Notices

Cup Cars at Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cup Cars at Tremblant

Our group of track enthusiasts from the US Midwest made our first foray north of the border last year to Mosport. We had an absolute blast...I think it's now my favorite of all time. We've planned a return trip this summer but this time at Tremblant....we've heard great things about it as well. After registering for the July 6-8 event with NERPCA, we found out about the noise restrictions at the track. Two of our group have GT3 Cups, which, without extreme modifications, we don't believe could approach what I understand is the limit of 92 db.

The reason for my post is to seek to understand how those of you who call Tremblant your home track cope with this limit. Is the limit strictly enforced? What are your strategies for dealing with this? Does anyone drive Cup Cars at Tremblant without exotic plumbing hanging off the back? Should we not bring the Cups? Frankly, I'm not even sure my bone stock GT4 would pass muster.

We'd appreciate your advice and counsel on how to best to enjoy your facility.

Thank you,
Greg
Old 03-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Unfortunately, the noise restriction of 92db is strictly enforced. 2 black flags for noise on any your are done for the day. Another Black flag the next day and your done for day 2. There are a few Cup cars that run however, I'm not sure exactly how they are reducing their noise but know they have found a way that keeps them under 92db. One of my friends has aftermarket exhaust on their 991 GT3 and 991GT3RS and at the track will manually close their valves. Another friend with at GT4 clubsport build put in an exhaust with electronically controlled exhaust valves. Yes is a real pain...Mosport does not have this issue which we love.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM
Stephen Ayers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m signed up for the same event with a 991 GT3RS without side mufflers and race headers. Very worried about sound.

Does anyone know the location of the microphone? My diverter pipes are setup for Laguna. Suspect I need them to point in the opposite direction.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Unfortunately the sound ***** at LCMT are pretty ruthless, much in part due to the constant court battles between some local residents
and the track owners.
Worst time for excessive DB's is in the morning when the cloud coverage is low and he usually hangs out on the outside of corner 6 ( driver's left ) when most people floor it after coming out of turn five in second or third gear.
Hopefully Cyril who runs a 2012 Cup car will chime in as he had some sort of atrocious looking ( Tremblant legal ) exaust system installed when he purchased the car.
Downpipes and/ or pipes turned towards the right ( inside of track ) are helpful in a lot of cases ...
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Here is the 92 db muffler on my Cup car.
The noise restriction is only for DE or Lapping events.
No restriction during a race weekend.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cyril:
Goggles Paisano (03-28-2021), obsessedone (09-10-2019)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I'd say that's pretty slick Cyril!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like some sort of weapon, to keep people from passing.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Looks like some sort of weapon, to keep people from passing.
Now that's a weapon!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:54 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting Cyril. That actually looks pretty attractive relative to some other approaches I've seen, such as this...

Where did you source it? So, it passes the 92 db threshold? We're coming for a DE.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Thanks for posting Cyril. That actually looks pretty attractive relative to some other approaches I've seen, such as this...

Where did you source it? So, it passes the 92 db threshold? We're coming for a DE.
Done locally by Lachute Performance. Very nice guys and very good for custom exhausts.
It is just a pair of Burns, 2 elbows and 2 brackets.
I do not have this car with me but I just found few pics where you can see more details and the brackets.
PM me your email, I will send you the pics.

The car is still loud but it passes the 92 db at Tremblant (weekend events with Club Tremblant and few DE)

Another option is to source a pair of Euro Cup Mufflers.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:08 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've also seen GT4s with stock muffler exceeding the 92db limit.

Last edited by ibeaudoin; 03-20-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-20-2018, 10:26 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

PM sent Cyril. Thanks. Found a line on a reasonably priced "Nurburgring package" exhaust from Porsche Motorsports. Is that what you are referring to as Euro Cup Mufflers? Suggestion was that that package combined with turn down pipes should suffice. Not sure I understand the significance of your parenthetical addition "weekend events with Club Tremblant and few DE"? Are the noise police less aggressive then? We're going to be there with presumably a large DE group.

The shop that has my car is experienced at Laguna Seca and says it's doubtful the package and turn downs will pass muster. But, it appears your car passes without a lot of extra work.

Ian, that's my worst nightmare... taking my GT4 instead of the cup and still busting the noise limit. I know... I realize this is a first world problem!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
PM sent Cyril. Thanks. Found a line on a reasonably priced "Nurburgring package" exhaust from Porsche Motorsports. Is that what you are referring to as Euro Cup Mufflers? Suggestion was that that package combined with turn down pipes should suffice. Not sure I understand the significance of your parenthetical addition "weekend events with Club Tremblant and few DE"? Are the noise police less aggressive then? We're going to be there with presumably a large DE group.

The shop that has my car is experienced at Laguna Seca and says it's doubtful the package and turn downs will pass muster. But, it appears your car passes without a lot of extra work.

Ian, that's my worst nightmare... taking my GT4 instead of the cup and still busting the noise limit. I know... I realize this is a first world problem!
Greg, you have an email with the pics.

The Cup is at the shop (GT Racing) but I should have the mufflers in my garage here in Montreal.
I race this car but I had the opportunity to test it during a Club Tremblant weekend and a DE the next day where the limits are at 92 Db.
The previous owner, who had this muffler system made by Lachute, is a Club Tremblant member and a Rennsport instructor. He also used this car at multiple occasion under the 92 db limit.
At Tremblant the 92 db limit is strictly enforced all the time, except during a race week-end.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:43 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

IMHO, you should bring your GT4. You will have more fun with your friends during a DE event.
Expect a lot of traffic with a sub 1.40 car and your 991 should be quite faster than my 997.2.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyril
IMHO, you should bring your GT4. You will have more fun with your friends during a DE event.
Expect a lot of traffic with a sub 1.40 car and your 991 should be quite faster than my 997.2.
Our events have many GT4s on track and most pass the sound test. Those that don't, are very aggressive on the throttle to the red line. Sound check is at the tower on the front straight (wired directly to city hall) and as mentioned in T6. Try and see, if there is a problem with the GT4 a short shift here and there will still allow you to enjoy the track.

Quick Reply: Cup Cars at Tremblant