Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Club Great Britain

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Dave Sims
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the UK, don't foreget http://www.titanic.co.uk/titanicporsche.html
where 993/944 are catered for and others!
Old 11-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Helen
Racer

I can also recommend boXa nett forum. but the PCGB forum need some more traffic so if your a member of the club then log on to the forum and help us get things rolling. www.porscheclubgb.com and click on the forum logo then follow the instructions carefully.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:39 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not surprised Helen that the PCGB forum needs more traffic.

I was very surprised that visitors or guests could not even access the forums to read posts if they didn't join and pay the subscription.I think this is a serious error of judgement that needs to be addressed.

In my opinion I would suggest that PCGB would get considerably subscriptions and more posts if visitors were able to read the posts on the forums at least .

There must be a lot of people who are past or possibly potential future Porsche owners for whom full membership is simply too expensive to justify but could be worthwhile contributors to the PCGB community.Also there are people in Europe and USA who might be interested in contributing but are obviously not going to pay £50.00 for the privalege especially when they are unable to view the forum to see if it would be worthwhile.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:35 PM
stuartph
Pro

i got a huge pile of PCGB mags when i brought my 928 GT last year from the cars last owner.

To be honest it doest really apeal to me have been a member and still am to one italian owners club but that doesnt boil my beans either.

Am a member of a list 928uk run by angus fox which i think is great.

Thats my thoughts anyway

stuart

GT

never knew this was on rennlist
Old 11-25-2003, 07:23 PM
wakejudge
Intermediate

I agree with Peanut

I was very surprised that visitors or guests could not even access the forums to read posts if they didn't join and pay the subscription.I think this is a serious error of judgement that needs to be addressed.

I have owned my 996 C4 Cab for 12 months now, I go on net every other night on various forums. I got interested in joining the Owners Club in the Summer, decided to go to the 40th Bash in Oxford, had a good day viewing the cars.

Came back tried to access the website with a view of joining, but got tangled up in not being able to access the site and forum. Since then I haven't visited the website and done anything.

Perhaps having dialog with Brit's would have secured another membership, as it happen's I get lot's of feedback - as many of the sites have good traffic now.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:56 AM
gaxor
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a member of the pcgb, predominantly because it is the UK's primary focus for Porsche ownership.

However, it does perpetuate an atmosphere of exclusivity, which is not what Porsche car ownership is about. The forum in particular is extremely stifled because of the closed access. If you look at Audi-Net of the RS246 forum there is a much greater free-flow of relevant ownership issues, and not trivia as is on the PCGB forum.

If I need to know serious information, I tend to come here (Renn-list) for an answer

Gary

996TT
Old 11-26-2003, 06:18 AM
McJohn
Racer

I have no real problem with the PCGB forum being members only. There are lots of other open forums, and if nothing else it means you are getting something extra for your membership fee.

The problem with the PCGB forum is that it is criminally underused as yet by the members, and it would appear to have been moderated in a rather heavy handed style so far. The PCGB needs to loosen its corsets, and I suspect the forum will be just the thing that helps that to happen.

John H (moderator of the 968 PCGB forum)
Old 11-26-2003, 06:36 AM
Helen
Racer

the PCGB is only as good as it's active members. as i said before your only get out of something what you put in.

so if you want more information, events or articals in Porsche post about your car type then start the ball rolling by asking questions, organise or even suggest an event. take picture and write an artical. join in the forum don't just look and complain. else the "stuffy,snoby members" will get it all their own way.

since joining the PCGB i've done been on trips all round the British isles,met all sorts of people, done exclusive factory visits, Track days, got discount on servicing my car, discount on insurance. plus taken part in things i would never otherwise have had the chance to do. eg hot air ballooning.driving tuition.soapbox racing.

the club also has exclusive camping area at Le mans 24 hour race. with pit passes incuded.

sorry i'll get off my soapbox now. and await you lot flaming me.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:06 AM
McJohn
Racer

Ah Helen ... our principle loosener of corsets!

(if you'll pardon the phrase!)

No flames from me, just respect for having the guts to say what you think.
Long may you post.

John H
Old 12-03-2003, 04:38 PM
sjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes I am a member.The local group(Surrey)seem a nice enough bunch.
Steve
Old 12-05-2003, 04:38 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting comments from people that haven't been members but seem to know all the reasons why NOT to join and ex? (in some cases) members who bitch on about how poor everything is but clearly do nothing themselves - as for the 993 guys - i agree there is little to see but come on - you sound like you need spoon feeding, where was your contribution?

Looking at the number of times most of you guys have contributed to Rennlist you can hardly be described as "scorching the ether" here either. Mostly armchair windbag stuff.

Oh by the way - the Club doesn't miss any of you because nobody knew who you were in the first place you were all so anonymous!

See how easy it is to criticise - have any of you any idea how much effort it takes to put on events, and to keep trying to find the right formula so that most people feel involved? How many people are employed to knock out GT Purely Porsche or 911 World? A lot more than works on putting Porsche Post together. It's easy to knock, less easy, and often more painful to get involved.

As Helen said, the Club is only as good as the people who get involved. If Clubs aren't for you fine but nobody else is standing up to take on the thankless task or running the Club or its Regions.

PJC
Old 12-05-2003, 07:30 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

What are you doing then if it isn't bitching?!

See that's the beauty of freedom of speech we are all free to say what we want .
Incidentally I was a member for 3 years before I quit so I have an informed opinion and I am entitled to both hold it and give it if I so choose.

In your opinion then we should all cough up £50.00 and then write our own porsche post articles and plan and organise our own events too perhaps!

Well we sure couldn't do a lot worse than the lazy sob regional organiser (sic) ( who shall remain nameless) who this year has only posted occasionally and even then its only been to simply list event dates with zero comment,
Old 12-06-2003, 07:36 PM
C2MED
Instructor

A lot of us don't know how to organise event, don't have much to contribute and don't have time to attend all the meetings. That's why we join the club in a hope that people who have the ability and resources can help us to enjoy our Porsche ownership, and that's why you pay the subs. If we don't feel welcomed when we're "lurking", then when we do have something to contribute, we won't feel so ready to put the effort in.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Tiggy
5th Gear

Maybe I'm just being a bit soft, but I've always found get togethers like the regional Concours are a great way to meet fellow Porscheholics. Sure, you get some professional polishers there but everyone knows who they are. For the most part, even when I've been over to the Thames Valley meet, which isn't my home region, I've found everyone to be very friendly and the venues mean that the whole family can come and have a run around.

As with all clubs you get a clique of certain people who are going to make assumptions about you based on which Porsche you turn up in etc etc but, be honest now, are you really interested in them ?

Most of us own a Porsche because we love the thrill it gives us and we get some time to talk about them with like minded folk without having to bore your family / friends to death so that they end up coming after you with a bread knife !!

That said the Tiggys enjoy days out in the Porsche to the seaside etc and often to subject the kids to some of the club events, could result in a death in the family !!

So I support the club when I can, probably like 95% of us, but I tend to pick and choose to suit the rest of the family.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:46 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

glad you enjoy the social side of PCGB membership Tiggy
I personally don't care for that side at all.
I think that car club membership broadly falls into 2 camps in my observation. There is the member who enjoys the concours events and car display and convoy trips, Eynsham, Althorpe meets, etc Their car is probably a second or third car, regularly serviced and valeted and used on dry weekends /events and they enjoy nothing better than showing off their imaculate car and reeling off technical data/dates model types etc over a sherbet or two on a regional club night meet at the local pub

Then there is the type of member who is the oily rag enthusiast. These types like nothing better than lifting the bonnet rolling up their sleeves and helping other owners fix their cars. They tend to enjoy gassing about improvements,modifications, Porsche racing,hill climbing, fault diagnosis and repair,etc etc These cars are probably non standard,used as daily transport and if not their first car then their other car is probably a Porsche too.

These types are also known to enjoy a sherbet or two and by the time they have left the pub there isn't a door or surface anywhere that isn't covered in oil and grease.

Simplistic I know but I think most will recognise themselves Me ? I'm one of the oilyrag brigade just remember not to shake hands when we meet

Quick Reply: Porsche Club Great Britain