Sponsored by: APR

Camera mount solution on the luggage bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:52 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Camera mount solution on the luggage bar

My solution for a solid mount on the GT4 luggage bar, a Manfrotto 2909 super clamp with a short stud. It comes with a wedge attachment to let the jaw work on a flat surface.

Once clamped, you can use any 1/4"-20 thread accessory. I used a RAM mount adapter and other RAM accessories so that I can mount everything from a GoPro to an DSLR weighing 5lbs on there securely.

After looking at these photos I'll probably turn the clamp around 180 degrees for added security in case of any sudden stops with a heavy load on it.

Untitled by Peter Moy, on Flickr

Untitled by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Old 03-13-2016, 09:58 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Pete, thanks for that pic. I bought one of those a while ago and it's still in its package just waiting for my car and first track day. My question is whether the gopro in its stock form with standard mounts can be fitted to the clamp or do I need another accessory? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

It's like a Lego set for adults.

For getting a GoPro mounted on this I'm using:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-202U-GOP1

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-348U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U-A

I needed this hefty clamp because I plan of clamping a Nikon D800e with a 16-35mm f/4 lens, not a light rig. If all I needed was a GoPro, I think this RAM clamp would work on the luggage bar.

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-247U-2
Old 03-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NephroC4S
Pete, thanks for that pic. I bought one of those a while ago and it's still in its package just waiting for my car and first track day. My question is whether the gopro in its stock form with standard mounts can be fitted to the clamp or do I need another accessory? Thanks!
I use the gopro bicycle handlebar mount with some rubber inside to help stabilize it
Old 03-13-2016, 10:53 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Great! Thank you both for your responses!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:32 PM
MrNurse
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Pete, that looks very sturdy.

I was using the curved adhesive mount for my GoPro when I had my Boxster and it was perfect for me so I was thinking of doing the same for my GT4. I'm also considering this mount as I've had good experience with Arkon and it's very inexpensive. The rubber should make it very stable as well.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arkon-GP23...Mount/46615500

This was with "wide-angle". I have a video with a narrower point of view somewhere.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:51 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

LND_5058 by Peter Moy, on Flickr

I need that clamp to support a rig this sized:

IMG_1306 by Peter Moy, on Flickr
Old 05-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I ran a Ram roll bar mount on my 987. I will be installing a Cantrell Harness/Roll Bar in the GT4 but it doesn't seem to offer a good spot for a camera mount so I looked for a luggage bar mount and came up with the Ram Medium Tough Claw with 1" ball (RAP-B404U). It seems very solid. I ran a test video and the mount was solid but I thought the camera could be a little lower and forward. This can be fixed with a longer bar.
Attached Images    
Old 05-14-2016, 01:07 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Just a quick update as this thread popped up again. I did use the manfrotto clamp on the luggage bar with adhesive and the GoPro. Worked really well but the brightness outside washed out the outside the windshield view. The inside cockpit view was pretty cool.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
QShip
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a smaller bolt-on RAM mount on my 987 which was much more lower profile- I left it on all the time because it was so unobtrusive. One drawback of that mount was that it scratched the bar a bit when it got loose and rotated around the bar.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same Manfrotto clamp. Very solid. The problem I ran into was with the spring loaded iPhone clamp mount that I got. It vibrated too much for a stable video. Need to go back to the drawing board on that aspect.

Originally Posted by NephroC4S
Just a quick update as this thread popped up again. I did use the manfrotto clamp on the luggage bar with adhesive and the GoPro. Worked really well but the brightness outside washed out the outside the windshield view. The inside cockpit view was pretty cool.
You need a polarizer filter for your GoPro to solve this.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:08 PM
asamhall
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I ran a Ram roll bar mount on my 987. I will be installing a Cantrell Harness/Roll Bar in the GT4 but it doesn't seem to offer a good spot for a camera mount so I looked for a luggage bar mount and came up with the Ram Medium Tough Claw with 1" ball (RAP-B404U). It seems very solid. I ran a test video and the mount was solid but I thought the camera could be a little lower and forward. This can be fixed with a longer bar.
Hi Bill,
I used the ram mount on the luggage bar before I installed my Cantrell bar. I still have some shaky video with the smarty cam. I now use the ram roll bar mount and the mid sized bar and it seems to work well. I however did not reinstall the plastic trim that goes over the center where the luggage bar sits.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:31 AM
MrNurse
Pro

Here's my Akron mount. It's pretty discrete so I just leave it on. It's also rubber so it leaves no marks.

Quick Reply: Camera mount solution on the luggage bar