Notices

Title: #41 takes it's last breath of the season

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:01 PM
911newb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title: #41 takes it's last breath of the season

I recall being at Wetune last week looking at Stan's oil pan full of shredded metal bits and feeling badly for him. He does a lot more track time than me though so I figured surely I could not be facing a similar situation.

Fast forward to this morning. I was driving to Wetune to ask Andrew why my brake pedal was getting progressively lower with each event(answer=boiled fluid). On the way there my car started to run very rough and the check engine light came on. No big deal, I thought, mice ate my coil wire last year at this time, maybe it is as simple as that.

Andrew threw on a new coil and I gladly paid the (small) bill and prepared to drive off. Thank god, I thought, at least my two track days next week are safe. Not so fast. I wasn't 20 feet out of the shop and the rough idle and cel came back.

This time Andrew went deeper and what he found was pretty disturbing. A leakdown test showed very low compression on cylinder 5. The only places that can leak are the piston rings, and the valves. The only way to diagnose is to remove and disassemble the engine. Ironically my first thought was not the expense but the fact that the event in three days isn't going to happen. Damn.

So here we are. My #41 is spending the night with Stan's #61 on adjoining lifts.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

NO WAY!
Sorry to hear Tom....was anxious to get to work with you next week.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:46 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

2016: The season of blown engines...

Tip for everyone start sending oil for testing and build a database. It will help in the long run with diagnosing issues. High Iron content indicates piston rings and cylinder liner.. Scored pistons will show up as high Al content..
Old 09-15-2016, 11:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911newb
I recall being at Wetune last week looking at Stan's oil pan full of shredded metal bits and feeling badly for him. He does a lot more track time than me though so I figured surely I could not be facing a similar situation.

Fast forward to this morning. I was driving to Wetune to ask Andrew why my brake pedal was getting progressively lower with each event(answer=boiled fluid). On the way there my car started to run very rough and the check engine light came on. No big deal, I thought, mice ate my coil wire last year at this time, maybe it is as simple as that.

Andrew threw on a new coil and I gladly paid the (small) bill and prepared to drive off. Thank god, I thought, at least my two track days next week are safe. Not so fast. I wasn't 20 feet out of the shop and the rough idle and cel came back.

This time Andrew went deeper and what he found was pretty disturbing. A leakdown test showed very low compression on cylinder 5. The only places that can leak are the piston rings, and the valves. The only way to diagnose is to remove and disassemble the engine. Ironically my first thought was not the expense but the fact that the event in three days isn't going to happen. Damn.

So here we are. My #41 is spending the night with Stan's #61 on adjoining lifts.
That is really unfair for the new guy. You can track for years without needing a rebuild.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:46 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CONDOLENCES

What lousy news, Tom.

Your enthusiasm and joy at LCMT is wonderful to see! Let's hope for the best, and get you back on track next season.

All mechanical devices can be repaired, while all wallets can be thinned!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Dave Mathews #41 meets Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited at, WeTune.
A smile is in there somewhere.
There is a silver lining, you'll see!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:59 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh no, Tom! What a huge disappointment! I felt bad when my car crapped out in May, but I got busy and was back in June! Hope the diagnosis isn't too drastic.
Good luck!
James
Old 09-16-2016, 12:00 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully it's:

Best of luck!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 AM
911newb
Instructor

Will be seeing Andrew today before lunch. I am hoping for a stuck lifter or a carbon deposit on a valve. I spared no expense this spring and put in Jake Raby's IMS Solution so at least I can rule out an IMS bearing!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear the unfortunate news Tom. Sounds like you got yours just in time, better off track than on. Our cars are in good company and they will get to know each other as lift buddies.
We can rebuild them better and stronger, keep your spirits up...I'm going to the oratory today to light candles; 1 for the weather, another for your engine and the last for ol #61. Hope to see you at the post DE activities. Rennsport is also about the people and you have many friends.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 138 Posts

Damn dude ! That sucks and sorry to hear. Was looking forward to seeing you at the end of year event and always good to share your company. I'm hoping for the best for you and your "girl".
Old 09-16-2016, 02:11 PM
911newb
Instructor

Quick update.

The entire 8+ quarts of oil was passed through a filter and absolutely no fragments of anything showed up. Same with the oil pan. The oil filter itself is the non-bypass type that comes with the IMS Solution. It had a couple of bits of silicone in it and not much else. Good news so far. Next step is to drop the engine and start to take it apart. Maybe I won't be shipping it to Jake Raby after all. Too bad. I was getting to like the idea of a 3.8.

On another note I will be at the event for both days and will get to see and share stories with y'all despite this misfortune. I just have to un-cancel my hotel reservation at l'ermitage.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:14 PM
lanfeust9
1st Gear

Sorry to hear this story Tom and glad for the latest oil test results, hope you get back on these 4 wheels soon!

See you at the event then !
Old 09-16-2016, 10:07 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Tom, no metal is totally good news ! So, are you planning on going up anyway? Do you need a ride ?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 PM
serpags
Instructor

Tom, will your ride be ready for Mosport ?

Quick Reply: Title: #41 takes it's last breath of the season