Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 944's were new.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

sooooo, what if I were to reveal that some of this stuff is also in my 'group' ?

Would crushed beer cans start getting thrown , and instead of Warsteiner on them, the labels said Bud or Miller ?
Old 03-25-2016, 03:56 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Gasp! Is that an AMERICAN car in the stable! Color me surprised. They made to many of those to interest MGJ.

Do they spit oil at each other when your not looking?

I guess as long as they are not early forties cars at least bolts won't be flying. Hopefully...

By the way, I like the Chevy... What else ya got. And exactly how many garages do you have! Lol
Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Yeah, there are a few of them out there in a couple of garages or so...... /-'

Thanks for the compliments and love for the cars. Porsches are a passion of mine, and great cars are hard to find, so I do my best to take care of them with a level of pride and preservation with an eye toward keeping them fit for the next caretaker...... hopefully not before another 3 or 4 decades pass !
Great collection of cars! Didn't realize quite how dedicated you were to 944s! My hat is off to you sir! In addition to being a 944 fan, I love the impact bumper 911s of the 70's and 80s...and what a cool color! I've never ridden in a 914, just admired them from afar but its nice to see people starting to appreciate them...I guess you reached that appreciation level sooner than most.

I...am looking for a really GREAT S2 Cabriolet in all original condition in a unique color combination.

I won't list all the other Porsches I want to own and most likely never will. We ALL have that same list, and it's like going to the grocery store and wanting to fill the cart, but reach in the pocket and only come up with dimes..........
Love the S2 Cabriolet. Drove one once many years ago and really liked it. My uncle has a white one with burgundy top and interior that he bought new, from a Porsche dealer that has been gone for at least 2 decades.

Yes, as for reaching into pockets and coming up with dimes...its the age old story, only so much time, money, and garage space!

Originally Posted by EliteThink
WE all wanted to be Jake in the movie sixteen candles though... :-)
My wife always calls it the Jake Ryan car. I had one when were first dating.

On our second date, it was very cold outside, my car didn't have central locking, so after being a gentleman and unlocking her side and letting her in, I discovered the driver's side door lock was frozen solid. She couldn't even pull up the door lock by hand. Needless to say it was a bit embarrassing asking her to get out of the car so I could climb over the console and shifter to get into the drivers seat. Although, she always jokes about learning how flexible I was on that date.

Originally Posted by 951Dreams

MGJ doesn't normally list all his Porsches, but when he does, he exceeds the space limits!
So true!!!

=
sooooo, what if I were to reveal that some of this stuff is also in my 'group' ?

Would crushed beer cans start getting thrown , and instead of Warsteiner on them, the labels said Bud or Miller ?
Tarring and feathering you had crossed my mind...but nah...forget it. I'm not really an American car guy, but there are a few I would love to own just for the heck of it, if my short list of Porsches and other Eurpean cars were completed, maybe a 65 Pontiac GTO, "Smokey & the Bandit Trans Am", and maybe a 1960's Sheby Mustang GT350.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:08 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

One of these days I'll figure out how to multi quote messages like you just did. I, for the life of me, can't figure out how to do it right. So much easier on other boards I've used..

Anyway, while I did love my "Smokey and the bandit" Trans Am (mine just looked like one, wrong year/engine) if I had to pick any of them, it would be another 98 GTA, best handling car I ever owned till the Porsche, or a 89 Turbo Trans Am.... MAYBE a Buick Grand National. I've getting like MGJ, I don't just want one, and want a RARE one.

But I think my days of GM/Ford cars are over. I might play with some old MOPAR stuff sometime, what I've had from that family of cars were all junk, but some of the older stuff was pretty awesome.

But I think I'll stick to German, British, Italian, or Japanese. Spent enough of my life elbow deep in SBC's.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:50 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EliteThink
WE all wanted to be Jake in the movie sixteen candles though... :-)
Momentarily.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I think these graphics and colors would look stellar on a 944/951, as a sort of tribute to this GS class winning 911 of RUM-BUM Racing @ Daytona's ROLEX 24 Hour- 2015. ( sadly @ this years event this great car did not look this good at the end, nor score as well. )

What are your thoughts ?

I think it's one of the most beautiful Porsches to ever set tread to track......
Old 03-26-2016, 01:57 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Would it work on a vintage 944/951/968 or would it come off all wrong ? ( It's a custom vinyl wrap as many modern race cars now wear )
Old 03-26-2016, 02:20 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

That's 'old Scruffy' in the center image, my highest mileage, most 'needy' 944; an '84- M456 wearing '88- Carrera Jubilee/Celebration FUCHS in Diamond Blue Metallic. It's a Zermatt car with a mediocre repaint ( flattening but still shiny, peeling lightly on edges ) and would be a prime candidate for a premium grade wrap.

This car came with a set of polished satin (full) FUCHS and also has this set of FUCHS I bought for it. There is also a set of cookie cutters, and a set of 16 inch FUCHS forged seven spoke Gullydoeckels for the car. It has full leather Sport Seats in black, but they are showing the effects of heat, age, and general wear. I plan to have them recovered in original Porsche leather soon.

(photo taken @ Porsche Parade 2013- Traverse City, MI., hence the lot full of Porsches !)

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 03-26-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:49 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

------ side view of 'ol Scruffy' in another lot @ Parade in MI.- 2013. We were lining up to do an all day drive thru the lakes and Hill Country in and around the vineyards, Great Lake, and small, quaint villages that surround Traverse City. WHAT a GREAT Parade it was. Sleeping Bear Dunes is incredible.

I somehow, upon pre-registering @ Parade/2013, was randomly given entry #456. The same # option code which denotes the Sport Konis, Sport springs, and front and rear anti-sway bars this '84 came with from Porsche, when it was delivered to the first owner in Glendale, CA. ( It went to Las Vegas when she died to her nephew, who sold it to me after only putting on a few hundred miles. This is the car I bought for hardly anything, because it wasn't running.)

Cause ? Dropped out set screw in the distributor rotor; the seller thought it was a broken t-belt. (-:

-------I never have taken those 'Porsche Parade' numbers off; it's in the garage still proudly wearing them today !
Old 03-27-2016, 02:07 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Would it work on a vintage 944/951/968 or would it come off all wrong ? ( It's a custom vinyl wrap as many modern race cars now wear )
Sorry, but I never really think the racing tribute colors look good on street cars. I've seen people do it with 997GT3s and I always think it looks silly. But if it makes the owner happy, so be it.

That's 'old Scruffy' in the center image, my highest mileage, most 'needy' 944; an '84- M456 wearing '88- Carrera Jubilee/Celebration FUCHS in Diamond Blue Metallic.
Thanks for clarifying the wheel color on "Old Scruffy." I was wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me as the Fuchs centers didn't look the same as the color on the body. I love Diamond Blue Metallic. There are a few 88 Anniversary Diamond Blue Carreras still in my area. I remember as a teenager seeing them new in the dealership. I thought the diamond blue interior and "F.Porsche" embroidered script in the headrest was very cool.

Hell you have several 944s in stock colors, if you don't mind a non-original color on Scruffy, have him repainted Diamond Blue Metallic.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the comments.

All of my 944s are stock Porsche colors. This old gurl would be the first experiment with something unique, and those Jubilee rims would come off and go on (hopefully) another Jubilee/Celebration 911 where they belong. ( I have had two deals wash on me and get sent overseas to buyers on both a coupe and a cabriolet. These rims were originally off a very low mile cab. who the seller DID sell overseas, and the buyer wanted the Chrome FUCHS on it instead ! ).

I only have them on the '44 to get some use off the rubber before it times out. The car would then become a weekend track car after a few updates, wheel change, etc., because I no longer wish to use the one which is the dedicated track car now..... the sunroof delete/ delete special. It has too much history to lose if something should go awry , go 'out of bounds' and become a victim.

Hence the thought towards a wrap. No, I don't like the look of the track look on the street either. It is either / or for me.

I will post a photo of the delete car when I get back home from Easter services and dinner with the family. Suns coming up and gotta hit the trail.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

944's are rare to see on the road. There less rare to see not working and parked in a field, driveway or in storage. I have gone thru a few myself. I have 5 still in my yard. An 86 944 as my daily driver. Two 87 944S one is for parts one needs interior attention, an 89 944 just because it's an 89 944, and my holly grail I'm building with my 87 951 which many would droul over when I'm done. Even myself. I gave an 86 944 to my brother for a daily driver. I cut up and 89 auto chassis, junked another 86 951(my first one), sold a 87 951 race chassis many moons ago. I think that's it. So I've gone thru 9 total. One would conclude that I like these cars. But only a few have been on the road. 4 out of the 5 I have are road worthy now thou. But I can only drive one at a time. I've seen one other in my area in the last six months besides mine and not counting my brothers.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:41 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

'84- 944- Sunroof delete, Delete special taken in my yard right before an event

Grey Beige partial leather seats look great after 40,000 track miles, because they were non-participants. The first owner plugged in sport Recaros , stored these in his garage attic, then put them back in after the car was repainted and before it was sold on. He had the car for most of it's life and sold it to get another track car. He also owned a 908, hence the numbers which he used on both cars @ track on D.E. days @ R.America, Road Atlanta, and a few others in the upper Midwest and Southeast.
This 944 has a sport exhaust, 3 sets of wheels, and a host of "delete" items he ordered out when new in 1983. It came in around Dec./ '83 to a dealer in the Chicago area. It has a very quick acceleration curve and handles VERY well, even tho it went back to a pretty non aggressive alignment after his sale.

---- one of the few smooth tops to make it to America and survive the rigors of track duty
Old 03-27-2016, 10:56 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone else have their original window sticker? Here's mine.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
944's are rare to see on the road. There less rare to see not working and parked in a field, driveway or in storage. I have gone thru a few myself.
Sadly, I rarely see them on the road these days. I've probably seen 3 or 4 in the last 6 months, but that is nothing compared to when I used to see them back in the 1980s or 1990s (when I would see a few each week).

'84- 944- Sunroof delete, Delete special taken in my yard right before an event

Grey Beige partial leather seats look great after 40,000 track miles, because they were non-participants.
Love the 928 style flat dish wheels on 944s and 944 Turbos. I think they look better on 944s than they ever did on 928s. Also cool that yours don't have the side rub strips...although, I think again those looked better on 944s than on 928s.

My gray beige partial leather seats wore incredibly well. Even after 106,000 miles they hardly looked any different than yours.

Originally Posted by odonnell
Anyone else have their original window sticker? Here's mine.
Very cool. Always fun to see the old window stickers.

Quick Reply: When 944's were new.