Notices

Great Detail Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010 | 12:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Default Great Detail Experience

Hi guys, spent Saturday with fellow Rennlister/Rennsporter Dwane (d964) detailing the 993. Great experience, and highly recommended.

My car is in good shape and fairly clean, but a driver with 33K miles on the odometer. It gets about 5K miles of pleasure driving and 3-5 track events annually. I look after it and wash it carefully, but I am no detailer. Wax once or twice a year is about the extent of it.

While paint looked good (it's silver), it had fine scratches and accumulation of years of brake dust, pollution, sap, bugs, that had over time gotten into the paint. Even when clean, the paint felt slightly 'rough' to the touch. The purpose of our session was to "clean" the paint, and then remove most of the imperfections using the least agressive measures possible. We were not after perfection, just a tangible improvement and a renewal of the paint that I can continue to maintain on my own for the next X years...

I'll let Dwane chime in with an explanation of what he did, but results were very good. Unfortunately, bad luck was with us. After hours of work, the heavens opened up and poured on the finished product!

So.... pictures will have to wait for me to re-wash it and get it purdy again. Hold tight, pics to follow.

If you want a reference for how it went, please PM me.

Best,

Matt
Old 05-03-2010 | 01:42 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

+1 for Dwane.
Old 05-03-2010 | 05:21 PM
Dwane
Race Car

thanks for the kind words everyone
We finally got Matt's(and Nat's) car done and it came out Great! I had looked at the car last year and told Matt to save his $ the car didn't need anything. Over the winter we talked and decided to really clean the paint. Good thing we did... The top of the car really needed some work.
1- We started by striping off any old wax by washing the car with Sunlight dish soap. Raised and cleaned the spoiler wall(It wasn't done in x amount of years)
2-Once dried put it in the garage and wiped it down with quick detailer.
3-Clay bar the entire car with 3M Perfect-it clay.
4-After trying different pad and polish combos decided on (3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound and Lake Country White pad) as the first step. Porter Cable on setting 5 was used on the entire car.
5-As a finishing wax we used a Nano Carnauba.(great depth and lasts)
This was a great experience for me. I focused on taking care of the paint(not the wheels and crested valve caps) and it came out beautifully.
I hope we surpassed your expectations and that you are happy with the results.

many thanks
Dwane

Last edited by Dwane; 08-01-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2010 | 05:24 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Forgot to mention
those wheels

Dwane
Old 05-03-2010 | 09:46 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Good stuff Dwane.

I'll share some nice hi-res pics (on a bright day) when I get her cleaned up again!

Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: Great Detail Experience