Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1978 Porsche 911 SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Fairway
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Porsche 911 SC

Year: 2016
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 911
Mileage (numbers only please): 280340
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Leather Seats
Color: Beige
VIN: 9118201599
Price (no $ sign please): $17500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorCal
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

This a two owner car. I bought it in 1983 and have owned the car since then. The car has never been in an accident nor has it been modified or raced. The car is completely stock except for the radio but that can be readily changed back.

The chassis has about 280,000 mile on it, but not the drive train. I have replaced or rebuilt everything over time; axles, gears, transmission, clutch and engine. I have torn apart and rebuilt the engine three times (just completed the last rebuild that included new head bolts along with a new clutch assembly). So mechanically the car is in good to excellent shape with an effective mileage less than 100,000 miles.

The body is in good shape. The car has only been in California so there are no rust issues. The paint job is not the original as I have painted the car in the past (custom matched the factory paint when I did). Because I drive the car and store it outside, the paint has started to break down again in a few spots. So it is going to need another paint job at some point. I have gotten one quote of $10K from a friend that specializes in painting classic cars. I could go ahead and paint as a part of selling the car, but I thought it might be better to reduce the price and let the new owner decide the when and where of that.

The interior is in good shape as I have had it completely redone. I have rebuilt and covered the seats a couple of times. I have also changed out the front dash and rear deck several times due to the same sun issues as the paint. The front dash has split again, but I have not replaced it yet. I would do it with the paint since you have to pull the windshield to do a good job with the paint anyway.

Here is a copy of the Hagerty Price Value Report. I think they are a good source because they insure a lot of classic cars. If you go to their website they say the average value of the car is $21,161. That number does not show in the attached report. My thinking has been as follows:

As far as driving and mechanically, I think the car is in #2 condition per Hagerty. That said the value is around $33,100. The condition problem is the paint job and dash. I have a quote for $10K, but I know that is low because Gary is a friend. A more business like number is $12-$16K – so say $14K. My presumption is that most of the guys that are buying it will fix it up and flip in a couple of years.

The other issue has been the mileage at 280,000. Most people walk away when they hear the mileage number and you cannot even start the discussion. This is despite the fact that this is an average of just 7,800 miles per year. What impact mileage should have on the value of a car that is this old is hard to tell. But the engine is strong and I've always maintained it and had the parts rebuilt as stated above. Significant money was invested in the engine so it is not an engine that has been neglected and allowed to decay without property maintenance.
Attached Images             
Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1978 911SC

Very interested

Where are you located?
Scott
917-841-5833
Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Can you send some more pics? Some nice shots of the motor and undercarriage would be great.
Do you have a breakdown of miles on various components since rebuild/service?
How far in did you go with the last engine rebuild?

Thanks
Steve Dabney
Old 11-23-2014, 07:17 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Anyone???
Old 01-12-2016, 02:37 PM
DRock895
2nd Gear

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum. I inherited my fathers 1978 911 SC about a year and a half ago after he suddenly passed at 53 due to a hard attack. This man loved this car and I was very fortunate the my step mother allowed me to move the car into my name, because we really wanted to keep the car in the family. My dad really loved this car and just the smell of it reminds me of him.

It needed some work when I originally got it, I to replace some lines (fuel and oil) and replace a couple of small things (battery and headlight assembly.)

Recently it wouldn't start, which was strange because I had driven it to visit my younger brothers who there is a significant age gap between the night before. I got it towed to the shop and was just informed that a seal had failed somewhere inside the engine and that I would probably need to replace the engine.

I guess my question for this forum would be, what is a realistic price for a new engine? Where are good places to find these, and what should I do?

Despite what it will probably cost there is pretty much nothing that I would rather do than fix this thing. It's insane how much I care about this car, it feels like I've lost my dad all over again and just wanted to start getting information that way I can make a qualified decision.

Thanks in advance for reading, any advice or information is appreciated.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Please call me
917 841 58 three three
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
DRock895
2nd Gear

Will do, probably tomorrow.

Really busy day in the office and I really need to catch up.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Candsyao
1st Gear

Hi Fairway,

I'm interested and have been looking for a daily-driver like this one. I'm in southern California, but I'm up in San Jose twice a month, so I can meet you, review the car, and finalize the deal asap. 920-474-6669.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:08 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this thread got de-railed. DRock895, this is a for sale thread and it sound like you are looking for general advice. If that's the case, you need to post in the "911 Forum" otherwise you are going to get inundated with PM's for offers on the car.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 PM
ymiatgmi
1st Gear

Default Interested also

If the car has been sold, please reply so we all know - but if not please call. I am interested and live locally. 540.797.348six Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 PM
MiamiMotorSports
Intermediate

Hi,

Please call me if still available...

Thank you!!!

Ari
786-683-1809...
Old 01-21-2016, 11:37 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

^ lol the flippers want in

Last edited by Pags993; 01-22-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:55 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The add is 14 months old.................

Quick Reply: 1978 Porsche 911 SC