Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need help with replacement seal/cross-reference for 2001 tiptronic output flange

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015 | 10:00 PM
MNCsabi
3rd Gear

Default Need help with replacement seal/cross-reference for 2001 tiptronic output flange

2001 Porsche 996 tiptronic with seal leak at driver side final drive output shaft.

part #0734 319 419

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 02-08-2015 | 10:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

#3 here? http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=320-03
Old 02-09-2015 | 10:42 PM
MNCsabi
3rd Gear

Default Thanks for the help

I appreciate the assist; unfortunately I have already gone down that route with one wrong seal, (curb side) from Germany.
I was looking for the specific seal out of the four listed before I placed a “special” order, (another) since all my online parts sources have to “special order” these from the old country.
Anyway, I was finally able to source local.
VW part #01L409399, (parts guy was a real jerk, not very helpful).
Napa has as well, (where I purchased part).
Seal for drivers side final drive flange, tiptronic.
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:49 PM
Device2
Racer

Smile

Glad I saw this thread because I had the same issue a while back when I developed a small Differential shaft seal Oil leak on the driver side (left Axle flange). So I wanted to contribute the info I had for the similar part. Since after looking and ordering about 5 separate seals similar to "MNCsabi" I found this thread and ordered the part number that my particular seal had etched on it. Which was ZF P/N: 0734-319-419 my car is an 00 996 with the ZF Tip installed. I also ordered the same P/N: 01L409399 which is a cross-reference P/N and the same size and everything matched perfectly. So there is 3 part number that can be utilized to procure the same seal and prices range from $12 to $38. After finding the appropriate part number it was easy to find a replacement and bargain shop for the replacement part.

Funny thing is when I received a second order that I had placed in search of the correct seal because I too kept on getting small ones that did not even fit the output shaft flange. I ordered P/N:01L409399 from my local Autostore and received this seal Porsche P/N: 99639700400, which fit perfectly. The replacement was an easy DIY I just removed the CV drive shaft, moved it to the side enough to remove the flange after having removed the center bolt which was a Torx tip #45 I think and which holds the flange in place. Then removed the old seal and installed new one. Made sure it was seated properly then sprayed and cleaned off grime with engine degreaser, bam! Good as new and road worthy enough to take the car up on the PCH 1 for a fun drive with no further leaks. I did top of the fluid with some Mobil 1 75w-90, no issues since. If anyone needs more info also feel free to contact me I have a copy of the whole ZF transition Parts breakdown internal and external with Part numbers as result of the search for the right sized seal.

Last edited by Device2; 04-29-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2017 | 04:53 PM
Qtonic
Track Day

How far does the seal seat? After some difficulty I got the replacement in evenly. It looks similar to the above photo, but I think it could go in further if it's meant to sit flush with the inner lip. Unfortunately I didn't notice or measure before removing the original.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2017 | 07:51 PM
Device2
Racer

Qtonic, to answer your question indeed on my re-install I just insured it was the same as the one I removed and that the seal was flush with the inter-ring bevelled edge. BTW, a year+ and a few more miles of smiles on the odometer later and no leak.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Need help with replacement seal/cross-reference for 2001 tiptronic output flange