Some region!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by robmug
Phil, I was hoping to keep that stuff off this forum. Blown it now!

Anyway, isn't teletubbies on in the mornings? That would be a silly time to go to bed.

I thought you were going to the pub?
Gee, I can tell your nipper is older than mine - Teletubbies is on for most of the day on C-Beebies. And don't I know it!

Pub? Nah, just to the fridge, sadly...
Old 09-26-2003, 05:16 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Phil Raby
GB would include England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Technically, Phil, 'GB' wouldn't include Northern Ireland, but 'UK' would.

One point to me.

You got that new chair yet?
Old 09-26-2003, 06:31 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Help! The Brits have already taken over! Give them their own region, John, please!

Seriously, the UK is quite an isolated region, unlike a country such as Switzerland.

Why not add "Germany, Austria, Switzerland" as a kind of central european German speaking region. There are a few from that area.

Then there is the Scandinavian/Nordic region (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia). There are quite a few of us in this region too.

The last region could be "rest of Europe".

Making the regions too far reaching defeats the usefulness you are trying to achieve, imho
Old 09-27-2003, 02:48 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Technically, Phil, 'GB' wouldn't include Northern Ireland, but 'UK' would.

One point to me.

OK, fair point, never could get that right. Just don't expect a witty response at 6.30am!

You got that new chair yet?
Yeps, sitting on it now.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:58 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

John - got your car back presumably? All OK?
Old 09-27-2003, 04:50 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry - forgot to tell everyone!

It came back on Wednesday but I've been so busy that I haven't even opened a door yet!

Will give it a good going over today (with the BS). Also, fit my new centre console and gear ****.

Come to Oulton whatever, Rob - we'll have some fun in my car if yours can't make it.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Graham,
Having a Europe wide forum allows people to inform lots of people from all around in one place of their events. By starting to divide up into regions you are going to need a French speaking Spanish, Portugese, Italian lest you offend.
It is not up to me but I really think this is a backward step breaking up the opportunity for all Europeans (and non Europeans living here) to communicate with each other, see what is going on around the place arrange visits etc. Having one Europe wide forum also promotes communication in one language.
I had hoped that this separation issue was a sort of a joke but now I see it is more serious than that and it is disappointing for me to see. However as I said if the majority of the UK people wish to have their own forum then so be it.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Adrian
Dear Graham,
Having a Europe wide forum allows people to inform lots of people from all around in one place of their events. By starting to divide up into regions you are going to need a French speaking Spanish, Portugese, Italian lest you offend.
It is not up to me but I really think this is a backward step breaking up the opportunity for all Europeans (and non Europeans living here) to communicate with each other, see what is going on around the place arrange visits etc. Having one Europe wide forum also promotes communication in one language.
I had hoped that this separation issue was a sort of a joke but now I see it is more serious than that and it is disappointing for me to see. However as I said if the majority of the UK people wish to have their own forum then so be it.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Hi Adrian

If this is the case, maybe there should be one forum for North America...

Cheers
Old 09-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Phil,
I actually agree. I can see no real reason for having the Canada and USA region especially seeing as they share a huge border. Crossing for events between the two nations is very common. With separate regions people have to scroll through two forums to find things of interest. However I had nothing to do with setting them up and I think John will have his hands full with looking after them and what goes on. I do not like the community being divided up like this because it may promote posts like "You do not live here so why are you posting here"? I can see these particular forums becoming Golem (new name for trolls) heaven or just the UK owners on this forum who want their own separate region. I just do not like these sorts of things. To me misguided as I am, had come to look at all of us as one great big family based on Porsche model ownership not on where we live in the world.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: I should also point out and I hope it does not happen here but I belonged to two clubs which were national and then divided themselves up into regions/states and then self destructed. One Porsche and one Audi 18,000 miles apart.

Last edited by Adrian; 09-27-2003 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Adrian

To be honest, I don't think these regional forums will be used much, for the simple reason most of the time it does not matter one bit where other Porsche owners are. As the 964 board has proved very successfully.

I guess they could be useful in situations where people may want to organise a local event - such as John B's trips to Wales. However, I suspect these events will have to be posted on the main forums as well to get any coverage.

I don't think UK owners really want their own forum, I only suggested it to John because I felt that Europe was too large to be a 'region'.

Anyway, I for one will be sticking to the 964 forum, as I'm sure all the other 964 owners will. Won't they?

Cheers
Old 09-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb

As long as we keep putting UK in the title we should get along OK.

Cheers,

David
Old 09-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Phil,
I agree entirely with your last post. I think what we had was perfect and I loved to read about UK events and other events on our 964 forum and the other forums and I would think, oh that would be nice to go to etc. Removing that to another forum and then splitting it up even further simply dilutes the audience. There is almost no traffic on the Euro rennlist email system as well. Maybe once a month when I post something to it.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-28-2003, 12:37 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

IHMO, everyone seems to be missing the point.

The value of the regional forums is with geographically specific posts. Granted, a thread about how to fix a part is universal and belongs in the relevant model's forum. But topics such as local race track days, garages, etc are irrelevant to at least 95% of Rennlisters, no matter where the location.

If someone wants to know if there is a well-respected wheel alignment centre in the Edinburgh area, they are unlikely to post the question in their model-based forum knowing that less than 1% of Rennlisters even live in the same country. If people did post these sorts of questions, the signal to noise ratio would become unbearably low for most users.

The more specific the locations, the more useful a resource the regional forum will be to the inhabitants of that region. I respectfully disagree with the suggestion that Canada and the US should be in the same forum. That would be to miss the point entirely. It would be tiresome for people living in Winnipeg to browse through threads which are 99% irrelevant to their region. It would make more sense to have regional forums for each and every state!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:19 PM
paul s uk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll never find me here.

Duh!
Old 10-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Taffy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys n gals, I'll pop in and say ello here... I'm a UK'un but working in S.America at the mo.. and I guess I'll use both boards - 996 & UK
I have a waterpumper and tend not to post on the other forums, but enjoy reading and catching up with the local UK banter on the 964,993 forums etc.

My guess is the car community will tend to stick to their model designation forums, pretty much as they do at the moment and use the regional UK board (and others) for local events, track day info, OPC mudslinging etc.. simple.

I wouldn't like to see the boards diluted - the 964 forum gives me my daily dose of British humour !! Well, on that note, maybe there should be a 'GT3 vs Turbo' or 'why my GT3 doesn't pull like a small block chevy under 5 grand' forum.

Keep up the good work and maybe see you in the mountains one day..
Richard.

Quick Reply: Some region!