Sponsored by:

New Bilstein B8's with H&R Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:03 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fully agree with both of you!
I would not go to the expense/effort to replace upper strut mounts without replacing the full strut on both sides/both ends.
Now trying to figure out what parts I need and where to get them.
From Canada, it is not a simple task to get the best deal given our weak dollar at this moment in time.
dporto, your 1st email certainly helped!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
Further to my last, NYoutftr, if you don't mind, what type of shockmount did you get? Same as dporto's or stock?
I went with all OEM Porsche except for front strut mounts, but they were quality stock replacement.

I purchased most all the parts from Suncoast or ECS.

I even ordered all new , dust boots, nuts and washers.

There are plastic coil spring plates, they come in different sizes (mm).

I could not find out which sizes I had in my car, so I purchased both OEM.

There was at least another item the same way, I still have sealed up in plastic bags.

I would give you a good deal on them if they would work for you.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:15 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

My car is daily driver as well as autocross and soon, my first DE in May.
I did not know how "Streetable" the aftermarket parts were, so I played it safe.
Alignment specs were all put to stock after complete suspension was installed, again playing it safe.
I will probably alter the specs of alignment after I completely understand competitive alignment, right now I do not.
I can say with certainty you will not be sorry if you 1) go with B8 shocks, 2) replace all wearable parts, 3) go with a proven lowering coil spring.

Good Luck, and take your time!!!!

"If you can't do it right, you surely can't do it twice"
Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Cab top Guide & Hook Caps

posting error.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
Fully agree with both of you!
I would not go to the expense/effort to replace upper strut mounts without replacing the full strut on both sides/both ends.
Now trying to figure out what parts I need and where to get them.
From Canada, it is not a simple task to get the best deal given our weak dollar at this moment in time.
dporto, your 1st email certainly helped!
Hey, sorry I missed your post - I was out of town for a few days (15th - 18th) and then crazy busy when I got back...just saw it now. Anyway, yes it helps to have anything you need BEFORE you start the job. Unfortunately you don't REALLY know until you take everything apart. One mistake I made was replacing my front wheel bearings when I really didn't need to (I don't think) - at least it was only $100 in parts and my time...Tire Rack stocks the Bilstein B8's (around $600). I got a good deal from ECS on the rears (around $400). If you can do without the car for a little while, It would really help to get everything taken apart and checked before you start ordering parts ***** nilly.
Good Luck
Old 04-26-2016, 01:32 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks again, dporto.
Unfortunately, I use it as a daily driver, so I can't afford too much down time. Hence my trying to figure out what to replace in 1 shot.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

delete
Old 06-25-2016, 01:44 AM
snowfarmer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you ship to Canada?

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
Yeah most people don't realize their suspension is worn out till they replace it, definitely a good maintenance item on our cars.

-Jason
Old 06-14-2023, 08:04 PM
tommygee
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Yeah, I actually got a price from Gert that was really good, but by the time I was able to do it, the exchange rate had reversed, so I was able to get them a little cheaper here (Tire Rack and ECS). Re: Camber plates... They're actually less expensive than the stock top mounts for the C4 - that's really why I got them - and I'm happy I did. The right side camber is a little out of spec. I think the best they could do was - 1.56 the left was in spec at - 1.24 (these are from memory so maybe not totally accurate) I think I need a bump steer kit to get them in spec. The rears were ok with the stock mounts (according to the readout). Here are a couple pics.

Question for you: Did you have to disassemble the front spring perches and transfer them to the B8s? I just got my B8s in the mail and can't fully understand why they don't have perches. The guy at FCP verified that these are definitely for a C4S and says he figures its a transfer of the perches.

Thanks and excellent ride!
Old 06-14-2023, 10:09 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,414 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Originally Posted by tommygee
Question for you: Did you have to disassemble the front spring perches and transfer them to the B8s? I just got my B8s in the mail and can't fully understand why they don't have perches. The guy at FCP verified that these are definitely for a C4S and says he figures its a transfer of the perches.

Thanks and excellent ride!

What did u buy? if its just the shock them yes i have to fully dissassemble the strut.

Quick Reply: New Bilstein B8's with H&R Lowering springs