Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When 944's were new.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:49 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 152 Posts

MGJ... The Most Interesting Porsche Enthusiast in the World...

And I say this with humor & respect

BTW; what type of beer do you drink?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:27 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheers !

you guys are trying to turn this into a " Cult of Personality " column ~

This is funny. I am actually described by Pink as she sings in her song RAISE YOUR GLASS:

"too skool for cool". Not the most interesting anything.

Yes, I am the guy who sat at the back of Science, German, and Math classes in high school and college in the very last row and took notes fastidiously....... I say this only several hours after leaving our local weekly discussion group which meets at one of the four colleges in town. Kinda dry and philosophical stuff; a lecture and discussion seminar on "Science, Religion, and Philosophy". Sometimes we have NASA astronauts speak. Sometimes retired teachers and Philosophers or current teachers and Philosophers. Not long ago we had one of the 'POTUS advisors on Foreign Affairs' hold a 3 hour discourse ( spell binding ) on the current affairs on the Mid East, Afghanistan, ISIS, and world terrorism. War as he saw it and was immersed in it. It is a diverse group, and sometimes like today you just have to get up and leave, because it rubs one all the wrong way and the dude is speaking about 8 levels up in the Ionosphere.
Or, you believe he/she is totally nuts. Both of which is why I checked out early and came home to read these Forums instead.

It's this which interests me, or FAST Sports Cars, MOMENTUM Sports Cars (= think 944 or TR6 or BMW 2002s ), or Baseball, Sport Fishing, Offshore Boating, Guns and Hunting, Dogs, FAST Sport Bikes, and slow, heavy Cruisers. Old Honda Motorcycles from the 50s, 60s, 70s. Vintage firearms and sidearms. Old bicycles, pottery, and American History.

Anything involving Racing. Especially IMSA, TRANS-AM, Indy Car. Personal track time. ( Just got my new '15 SNELL rated helmet last month ).

And,

any German Bier put in front of me I didn't have to pay for !
The more golden the better. (So, American Beers are also good, just NOT as good. Craft beers are an exception.)
/-;}

But, one thing is clear to me. This isn't about me.

It IS all about our favorite German Sports Cars........

Thanks for the accolades, but there are far more serious and dedicated, more knowledgeable, and track proficient folks here on this forum than I.

CHEERS to them, and to us all who love the Marque ! ! !
Old 03-23-2016, 02:51 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

On another forum, in another 944 world, I have a true meme about MGJ... I can't post it here cause work blocks photo sharing sites, but the Chuck Norris thing aside, MGJ has his very own meme.

Was this you being modest??? LOL

It's your passion we respond to MGJ, we may or may not agree with you, but everyone can see your passion.

At least this is an old old thread, so no one to yell at us for getting

I had a 1979 CB750L, loved that bike, but the carbs did me in. No one would work on them, and I've never seen a 4 carb setup that was more like clockwork than mechanics than that one. I started taking them apart once, to do a true rebuild. I realized once I got the first one off, that once I got all 3 apart, I'd never be able to figure out how to get them back together. Think I'd rather rebuild an automatic. (something I also won't do)

It sat for like 5 years at some apartments I lived at between marriages. I noticed it was gone one day... shrugged..... and thought "stolen or towed, maybe someone will get some use out of it now" Never investigated where it went. Still got the title though... LOL

But when it ran.... Oh, my, it was amazing!

Best bike I ever owned was a Virago 700. Really great bikes. Good weight, good power, nice sound. Great ride. Last forever.

My brother and I are the only car people in my family. So I missed out on all the great family car stories. He had a brand new Supera, then later a new RX8. Lot's of jeeps, and a 53 Mercury.

The only interesting thing my dad ever had was a propane pickup, in the 70's. And a few diesels.

I love hearing these stories from when these were new. I hope others chime in!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:15 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Oh man, I hope we hear from others as well.

I will admit (not endorsing) that a good Warsteiner is perhaps near or at the top of the scale of German Biers for me.......

And, if the RIGHT store is carrying it in volume, they will have it in those little Aluminum Pony Kegs. Great for having your crew over on a Saturday afternoon and swapping Porsche stories. In fact, awesome ~
Old 03-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

The dealer ordered for himself the exact same car but with color matched FUCHS and full leather sport seats. That car was Alpine White and stickered at over 30 with a set of 2 black leather Porsche jackets for him and his wife, and a pair of sheep skin seat covers, a bra, and paint and fabric protectant.

How did the bra fit? Was the wife happy with it?

More importantly, how did she look in it?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:16 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

When 944s were new, the owner's wore clothes that more-often-than-not featured shoulder pads--just like those on the cars. Purchasers of 924s didn't as the cars had no such puffery. The last picture represents typical owners of the latter model. While still dedicated followers of fashion, they DIDN'T listen to Wham. Or try to look like them.

The Proof

Attached Images     
Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm so confused by this thread.

But, as a child of the early 80s, I recall the new 944 very well. I got my driver's license in the summer of 1984. I loved 911s, but came from a very frugal, modest education family. Had to start delivering papers at 11 and never stopped working. Wealth wasn't displayed, but it didn't matter, we were barely above water.

So, the 944 was really the only realistically attainable Porsche dream a kid like me could have had. At $19,900 starting, when the 911 was $34,000, you knew you would never have young Christie Brinkley, but the homeroom honey may potentially one day be yours. And it only took me until 48 years old to actually buy one!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:30 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
I'm so confused by this thread.
I think since this was a resurrected, long dead thread, we're all taking the chance to ramble a bit.

After I had bought my Legend, I happened to one day run across the invoice from the dealer. $48,900 in 1994 dollars. Inflations calculators say that's $78,237 in today's dollars. So, I got myself a 80k car, just took 20 years of aging for me to be able to afford it!! LOL

BTW MGJ, your $28,800 84? $65,724.70 in today's dollars!

I've seriously kicked around a 944 for about 20 years. But it took that long for me to be able to afford one anyway. But honestly, couldn't be happier.

As far as seeing them goes, in the local 50 miles or so area... seen maybe 3 on craigslist... in 1.5 years of daily looking. I've NEVER seen one on the road... like EVER! They are around, but not many, and none for sale. I had to go 150 miles for mine. Expanding out to that range, I'd say I've seen maybe 10 for sale in the last 1.5 years.

2 951's. And one 951 my local PCA region sent me some info on. Two of those however were RUFF, like really bad. 1 is decent, just has a bad alternator.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:10 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

This is the last one I bought, an '86 with a pretty high compliment of options including leather Sport Seats in burgundy, the factory color matched FUCHS wheels, and a quite rare "Sport Touring" package.

This 944 originated from the central Rockies, then went to central MT. to a car collector with 58 vehicles, mostly Corvettes and high grade Muscle cars. This was his only Porsche.

I bought it with just over 28,000 actual miles last January...... it shows as factory crisp and new as the day it was built in Neckarsulm in 1986. No dings, no dash cracks, no worn or abraded leather. It smells new. It has all the tools, bag, bra, paperwork from day one with books and Monroney sticker included. A deal like this RARELY if ever surfaces and when I heard about it, I sealed the deal on the spot and wired him the money immediately. This sweetheart wasn't going anywhere except home to my garage to live with the two Guards Red, the two Zermatt, the two Satin Black, and the Ruby Red brothers waiting for it.

It brings me back to that summer day in 1984 when I picked up my Guards Red M456 car I waited for nearly 1 and 1/2 years for. This is nearly an identical match visually to the '84 car the Dealership owner bought for himself. A highly optioned, color matched FUCHS wheel normal in Alpine White.

And 32 years later I got the opportunity to bring back it's 'kissin cousin' and into the fold ~
Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans

This is the last one I bought, an '86 with a pretty high compliment of options including leather Sport Seats in burgundy, the factory color matched FUCHS wheels, and a quite rare "Sport Touring" package.

This sweetheart wasn't going anywhere except home to my garage to live with the two Guards Red, the two Zermatt, the two Satin Black, and the Ruby Red brothers waiting for it.

~
Wow, great story and I didn't realize you had several 944s in your collection. Are they all 2.5 944s, or are any a 944 S, 944S2, or Turbo? would love to see more photos, especially the interior of the white one pictured above...its a beauty!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:17 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dino944
Wow, great story and I didn't realize you had several 944s in your collection. Are they all 2.5 944s, or are any a 944 S, 944S2, or Turbo? would love to see more photos, especially the interior of the white one pictured above...its a beauty!
Oh gosh, you've done it now. I think the reason MGJ doesn't have it in his sig is he exceeds the space limits! LOL, he like's his 944's, and he likes them rare. Or at least med-rare.

Ask him about his 914 or his 911 too.... LOL... I think he's trying to give Jerry Seinfeld a run for his money! I won't steal his thunder by answering however. It's an impressive list.

MGJ doesn't normally list all his Porsches, but when he does, he exceeds the space limits!
MGJ once listed all his Porsches in a rennlist post, he ran the internet out of storage!

Thank you, thank you... I'm here all week.

I'll let Chuck "mrgreenjeans" Norris, the most interesting Porsche owner in the world, fill in the rest LOL
Old 03-24-2016, 07:47 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, there are a few of them out there in a couple of garages or so...... /-'

They are all normals but one black 951- M030. With Cup Chips and a set of FUCHS seven spokes, and a set of Cups on Pirelli P Zero stickies. Low mile '89 I bought from a friend who has a real Cup Turbo and a track Cup replica turbo. He owned it for most of it's life, and it is by and large a pristine car.

The Carrera is an '88 in Venetian Blue which was a Dr. ordered out, Tourist Delivery he picked up in Stuttgart. Low miles and perfect original paint.
Two litre 914 is Sunflower with Cinnamon interior. 60,000 mile , non rusted car. None of my cars are driven in, nor have been driven in winter or any corrosive road salts, so they do appear as new due in large part to previous owner's care.

My affection lies in Sport Suspension cars with LSD, non rusty or bent bodies, and with like new interiors. There is one, a Zermatt LSD car from Vegas which has some pretty cracked up Sport Seats so that one gets driven the most. The others are nice sunny day drivers with the intent to keep them looking good for the next car competition or show and shine.

Thanks for the compliments and love for the cars. Porsches are a passion of mine, and great cars are hard to find, so I do my best to take care of them with a level of pride and preservation with an eye toward keeping them fit for the next caretaker...... hopefully not before another 3 or 4 decades pass !
Old 03-24-2016, 07:59 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I don't have any S2 cars and am looking for a really GREAT S2 Cabriolet in all original condition in a unique color combination.
Also am looking to add a 968 ClubSport from Japan or Central Europe with pristine care.

As well as the top of the list: A 924 Carrera GT or S. They made hardly any R cars so that one is not gonna happen, more than likely.

Send any info my way if you know of any. I am really not interested in any S or early turbo cars, just the S2, 968, or maybe a Silver Rose/ Silberossa '88 turbo S or a 924 GTS or GT. I would love to own a cabriolet in this model 944 as well, the more unique the better.

I won't list all the other Porsches I want to own and most likely never will. We ALL have that same list, and it's like going to the grocery store and wanting to fill the cart, but reach in the pocket and only come up with dimes..........
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WE all wanted to be Jake in the movie sixteen candles though... :-)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

sorry for the blurry, tiny photo.

Better ones to come once I get back to the garages , open them up, and clean some Porsches up.

Quick Reply: When 944's were new.