Notices

Second race week-end for this rookie. 944 Challenge-Canada at Calabogie KBC race

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Radio996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second race week-end for this rookie. 944 Challenge-Canada at Calabogie KBC race

For those following this rookie-turned-racer ... here is an update from Car #3

After my first race weekend at the PCA event at CTMP in June...the fun and discovery continued with the 944 Challenge-Canada series guys and gals at Calabogie the past week-end. Weather held all week-end but for some rain during qualifying Saturday AM, which made us all try to clock our fastest lap on the first lap, the heck with warming the tires, rain was starting.

Race 1 - Saturday PM. OK some of us where still learning the track, while the faster ones were running only 10 seconds a lap slower than the slowest Lamborgini Trofeo series cars, also running this week-end. That's on a 2:26" lap time. Fantastic for the little 25 year old NA 944 car that could!

Race 2 - Sunday AM. Here we go, for this edition of the “rookie mistake”. This time, with my excitement and wanting to do those mental exercises I read about in a book (Racing for dummies, I think) ... I forgot to hook my window net and was black-flagged - and rightfully so - on Lap 3, while I was trying very hard to keep Bruce G behind me, despite him driving an SP2 944 for the first time. I knew I was not going to be successful doing so for very long, and my ego was "saved" by the black flag!? Went back on the track after pitting. The herd was gone. It was by now a minute or so ahead. If I continued, it would be simply like a lapping day around the track...so I decided to slow down and wait for the fun to circle back around, and it did !!

Race 3 - Sunday PM. Window net first. Now pitting from almost last position given the previous race, we had as much fun at the back than the front group had. Now armed with key insights from above-mentioned Bruce, who saw me for 3 laps on race 2, I was able to shave 2 seconds! We gave the spectators (they were a lot of them) a run for their cheap tickets! Many passed by after the race, to say how much more exciting our race was compared to the Lambos, or the Cup cars races which they all came to see in the first place. 944s where drifting and all in turn 8 "Temptation" to the joy of spectators on the hill.

Great week-end. Fun ambiance on and off track with the group. Smile permanently stuck.

Congratulations to Calabogie's management team for what they've built. Beyond the track and the facilities, they have focused on the "experience" and created one for drivers, sponsors, corporations, fans and families to each find their own. Staff was of high standard, remembering who’s the client, which is too often forgotten on other tracks.

Last, but not least, thanks to We Tune for the track support!

Here are some pics…
Starting with those Lambos! "You know you're a racer when... you can't take your eyes off the diffusers in this picture."
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Radio996
Instructor

Additional pics from that week-end

Team uniform de rigueur. En premier.
And then, the most coveted cup of all.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Always nice to display your roots Alain
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

So happy to see you are having fun!
Not to rain on your parade but we miss not having you around.
RennSpoon
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you are having a blast in the 944 Alain!
Be safe and enjoy.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alain did a very great race on Sunday afternoon.

Congrats to him, he's a quick learner

You guys should come and spend your Sunday September 22nd at Mont-Tremblant, just before your DE and come see the 26 Porsche 944 that will race in the 944 Challenge Canada.

Ciao

c.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin

You guys should come and spend your Sunday September 22nd at Mont-Tremblant, just before your DE and come see the 26 Porsche 944 that will race in the 944 Challenge Canada.

Ciao

c.
Can you please call and convince my wife...you still got my number right?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin

Ciao

c.
i am planning on it for sure
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Alain, are you racing the Fall classic?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris R.
Alain, are you racing the Fall classic?
Yes he is....Original RennSpoon gang gonna try and pit crew.
Alain in action on the UCR home page.

Last edited by Dwane; 09-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Second race week-end for this rookie. 944 Challenge-Canada at Calabogie KBC race