Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

New iPhone Update & Now No Bluetooth Music option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:41 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New iPhone Update & Now No Bluetooth Music option?

I updated my iPhone to 9.3.2 about 2-3 days ago and I noticed that I can't pick "Bluetooth" for music!
My phone connects and I can make calls through my car.
I even deleted my phone connection to the car and re-synced; nothing.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Strange. Works for me after the same update. Did you delete the pairing from both the phone and PCM before trying to pair again? Maybe completely shut down the phone and power it back on? I very occasionally see BT Audio not get enabled even though the phone works and the fix has always been to toggle Bluetooth on my phone, but that happens maybe once every other month.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Works for me on my CDR+
Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't work in one car but works in my other cars. It is weird
Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 AM
MrNurse
Pro

Originally Posted by jphughan
Strange. Works for me after the same update. Did you delete the pairing from both the phone and PCM before trying to pair again? Maybe completely shut down the phone and power it back on? I very occasionally see BT Audio not get enabled even though the phone works and the fix has always been to toggle Bluetooth on my phone, but that happens maybe once every other month.
I tried it again just now. I deleted my phone from the Bluetooth devices. On my iPhone I went to Bluetooth, click PCM, then "forget this device". I re-paired and still nothing :/

In the morning I'm going to try it with my lady's iPhone.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:52 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrNurse
I tried it again just now. I deleted my phone from the Bluetooth devices. On my iPhone I went to Bluetooth, click PCM, then "forget this device". I re-paired and still nothing :/

In the morning I'm going to try it with my lady's iPhone.
If you've already also completely power cycled the phone, try getting it connected, then go to the Music app and tap the AirPlay icon. Does PCM show up as a target there? If so, does manually selecting it do anything?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:13 AM
MrNurse
Pro

If you've already also completely power cycled the phone, try getting it connected, then go to the Music app and tap the AirPlay icon. Does PCM show up as a target there? If so, does manually selecting it do anything?
I power cycled my phone 2-3 times. When I tapped AirPlay it only showed "iPhone".
Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrNurse
I power cycled my phone 2-3 times. When I tapped AirPlay it only showed "iPhone".
On the iPhone, try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This may fix it, although it will wipe your Bluetooth pairings as well as saved WiFi networks, so it will be a bit of work.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

Problem is iPhone..
Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Try: Settings > Bluetooth (make sure it's toggled on green) > in PCM choose"i" with the circle around it > and toggle on green under Show Notifications. Then start your car and wait & see if BT shows up under Source..
Old 05-26-2016, 10:26 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by A911SUV
Try: Settings > Bluetooth (make sure it's toggled on green) > in PCM choose"i" with the circle around it > and toggle on green under Show Notifications. Then start your car and wait & see if BT shows up under Source..
That's the option that allows text messages to be displayed on the head unit. Very useful, but I doubt it would help with audio.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:27 AM
TheGhost
Instructor

My GT4 seems to really lag in terms of picking up my android phone. I start the car up and it takes like 1 or 2 minutes before my car recognizes the phone. On my DD Ram truck, it's on in about 5 seconds. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to tweak the settings so the car will seek out and default to Bluetooth Aux from the start, so I don't have to spend 2 minutes at the beginning of every drive trying to connect my phone to the audio system?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:33 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheGhost
My GT4 seems to really lag in terms of picking up my android phone. I start the car up and it takes like 1 or 2 minutes before my car recognizes the phone. On my DD Ram truck, it's on in about 5 seconds. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to tweak the settings so the car will seek out and default to Bluetooth Aux from the start, so I don't have to spend 2 minutes at the beginning of every drive trying to connect my phone to the audio system?
Bluetooth connects my phone in about 15 seconds, and audio takes about another 15 seconds after that. It's significantly longer than my last car took, and unless there's something you can do differently on Android, I don't think there's anything to be done about that. As for defaulting to that source, can't be done. PCM decides that BT Audio isn't available when it starts up, so it reverts back to FM immediately. My last car would always stick to the last used source even if it wasn't available immediately until it either became available again or the driver manually switched to something else, which I vastly preferred. That and the fact that the stereo starts up at approximately its last non-muted volume rather than my last car's approach of starting up either muted (if muted when it was last used) or at a fixed low volume (to avoid a blaring stereo early in the morning) are two of biggest first-world problems I have with this car. The HVAC always starting up even if it was off when I last used the car is a related gripe, and what makes it more aggravating is that all of this could be solved with a simple software update.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:03 PM
TheGhost
Instructor

Bluetooth connects my phone in about 15 seconds, and audio takes about another 15 seconds after that. It's significantly longer than my last car took, and unless there's something you can do differently on Android, I don't think there's anything to be done about that. As for defaulting to that source, can't be done. PCM decides that BT Audio isn't available when it starts up, so it reverts back to FM immediately. My last car would always stick to the last used source even if it wasn't available immediately until it either became available again or the driver manually switched to something else, which I vastly preferred. That and the fact that the stereo starts up at approximately its last non-muted volume rather than my last car's approach of starting up either muted (if muted when it was last used) or at a fixed low volume (to avoid a blaring stereo early in the morning) are two of biggest first-world problems I have with this car. The HVAC always starting up even if it was off when I last used the car is a related gripe, and what makes it more aggravating is that all of this could be solved with a simple software update.
Annoying. Do these audio/navigation systems get periodic updates? Maybe this issue could be addressed by Porsche? It's definitely a case of First World Problems, but it's also legitimately annoying for a car I paid this much money for. I have to go through a 1-minute kabuki routine every time I start up my car.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Best fix (IMO) is an external Bluetooth to AUX adapter (I like the Bose mini Bluetooth adapter, great sounding audio). This lets the PCM default to AUX at every car startup (no more hitting the input button and dealing with loud radio at every startup). $60 and done...

And this is why I only wanted base CDR... The PCM Bluetooth implementation on my GT3 really annoyed me.

I the GT4 I never have to touch the CDR unit to play music every time I get in, and music will auto start depending on how much I've messed with playing with videos or other things on my phone since the last time I drove.

Last edited by Mech33; 06-02-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: New iPhone Update & Now No Bluetooth Music option?