude

Love the 5th gen Prelude.

I get a strong FD Rx-7 vibe from the GT4, personally. Especially in red.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts
Default My GT4 reminds me of a Dino 246Gts

That's not the comparison I was making and even if I was, there's a 40 year difference which I eluded to. Some of you get too involved in the technicals. Enjoy them and embrace them for what they are.
This car isn't really fast (like a Dino) but it has such a great feel, size and presence to it.
However, that is what you wrote.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Agreed

I put more kMs on 05082 than all previous owners summed together, would jump in and go from Seattle to San Diego on a whim; 8 times in total.

I just got my GT4 and man I love it. Such a beautiful and precise but raw car. I love the mid engine design, body contours, seating position, interior trim, sound etc. The handling is wonderful and neutral (rear bar stiffest setting) and a perfect tranny and clutch.

What really gives me a smile is the way it reminds me of my dad's old Ferrari Dino 246. I drove that car a lot as a kid and the tranny whine, exhaust note, front fenders lurking above the windshield, gauge console, seating and steering position all remind me so much of that car, just 40 years later.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Perimeter; 06-04-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:24 AM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by Perimeter
I put more kMs on 05082 than all previous owners summed together, would jump in and go from Seattle to San Diego on a whim; 8 times in total.
Gorgeous car, and mad props for actually driving the damn thing like it was intended. Enough of this overblown "collector/sports cars as investments" bull****e floating around and hitting maximum crescendo... it's kind of sad to me.

For the love of all things sacred, just drive & enjoy the damn things!

I look forward to a little road trip this summer up Cali to Seattle to visit my sister, and my parents in Bellingham. If you know any great routes off the beaten path (and sounds like you do) then please PM. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

That Dino is beautiful in a simplistic way
Old 06-04-2016, 12:59 PM
realdrray
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by user1029

5th gen Honda Prelude

JDM fogs!!!
Old 06-04-2016, 01:58 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I noticed this too!

Seen at Canepa

My Racing Yellow
Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Summer drive North

Originally Posted by trebien
Gorgeous car, and mad props for actually driving the damn thing like it was intended. Enough of this overblown "collector/sports cars as investments" bull****e floating around and hitting maximum crescendo... it's kind of sad to me.

For the love of all things sacred, just drive & enjoy the damn things!

I look forward to a little road trip this summer up Cali to Seattle to visit my sister, and my parents in Bellingham. If you know any great routes off the beaten path (and sounds like you do) then please PM. Thanks.
Not sure which city you're starting from but The Coast route is always a good recomendation. As you cross into Oregon, it can get boring fast if you get behind an RV (or tourist in a Prius) as you can get stuck for hours.

For a fun alternative, I would suggest what I call "The Volcano Route" and have led a couple of car club trips on this. Lots of twisties, transitions from lush underbrush to dry high plains with wineries and mountain pass stops along the way.
The route from The Dalles, OR to Randle, WA had several Seattle locals claim they had never been on such fun roads before and they were long time residents that hadn't know about it ever. There is a replica of Stonehange, The Bridge of the Gods, Historic Grand lodges at Mt. Rainier and Timberline, Raceway ORP, Crater Lake, and much more
From Randle, I would cut East to 97, N through Wenatchee, stay in Leavenworth and then N to Winthrop to go over HWY 20 on the North Cascades Highway

Really depends on how much time you have and what your priorities are, but there is a heck of a lot of fun to be had!
Attached Images              

Last edited by Perimeter; 06-04-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: My GT4 reminds me of a Dino 246Gts