996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Completed back to back days at the Ridge with Turn 2. What a blast! Missed the rain on Friday and caught an 80* day on Saturday. Track was hot by 10:30 both days making for great lapping. Lots of interesting cars came out including a McLaren MP12C, Lamb Aventador, bunch of stock cars, Radical Racers, lots of GT3s/RS/Cup Cars and more.

Learned a ton by riding in a few GT3 and Pro3 cars to see their lines, braking/shifting, etc. Great drivers and guys all around. Took about 15 pages of notes over the weekend ultimately leading to a new personal best at 1:56:81. Previously I was at the 2:00 mark and now I can consistently put down 1:58s with anything higher being caused by traffic. Owe a ton to everyone I've spoken or ridden with over the past few weeks, its starting to show!

Day 1's Best:

Day 2's Best:

Another first, I also unfortunately had my first on track tow of this year. Thankfully it was minor. The shift linkage bushing on the bottom of the shifter popped out while I was exiting the Thumb between 2nd and 3rd gear leaving me without being able to put the car into gear. Got towed back into the paddock, took the center console out and had the car back up and running in 15 minutes.

Just got the car off the lift after installing the Numeric Cup Cables. So, so, so, much better. They're firm but I can feel the gear selection much better than before, it helps with confidence but I'll have more on this after the upcoming day back at the Ridge this Saturday. Shifting points at the Thumb and the Kink will help me judge this a little further.

More to come

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That wheel/rubber combination looks mean!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM
vandersmith
Pro

After getting the shift cables installed, while under the car we noticed that either the RMS or IMS is leaking. Nothing too bad but its going to need to go back to the shop. As there were done within 12 months, this will be warrantied work.

Since they will be pulling the transmission off, starting to look at LSDs to make it worth everyone's while. Quaife is a no go as its only setup for accel, not decel. WaveTrac doesn't seem to be track ready for balancing the car under hard braking. Considering the Guards LSDs at the moment.

Also, been talking with the guys at Aasco and have calmed my stance quite a bit on the LWFW debate. Their lightweight flywheel and a new sprung clutch are going in as well!

Last edited by vandersmith; 05-04-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

What changed your mind on the LWFW?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Slakker
What changed your mind on the LWFW?
I read every article and post I could find and there's really a lot of misinformation out there. Spoke with Aasco, Tarret, Rennline, Rothsport and others.

Bottom line is that a lot of people approve. There may have been a few issues that were posted on the internet but I haven't found anything in my research to persuade me not to install it. There were 7x 911s of various years and models with Aasco LWFW at the track this weekend and all of them reported zero issues. Many were second or third time users as they upgraded to newer or different models.

I've run LWFW on all of my track cars (when inside of spec) and haven't had an issue.

As a plus, since the shop needs the tranny out to perform warranty work on my IMS/RMS and I already have all of the parts, why not get it installed for free?
Old 05-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Makes sense.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Ahh! My car is at the dealership having my LWFW removed for a new stock dual mass! You'll enjoy the LWFW though it's heaps of fun, just not for the street.

The rattle is what got me...

I concluded the same thing there really is no substantial evidence on the LWFW debate. However Jake R says don't do it and IMO he seems the most knowledgeable engine builder so out it comes. That's my stace anyway, definitely don't want to derail this thread.

Performance wise it's awesome!!
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

My LWFW and clutch assembly going in now, car is at shop getting IMS RMS done.

I read a lot of posts about pros and cons.

I also called asco, they settled my concerns.

I am old school drag racer, and believe in balancing.

I found a complete center balanced kit at Patrick Motorsports.

They used a drilling process to do the balancing. Everything is paint coded after balancing, they include all new bolts as well.

IMO, this should address vibration issues should they arise.

Check them out, I am curious about OP thoughts on the balancing.

The entire kit including bearing was $2k.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:50 AM
dan_189
Race Car

IMO the balancing is critical.

I didn't know the history or brand of the one put in by the previous owner the documentation just said "installed light weight flywheel". So out it comes.

I think it puts more strain on the gearbox too but if you drive it right you'd be fine
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Both the Patrick Motorsports and Aasco kits are computer balanced. There's not really much more for me to say there. I've had flywheels machined and lightened before, I don't see any need here. When you look at the kit, there's really not much to tell - its beautiful. When you talk to the guys, you understand the level of engineering underway. I won't be doing any balance checks and trust their craftsmanship.

For the clutch, I will say it does make a lot of sense to me and others to go sprung. There's more information on here you can search for but essentially I'm going with the equivalent to the Sachs Performance. New pilot, release, pressure plate, etc. No sense in not doing it.

I've already installed the lightweight pulley and expect the LWFW will spin even more 'freely' than it might have without.

EVOMS will be updating my tune file to adjust for idle - help with stalling, etc.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 PM
dan_189
Race Car

I had the sprung sachs performance disk and a cargraphic underdrive pulley as well. Puts the onus on the driver to be more on the ball when changing gears to take care of the gearbox.

All the tech aside, what are your impressions on how it drives? Or has it not been installed yet for either or you?
Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default Track Prep

After multiple events (7 track days this year) and riding with a lot of highly skilled drivers, I'm starting to get close to running a decent line at Pacific and the Ridge. My lap times are coming down quickly. I started with 2:00 as my best at the Ridge, then 1:59, then 1:58, then 1:56 with consistent 1:58s.

Last week was a warm one running back to back days at the Ridge with Turn 2. In the afternoon I ended up getting some brake fade by the afternoon. Even with the hotter pads and larger front rotors I still clocked my front pads at nearly 400* after a no brakes cool down lap. May need to start cruising to the end of the street and back after each session.

Or I just need to brake less and get more air to the fronts. I'm cooking RS29s after a hard session. Before I go to Pagid blacks, wanted to give this a shot:

Quick Brake Pad Shot:

Hopefully the solution. GT2 versus GT3 front brake ducts. The $300 difference. The new ones are friggin huge!

Installation requires modifying the front fender liners. Go grab your dremel:

Before

After

Installation complete. These put all of the air right on the rotor! Removed both front dust shields too after seeing a ton of tire rubber bits caught from the track.

Size Comparison
Old 05-06-2016, 02:59 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Just finished track prepping, bleeding the brakes, adjusting suspension, etc.

Here's a shot of them from ground level so you can see how much lower they sit and more functional they (probably) are:

Old 05-06-2016, 04:28 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Default Track Season List Update:

Engine
GT3 Throttle Body
IPD 82mm Plenum
EVOMS Intake and new MAF Sensor
EVOMS 92 Tune
RSS Underdrive Pulley
Exhaust: SS Headers, X-Pipe, Hi-Flow Cats and Mufflers - 997 Quad Tips
LN Dual Row IMS Upgrade
FVD X51 Deep Oil Sump, Baffle and Pan
LN Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter and Magnetic Sleeve
RMS/997 AOS
Upgraded Alternator
New Coils/NGK Plugs
Water Pump and Low Temp Thermostat
Function First Motor Mounts

Drivetrain
Numeric Racing Competiton Shifter
Numeric Cup Cables
AASCO Lightweight Flywheel
Clutch Masters FX250 Clutch/Pressure Plate
OS Giken LSD

Brakes
GT3 Calipers with Racing Brake SS Pistons/High Temp Seals
Street - Textar Pads - Front/Rear
Track - Pagid RS29 - Front/Rear
Coleman 2-Piece Slotted Rotors - Front/Rear
Motul RBF 600 Brake Fluid
SS Brake Lines - Front/Rear
GT2 Brake Ducts - Front/Rear

Suspension
KW V3 Coilovers
H&R Sway Bars - Front/Rear
Tarett Endlinks - Front/Rear
Tarett Monoball Camber Plates - Front/Rear
GT3 Control Arms - Front/Rear
Upgraded Thrust Arms
Adjustable Rear Dogbones and Toe Links
Powerflex Bushings
Corner Balanced with -3/-2.5 Camber

Wheels
Street - HRE 540 19x9/19x12 with MSS (235/315)
Street - Turbo Hollow Twists with Falken Azenis (235/295)
Track - CCW C10 18x10/18x12 with NT01s (235/315)
Apex Wheel Studs

Interior
Agency Power Half Roll Cage
Sparco EVO 2 Seats
Recaro Side Mounts
Planted Seat Mounts
Sparco 6pt Harnesses
GT3 Console Delete
Ecliptech Shift Light
Rennline Short Hub and Quick Release
Momo Monte Carlo 350mm Steering Wheel
Valentine One
Dension Gateway 500 with Bluetooth
Track - AIM Solo DL
Track - GoPro 3+/Kodak SP360 4K
Track - Schroth Hans/Black Armor SA2015 Helmet

Exterior
Street - OEM Front 4S Lip
Track - Turbo Front Lip
Misha GT2M Rear Wing Insert
Paint Correction
Rolled Rear Fenders

Last edited by vandersmith; 05-06-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

And on the 7th day, he rested.... Great build. What's next?

Quick Reply: New 996 Owner. 1st Porsche.