Notices

NEW 996/997 IMS BEARING SOLUTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW 996/997 IMS BEARING SOLUTION

I just received my EXCELLENCE mag, and noticed a new product designed to prevent the dreaded IMS bearing failure. Named appropriately, the DIRECTOILFEED is a unique oil feed to the IMS bearing.

www.directoilfeed.com

Like many others with a 996, I have lost much sleep over this issue. Jake Raby offers the LN ceramic bearing retrofit kit for early Boxsters and Gen I/II 996 motors. However, the final Porsche solution was the installation of the larger bearing that resides in all Gen I 997 cars, and later factory rebuilt 996 motors. These bearings cannot be replaced without splitting the engine cases.

Here is a product that addresses the issue of continuous lubrication, the lack of which causes the original bearing to fail. By directing a direct feed of oil to the bearing, the fear of grease elimination is moot. One removes the bearing seal, thus expositing the ***** in their race, and the pressurized oil provides continuous, pressurized lubrication.

It sounds like an intelligent solution, and there is a continuous dialogue ensuing on the Pelican Parts site. As well, the product site is highly informative.

I will likely install such a gizmo on my engine, though I would enjoy all comments from others.

Here are the sites to review.

Joe

www.directoilfeed.com

Pelican Site;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...injection.html
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe,

Very interesting article and solution. I would suggest we wait for some reliability and testing reports before going ahead. That is what we do in the aviation engine business. Ive seen solutions that look great on the BENCH and then fail, even after passing some basic reliability runs. The Pelican article covers some great point. BTW its not cheap either at $800 plus labour

Just my two cents

Frank
Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMS Bearing Neurosis

Frank,

I agree with you.

After much hand-wringing and angst, I am less worried than before.
I happen to have the last of the LARGE bearings, so I cannot change to the LN product. This new gizmo seems interesting, but until I need a new clutch, I'll leave well enough alone.
Besides, with my flawless heel/toe shifting technique, I will most likely never require a new clutch!

Quick Reply: NEW 996/997 IMS BEARING SOLUTION