Squeaking. New belt was "dry"

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:35 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Squeaking. New belt was "dry"

Yes it started last autumn after large service. Belt was changed in service

When it was getting colder outside the belt started squealing. Very loud when engine was cold and even after that every time I was revving it hard. It was so bad that I even was suspecting the alternator or water pump was about to fail

Especially as it was exactly matching with the turning of the alternator pulley.

However, they checked it at PC and just lubricated with silicone spray. Now it's completely quiet. They said it was "dry". I feel kind of stupid about this both since I was not 100% sure which spray to use but also that I didn't test it earlier. Also - the belt was brand new which is kind of why I ruled the belt out of the equation

I read a lot here about squealing noise with failing alternators and fuel pumps but I can just conclude that the first thing you should try is to lubricate the belt. Even if it's brand new......
Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Belts don't need lubrication. Someone is feeding you bs
Old 06-02-2016, 08:37 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Correct and I believe it is recommended to not lubricate the belt. How old is your idler pulleys and tensioner pulley?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Belts don't need lubrication. Someone is feeding you bs
+1. Old belts make noise, loose ones as well
Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

had the same problem with my 2010 C4s...
Belt grease hides the problem and it will return shorty.
After two visits to the dealership under warranty it turn out to be the tensioner needed to be replaced. I hope this helps..

First attempt belt (after I said no way belt grease is a fix)
second attempt and successful repair tensioner - Tech had to measure pulleys in the diag process they looked okay.. was in fact the bearing in the tensioner..
odd too only happened when the engine was "cool" or after I washed the vehicle.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Spraying a squeaky belt is smart when eliminating variables.

If the spray was just to the belt, and the noise went away, you can eliminate failing pump/alternator/other bearings as the problem.

You got a crap belt from a place that had old ones, or you have the wrong am't of tension on the belt.

Spray is not a fix, but it is a good diagnoses tool.

There are some exhaust sounds (leaks and squeaks) that will make you swear to every god that it is a belt squeak, and they vary with RPM and temp (keep this in mind)

Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

x2 - Philster. Belt dressing if you have it. If not, I have used a candle. Rub a little on the inside and outside of the belt while its spinning. Be bloody careful. Take off your tie.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:50 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 107 Posts

For the first three minutes my 2008 CS2 (80k miles) would produce a faint squeak/squeal sound from the engine area. After too many other attempted "fixes", including belt changes, I finally solved it. It turned out to be drive belt rubber built up on the AC and Power Steering pulleys. Before changing to a new drive belt, I cleaned off all the pulleys with super fine sand paper (using a rubber wheel attached to a drill to spin the pulley while holding sandpaper in the belt groove). Problem solved. That was six months ago and has sounded perfect ever since.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Philster
Spraying a squeaky belt is smart when eliminating variables.

If the spray was just to the belt, and the noise went away, you can eliminate failing pump/alternator/other bearings as the problem.

You got a crap belt from a place that had old ones, or you have the wrong am't of tension on the belt.

Spray is not a fix, but it is a good diagnoses tool.

There are some exhaust sounds (leaks and squeaks) that will make you swear to every god that it is a belt squeak, and they vary with RPM and temp (keep this in mind)

Yes, it was simple silicone spray they used and now it is dead quiet. I even bought a spray bottle my self. Is the Porsche Dealership who did it so It is the OEM belt and it was new, but of cause it could have been lying on the shelf.

So for sure its not the exhaust, alternator or water pump. Could be tensioner pulley but time will tell. Now I only hear normal engine sound again.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:13 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Idler and tensioner pulleys have been reported to wear down and/or groove. Mine squeaks, mechanic recommended replacement. Parts on the way. I would make sure the three pulleys here are not rounded/worn/grooved down. The green and yellow pictured below.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

No silicone spray is needed. The lubricant simply masks a pulley problem.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Well, the silicone spray was only sprayed on the grooved side of the belt (the side that is not in contact with the tensioner pulleys at all) and the noise is completely gone. To me this is still the first solution to take before replacing a lot of things.

Since the belt was changed by Porsche Center so recently (less than 2000 km ago) I assume they checked pulleys etc when old belt was replaced.

Porsche center said they now used silicone spray since the belt was "dry". I also see other kinds of sprays like belt grip spray etc. Please school me on the differences if there is any?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Belt dressing varies. Some are just silicone. Some have petroleum products in them or similar compounds to asphalt (for grip).

If your new belt was dry and the dealer is used to giving a quick zap of silicone, then maybe that's all the dry belt needed.

Okay, it ain't easy to store parts and maintain inventory, so who knows the life that belt had and on which shelf it lived before it got to you. More and more rubber parts now live in dry, cool interior parts' departments and lose some pliability until they acclimate to real air (not kidding).

Quick Reply: Squeaking. New belt was "dry"