Sponsored by:

Made a friend in the parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:22 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Made a friend in the parking lot

Not bad, first time seeing one in person. If it had a proper gear box and NA engine, I'd own one
Old 04-17-2016, 04:28 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts

It's amazing how much better the 991 looks. I'm sure despite the turbo and the transmission it's still a fun car.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:06 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

i'm a fan of the Alfa cars...especially of the 4c design.....i owned a Milano Verde at one point.....loved its looks, cabin, and speed, but man was it a crappy car otherwise. the upcoming 505hp Giulia Quad is a looker in my eyes as well. my only problem with it is that it looks just like a BMW sedan.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:09 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

It's a beautiful car- carbon fiber tub but really, really harsh suspension. At 6' 2" I can only fit in the targa version - and not safely to be honest. I seriously considered it as I have a Ghibli for a daily driver.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:31 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
It's a beautiful car- carbon fiber tub but really, really harsh suspension. At 6' 2" I can only fit in the targa version - and not safely to be honest. I seriously considered it as I have a Ghibli for a daily driver.
I'm curious about your experience with Ghibli. Can you say a few words?
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Sure. I have the SQ4 which is the AWD model with slightly more hp and torque - 400hp/404 ft lbs or thereabouts.

The car is just a fantastic driver. It has a ZF 8 speed and drove dung in the mode you have it in shifts very fast - not PDK fast, but faster than AMGs as I had a 2012 C63 with a development package.

I have the sport package which comes with PZero Summer tires . The ride was a little too firm for daily driving and I put some Perrelli All-Eeasons rated for the Ghibli on and it's really dialed in nicely now. The sport package also has Koni shocks which have been the only thing the dealer replaced because the original set-up had the car running too low.

I have almost 14k mikes in it - no mechanical issues other than software reflashes.

The only complaint I have is the "premium stereo" which I opted for that stinks - like transistor radio bad. I tried to live with it but I can't so I'm having it upgraded with a higher- end aftermarket shop.

The car is solid, 5 star crash rating. Doors close with a thud. Maserati bought the old Bertone factory, gutted it and now makes the Quattroporte and Ghibli there. They've also come out with an SUV the Lavante and have plans for a 911esque coupe.

The only word of caution is that unlike a German car, anytime you want to access something - like a heated seat you have to go through the information touch screen. All the electronics in the car are Dodge, which is part of the reason the stereo is so bad -that's how they keep the cost down and frankly the only weakness if the car. The switches are Dodge derived too but you opulent know it - they're solid.

In 2017 the "premium stereo" will be a Harmon Karden unit and will be fine.

Depreciation is also big but starting to level off. A lot if 14 cars had software not mechanical issues which have been addresses. Finally there's a world of difference between the interior on a 65k Ghibli and a 85K Ghibli.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
It's amazing how much better the 991 looks.
Hmmm... Taste is a personal matter, but I think anytime you look at a 991 from a side angle, and especially sitting within sight of a car like the Alfa, the massive front (and rear, but more front) overhang is brought into context. I think wheels pushed out to the corners looks much better than two feet of trunk hanging out ahead of them.

I'm happy to have that storage and I get that in order to have it as well as comfortable leg room inside you have to have those overhangs (or go to a wheelbase that's 18" longer, which would be terrible for dynamics.) But just speaking visually, I am always wanting to view the water-cooled Porsche's from front or rear 3/4, and not from any angle that shows the overhangs.

Quick Reply: Made a friend in the parking lot