Notices

Racing video that shows contact patch

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Gabe Newell
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing video that shows contact patch

I was surprised to see how much the contact patch on the tires moves around in this race video. In my head I always thought that most of the width of the tire was in contact with the road even during hard cornering.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

For the outside tire, it largely is- these cars have a ton of negative camber to keep the tire planted flat despite body roll- presents a tradeoff between straight line accelleration/braking (where 0 camber is ideal) with cornering (where you need lots of negative camber to counteract dynamic camber loss inherent in a mac strut suspension). With weight transfer, most of the cornering force is on the outside tires, and the inside becomes unloaded quite a bit. Body roll will plant the outside tire nearly flat, but cause the negative camber on the inside corner to become even more negative. An inside tire can even lift completely off the ground with some suspensions setups in some corners.

It's tough to see it in super-stiff-sidewall racing tires, but here's another interesting video showing wheel deformation and slip angle:

Quick Reply: Racing video that shows contact patch