997.2 GT3 RS Coolant Line pinning or welding

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997.2 GT3 RS Coolant Line pinning or welding

Greetings,

I have recently acquired a 2010 GT3 RS and have reviewed many posts on the US site regarding the known weak points of this car.

My debate has been around what to do with the coolant hose issue and how any intervention might affect my CPO warranty.

I went to a well known independent shop today to discuss this. They have pinned many GT3's in Vancouver.

I then went to the Porsche dealer and they said that if they did the work, it would not affect CPO, but any non-factory trained mechanic doing the job would immediately void warranty. They are working to try to create an estimate the same as at the first shop.

My concern is that they claim to have never seen a GT3 with this problem in Vancouver, claiming that most of these failures are cars being tracked in hot climates.

They are also refusing to pin it, claiming this is not a "proper" way to deal with the issue and so are insisting on welding.

My questions are:
1. Has anyone had a failure here? Was it during track use or road use?
2. Have many of you had prophylactic pinning or welding performed (not that I would recommend pinning on prophylactics in other aspects of life....)
3. If welded - was a satisfactory outcome achieved, as the discussion on the US site suggests this can be quite problematic - thin, dissimilar metals etc.

I suppose at the end of the day, if they are willing to stick to their estimate, warranty their work and keep my CPO warranty intact, then what choice do I have other than do nothing while under CPO/run water wetter for track days.

The car will be driving >90% on the street with 2-3 DE events per year.

Thanks for any shared experience.

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 RS Coolant Line pinning or welding