Notices

RUSH, the movie

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Joe Lapin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RUSH, the movie

After much anticipation, RUSH, the Lauda/Hunt 1976 GP battle came to the big screen, and I watched it yesterday. Sitting in the 5th row, devoid of my wife, I was able to really 'get into it'!

Magically, many of the driving scenes were CGI created, and the period cars were quite spectacular to see. I particularly enjoyed a snail's eye view of a functioning rear suspension, as they zoomed around the famous GP tracks of Europe.

The entire film was well photographed, and the image quality was masterfully manipulated to replicate the technology of the day. It was somewhat pixelated to imply 'grainy film', and the coloration was quite blue, as Ektachrome once appeared.

The driving scenes were good, but frankly, they were not as good as the 'on car' footage we watch on our weekly GP coverage today. In fact, our GoPro's can offer much better resolution, though Lauda's technique is slightly better than mine!

Though the action footage contributed greatly to the story, the movie was really a very insightful drama, exploring the different personalities of the two protagonists. Psychologically, one could easily analyze their behaviour as they dealt with similar needs for approval, identity, and transcendence from the values of their families. How each enacted their quest for freedom was fascinating, as their actions were often diametrically opposed. Hunt was the extrovert, Lauda, the introvert.

Hunt was the perpetual child, 'acting out' constantly, flouting authority with every opportunity, and seemingly self indulgent in all sensory arenas. He was the 'infant terrible', a spoiled child of privilege who would not accept any authority other than that of his own making. He was loved by all, beautiful, and full of life, endlessly seeking pleasure, and generously sharing his blessed good fortune with all those around him. In fact, he was a profligate, and this ultimately sealed his mortal fate. He died of a heart attack at 45 years of age.

Lauda, the Teutonic disciplinarian, constantly suppressing his emotions, was concerned only with the pragmatic variables of winning. He was far more aware of the technical functions of his car, giving very specific, and arrogant, feedback to his mechanics and team managers. He demonstrated a brutal evaluation of the significance of any relationship and circumstance, and this alienated him from all around him.
Possessing rather ugly features, and severely disfigured after his accident, he was referred to as 'the rat', and sadly, seemed to enact such a role. He enjoyed success far beyond that of his rival, though at a huge cost in personal relationships, and completely lacking a sense of joy.

Remarkably, Lauda is still alive, enjoying success as an executive in the Mercedes GP team, and substantial wealth from his airline.

One can only recall the tale of the hare and the tortoise.

Throughout the movie, Ron Howard created a very dramatic tension, as the 1976 GP season unfolded. Though I was familiar with the history, and reviewed it all month long in the Autoweek articles of the day, I was nevertheless caught up in the suspense.

The film was terrific, and I highly recommend it to all drivers, and certainly to arm chair psychologists!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:23 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review Joe.
We went to see it last weekend.
It was a fantastic film. Ron Howard did an impeccable job directing. I also thought the cinematography was very period correct with regards to the colour balance and look.
On the drive home, my wife and I were remarking that Kimi Riakkonen is kind of a mix of Lauda & Hunt, then later she discovered that Kimi has actually checked into hotels under the name James Hunt. Hilarious!!
All in all a great night at the movies.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

I just wish they would have included more vintage clips from that season in the film. However 10/10! I saw it 3 times in 5 days and by the end I really started noticing the attention to detail right down to the press passes having actual names of Murray Walker and such.

Quick Reply: RUSH, the movie