Notices

OT-visiting London-what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT-visiting London-what to do?

I'm taking my daughter to see a concert (Kings of Leon) in London in July (week of the 9th) as a high school graduation gift. We're seeing KOL at the Apollo Hammersmith. Other than that, I have no idea what to do. We'll spend about a week there. She's a huge music fan- Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc. so I'de like to do something involving the music scene. I'm trying to avoid the usual tourista type stuff, but still take in some U.K. culture. Insider recommendations? Nice places to stay? I wouldn't mind a little side trip to a car type venue either.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Royalty
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do yourself a favor and go to prince charles house and make funny faces and noises in front of the guy with the tall fuzzy hat. but by all means DO NOT TOUCH HIM.

A buddy and I spent a good 5 minutes actin the fool tryign to get the guy to crak...nothin

Go to Soho just so you can say you have been but pay for nothing (shows or hoes), dont buy **** either because its reginally coded and you will not be able to wacth it when you get home.

Wear comfortable shoes, visit Picadilly circus buy a "real" cuban cigar, ride a double decker bus. ANd by all means try to ask a brit for a "***" and see how long you can maintain a straight face.

Ahh...good times
Old 03-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You could combine your Soho visit, wearing comfortable shoes and your request for a *** to see what happens. ;-)
Clearly we have the voice of experience regarding your **** purchase but you might not want to do that with your daughter?

Seriously though, do go on a bus and get one from near Trafalgar Square, going up the Strand so that you can ride an old double decker bus that is still the film style jump-on/jump-off type. Ride the Jubilee line out to Canary Wharf to see Docklands and also the fantastic tube station which you will recognise from a lot of films.

The *** joke works better in reverse, one of my old bosses, years ago, caused a board room to go silent when he announced that he needed a break as he was dying for a ***!

I'll try and think of some more stuff when I get back home.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Actually, if there is a top two things on my list NOT to do when visiting London with my daughter it would be (in no particular order)-

-Antagonizing the locals

I'll save those for my business trips to Germany.

But, I will partake of the Cubans and double decker buses. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

I'm glad that you don't want to **** us off too much.

Do get bagels in Brick Lane at 2am (say after your gig). Just ask any black cab driver to take you there and earlier in the vening you could have a great curry in Brick Lane as well.

A wander round the City of London (say Bank station towards Liverpool St) which is our Financial district at lunchtime is quite good to feel the buzz of the place.

Windsor is a great place to visit and it's close to London. For your daughter, she might like Camden which has an urban buzz to it and some interesting shops. Hoxton/Shoreditch is quite cool (a little like SoHo, Meat packing districts in NYC but with less trannies).

I'll keep thinking... There is not a lot to look at music-wise. Carnaby Street is only there in name only. North of Covent Garden has some interesting shops. Portabello Market is still meant to be good and the little streets around Notting Hill are quite nice.

Location wise don't get fooled by the glitz of staying somewhere really central as you'll spend and arm and a leg and the hotel will seem pretty crappy comapred to US standards. Better to go slightly further afield and use the tube or the buses to get into the central (touristy) area. Depending upon how many days you are over here we have a very good no-frills hotel chain called Travelodge (think Marriott Courtyard with slightly smaller rooms and probably no pool) that has some good locations and won't break the bank. You are, after all, only sleeping there... www.travelodge.co.uk
Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Hildy911
Instructor

Caveman-there is a Holiday Inn Express in Hammersmith. It would be very convenient for the concert, but how would it be for hanging out in London?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hammersmith would be fine for getting around. This is the link for Transport for London and you'll be able to see the tube, train and bus connections.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM
NSA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

error xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

Wow! I was surprised to see this resurface. I did go to London and I had a very nice time. That was last summer. Just this spring I went to the Dominican Republic and hung out with a girl I met there from, of all places, Hammersmith! Very small world.

Anyway - Just now I got a look at Caveman's pic and realized I captured his car's targa twin -

Quick Reply: OT-visiting London-what to do?