Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Motorsports release pictures of their 2017 911 GTE Pro contender....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:01 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Agreed. Big Cayman. I'm a 911 diehard. Engine needs to be in *** :-)
That's the thing - they will need a homolgoation vehicle or otherwise it defeats the whole reason of the GT classs. Which means the next RS is probably mid engined? I'm sure it'll be great, but the 991.1 may be the last rear engined RS. Unless it course they build a 991.2 RS Cup version in small numbers to tick the box...
Old 05-12-2016, 06:22 PM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 197 Posts

nate are you in detail enough into regulations to say that the 991.2GT3RS have to have same engineposition? or at least any roadlegal car whatever its name will be.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

My guess is the next RS will be turbocharged (GT2RS). But, I think they will have a going-away special model (RS 4.2?) like they did with the 997 which will really be the last NA...

Hoping the next 991.2 GT3 (non-RS) will be 4.0 NA with Manual option (waiting patiently - well trying to be patient...).
Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
That's the thing - they will need a homolgoation vehicle or otherwise it defeats the whole reason of the GT classs. Which means the next RS is probably mid engined? I'm sure it'll be great, but the 991.1 may be the last rear engined RS. Unless it course they build a 991.2 RS Cup version in small numbers to tick the box...
No they don't. They just need a technical waiver, which happens more frequently than you think. BMW got them with the M3 GT2....it had a rear mounted gearbox (for better weight distribution), and used a flat plane crank V8, and altered suspension pick-up points.....homologated from the E92 M3. That car ran in ALMS and 24-hr Le-Mans.

Virtually every manufacturer lobbies for waivers some are bigger than others. Some you hear about, most you don't. For the front engine cars, the placement of the engine is so far back, it's called FM (front-mid).....in reality that is all Porsche is going for, a layout which allows them to put the engine further inboard to also fully utilize the rear diffusers now, which they currently can't. How to achieve that from the waiver is the question........

Call it what you will, either mid-engine, or rear-mid. The questions will be:

1. Will they simply push the same motor/trans layout further into the chassis?

2. Will they make it a "true" mid-engine and swap motor and trans locations?

3. How much did the wheel base grow, if any?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Right - but what was the homologation deal they cut as part of it? There is always a deal cut as part of the technical waivers.

If an RS that has a completely different layout, is it still an RS? To me it's not, RS has always been about homologation and should stay that way. The more an RS gets removed from the race car the less developed the car will be. We've seen the problems in the GT3 engine situation already - lets not head down the path of less chassis development as the factory team is running a completely different layout....
Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 108 Posts

Right - but what was the homologation deal they cut as part of it? There is always a deal cut as part of the technical waivers.

If an RS that has a completely different layout, is it still an RS? To me it's not, RS has always been about homologation and should stay that way. The more an RS gets removed from the race car the less developed the car will be. We've seen the problems in the GT3 engine situation already - lets not head down the path of less chassis development as the factory team is running a completely different layout....
That's what the current GT3-R is for. It's homologated from the RS. Uses the same DFI motor. That chassis and motor have already shown to be fantastic in competition. It shares the same McPherson strut front suspension. So the current RS couldn't be any closer to the it's homologated race car brother. So why the beef about the RSR?

There is always going to be a "Cup" or "GT3-R" type customer race car based more closely on road going version.....not the $900,000 GTE/LM Pro race cars....

Maybe this is new GTE is actually the test basis for their next production model......or just a patch until their next mid-engine race car, and supercar shows up......who knows.

None of the 991 based RSR's were even homologated from the RS anyway. The current RSR has A-arm suspension, a mezger motor, and lots of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with its homologation car, which I believe is a 991 C4S. Who cares if they punt the motor forward at this point?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:04 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't care what they call it or how close it is to the street car for this particular class. I just want it to propel Porsche into the winners circle! It's basically a more modern 911 GT1 or going even further back, similar in spirit to the 1974 911 RSR Turbo 2.14. I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't a proper RSR either.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I really don't care what they call it or how close it is to the street car for this particular class. I just want it to propel Porsche into the winners circle! It's basically a more modern 911 GT1 or going even further back, similar in spirit to the 1974 911 RSR Turbo 2.14. I don't think anyone would argue that it wasn't a proper RSR either.
Yes the 993 "based" GT1 is a good analogy. I think it shared front headlights and window screen with the road car lol!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

I'm surprised you guys want to relive the 9A1 situation again. I'm done with paying to be a Beta tester. Porsche should get back to joint development of the race car and street car, not having the race car follow 5+ years later.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

On a related topic, anyone see that rare GT1 EVO on Legendary Motorcars a few weeks back? Wicked car.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,044 Likes on 2,847 Posts

I'm surprised you guys want to relive the 9A1 situation again. I'm done with paying to be a Beta tester. Porsche should get back to joint development of the race car and street car, not having the race car follow 5+ years later.
Supposedly the motor in the 991.2 GT3 (non-RS) is a development of GT3-R race car motor. Not yet sure what to expect with RS...
Old 05-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Supposedly the motor in the 991.2 GT3 (non-RS) is a development of GT3-R race car motor. Not yet sure what to expect with RS...
They are all a development from the 991.1 MA17x family I think you will find Grant. By 2016 MY the engine was nigh identical to RS save crankshaft and capacity. What we are seeing is evolution from MA 176. The racing engine supposedly similar but they are remaining tight lipped for now. Without doubt the engine in the road and race car will become more aligned next generation. Will be good to see you in a 911 next time and you should be satisfied as I believe they will build a manual...
Old 05-13-2016, 05:40 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

If is true we will see as rumored a new 3.6/3,8 lightweight Turbo
in next 991.2 RS used as homologation Base for 2017 991 RSR

then there will be close to zero relation
between 991.1 RS and 2017 991 RSR

and of course there was zero relation between 991.1 RS with previous 991 RSR (based on 997 RS 4.0 engine until 2016)

Last edited by fxz; 05-13-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
No they don't. They just need a technical waiver, which happens more frequently than you think. BMW got them with the M3 GT2....it had a rear mounted gearbox (for better weight distribution), and used a flat plane crank V8, and altered suspension pick-up points.....homologated from the E92 M3. That car ran in ALMS and 24-hr Le-Mans.

Virtually every manufacturer lobbies for waivers some are bigger than others. Some you hear about, most you don't. For the front engine cars, the placement of the engine is so far back, it's called FM (front-mid).....in reality that is all Porsche is going for, a layout which allows them to put the engine further inboard to also fully utilize the rear diffusers now, which they currently can't. How to achieve that from the waiver is the question........

Call it what you will, either mid-engine, or rear-mid. The questions will be:

1. Will they simply push the same motor/trans layout further into the chassis?

2. Will they make it a "true" mid-engine and swap motor and trans locations?

3. How much did the wheel base grow, if any?
Agree with the above comments. There was a moment that Porsche considered the 960 for GT Le Mans racing but they made the decision that the 911 will always big the flagship for top level racing. Its important for marketing. They have always stated that the 911 will always have a flat 6. So one would have imagine that it will be a turbo - it needs the torque of a turbo to be competitive. The are comments published that they will get the technical waiver to move the engine forward as MVEZ has stated.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 PM
Rennlist Editor
Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front page news!

Thought the front page would be interested too...
https://rennlist.com/articles/gte-sp...ce-racing-911/

Quick Reply: Porsche Motorsports release pictures of their 2017 911 GTE Pro contender....