Notices

Cross border shopping help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:21 AM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cross border shopping help?

I am arranging for a replacement motor to be shipped from Texas. The difference between shipping to NY and shipping to Mtl is substantial. Does someone here have experience shipping to the border? Is there a preferred receiver? Also, any suggestions on how I might pick it up (rent a truck or have someone get it for me)?
Thanks for any info!
Old 02-01-2019, 01:59 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

From my days of sailing on Lake Champlain, Freeport Forwarding in Champlain, NY was the preferred company. But that's from 7 years ago.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

In Niagara Falls NY I have used https://www.cbiusa.com/
Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Freeport is still good and will be capable of unloading / loading an engine on a skid for a charge of course
Old 02-02-2019, 02:05 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Check Kinek.com
Organization that gathers all border holding services.

This is what I use. It's also pacifies nervous US sellers that are transacting with apparent suspicious French named chaps out of foreign lands with colorful plasticized currency like "Canadia", because the website brings credibility.
There are outlets all along the border. Montrealers served out of Champlain or Cornwall.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 AM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

If anybody here needs something picked up in Champlain over the next couple of weeks, I am planning a trip.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NewArt
I am arranging for a replacement motor to be shipped from Texas. The difference between shipping to NY and shipping to Mtl is substantial. Does someone here have experience shipping to the border? Is there a preferred receiver? Also, any suggestions on how I might pick it up (rent a truck or have someone get it for me)?
Thanks for any info!
I used to use Freeport but now prefer Border Connect, it is also in Champlain, about 10 minutes from the border. Great service, kind of a mom and pop operation, they know me by name and if they see me coming they have the package on the counter when I walk in... and they are open on Saturday.
http://www.aborderconnect.com
They handle pallets, call them for details.

Last edited by elgy; 02-04-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 PM
pthauvet
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of lift bars for my 996 on their way to Kinek in Champlain. I will let you know how this works out... u haul closed trailer is probably best so you can bring your engine lift to load on i , assuming your car has a hitch of course.. and time to drop by to Harborfreight in Plattsburgh should you need any tools (I plan to get the 1000lbs lift table to lower my engine)

make sure your paper work is in order for customs...
Old 02-08-2019, 11:03 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Man, I’ve been wanting a set of lift bars for a while. Santa never came through!
The engine is being shipped to Freeport Forwarding. My friend Bruno has offered to help me with his pickup truck.
Thanks to everyone for the info.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:38 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Assume you are on a US driving licence as well as being a resident of US. If you are a US citizen then you will need to be essential to cross the border. If you are Canadian you will be allowed but must quarantine for 14 days. I imagine you have checked this out.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:28 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Assume you are on a US driving licence as well as being a resident of US. If you are a US citizen then you will need to be essential to cross the border. If you are Canadian you will be allowed but must quarantine for 14 days. I imagine you have checked this out.
This thread is over a year old... another time...

Quick Reply: Cross border shopping help?