Notices

any compoota experts ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 05:06 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any compoota experts ??

i got a dell flap-top , and a nokia 8310 . both have an i.r. link .
can i use my moby to connect to aol , and internet ???

been trying , but cannot get it to work .

got it so compoota tells fone to ring aol , fone makes a call , i get engaged tone ( i fink) , then a popup saying modem no carrier signal .

i phoned number from my moby , and got connected to the beep noises strait away !!

can this be done ?
does anybody else in uk do this ?
i'm with t-mobile , but will change network if needs be .

fanks
ian
Old 02-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Tarquin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ian, I think you should try slowing down the Baud rate in the modem menu, this is how I got over the problem and use my laptop this way often, however due to the mobile conection speed only being 9kps web browsing is no fun, but its a great way of staying in touch when you are on the move.

Strange my first post on the UK list has nothing to do with my beloved car, I suppose thats what forums are about, I could make this relevant and say I use my laptop in the 911 but thats not true, I like driving it too much.

Good luck with the conection, and spelling.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:24 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian

There should be a CD with the Nokia that included their modem software, but it sounds like you're nearyl there if you got it to dial...

Tarquin's idea sounds good.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:59 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ideas above sound worth trying. You can beat yourself up trying to get connected and then find a quick call to the provider (actually, there is no such thing as a quick call to t-mobile ) is called for - it could just be a case of needing to be switched 'on' for data calls. AOL also tend to do things slightly differently to other ISP's and t-mobile may be able to offer settings advice.
Good luck!
Old 02-08-2004, 07:22 AM
ian c - u.k

update .

aol guaranteed to email reply within 24 hours , finally arrived 3 days later !!!!

they did not really read my questions , so............
they replied that yes , i can access aol with a mobile phone .ie: i can link aol to a mobile so i receive a text messsage everytime i get an email , then i phone up to have somebody read my email to me !!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE

so , i went to t-mobile shop .
they wasn't sure on features of nokia 8310 (even though they sell them )
and advised me to buy a newer phone , that they had literature on .

i am quickly getting fed up with this so-called customer service thing .
i think it may be time to ditch aol , and t-mobile .
Old 02-08-2004, 07:39 AM
ian c - u.k

another update ....................

just been to www.nokia.com
my phone will do what i want it to do , but they only talked of windows 2000 software .
i got windows xp pro .

so , do i email nokia , or microsoft ?

considering the ammount i spent on cell-phone , flap-top , and monthly aol / t-mobile billing , it's rubbish that there customer service departments can't help , and i'm getting better advice on a porsche forum !!!!
( o.k. , so i am a bit thick when it comes to anything to do with compootas !! )
Old 02-08-2004, 03:02 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good old AOL

Chances are the Nokia page only mentioned Win2k because (from what you've said of the 8310) that was around when the phone was new - you'd be very unlucky to not be able to use XPP.

When you activate IR on both the first time, the laptop should install a new modem (you've done this). Then go to Network Places and create a new dial-up connection. You will need a telephone number, username and password. If you need I'll create a new account for you and give you this information - a lot of providers allow you to set up free accounts in exchange for you dialling up on an 0845 number and they split the proceeds with BT. You'll end up with a new e-mail address of course. If you want me to set it up I'd use [link]www.swiftserve.net[/link] so you'd end up being something like ianc@swiftserve.net

Potential problems:
You may need to activate data with t-mobile
You may need to tweak the IR settings on the laptop
You may need to download/install an updated modem driver to get the 8310 to talk properly to the laptop (this is unlikely from what you've said)

Hope that's of some help. Like you say it can be a bit of a minefield, but some providers try to provide help. Gets tricky when mobiles, laptops and IR are involved. We kind of take for granted that these things should work, but it's often not easy
Old 02-10-2004, 04:50 PM
ian c - u.k

thanks david
i'm giving up on this until weekend , just too busy !!
jujst got this back from aol ..................

Dear Enty21,

Hi! I am Joan B. from the TechMail Department. I would like to thank you for spending time in writing to us. It is my privilege to be of assistance to you and all our members.

Please accept my apology for the extremely long delay in responding to your e-mail.

I just received your e-mail forwarded to my personal attention and I want to assure you that I replied as soon as I read your message.

With regard to your concern, I understand you have question if it is possible to connect to AOL from a Laptop computer using mobile phone to connect via the infrared link.

It is possible to connect to your Laptop computer using a mobile phone. On the other hand, it is not possible to connect to AOL via infrared.

However, your concern will be taken as a suggestion. Please be assured that I have forwarded your e-mail to the appropriate department for consideration and review and this might be supported someday.

Many of the changes made throughout the years have been the result of suggestions and ideas offered to us by our members. So please, send us more of your suggestions.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:38 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian - try Freewire.

0845 088 0088.

Any user name and password will do. There are no fees, they take their cut of the 0845 rate.

Works for me.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I might be a bit thick here but why don't you just use a blackberry if want to do mail on the move?

Cheers,

David
Old 03-06-2004, 12:05 PM
ian c - u.k

and i might be a bit thick here to ........... wtf is a blackberry ?????
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry,

That's one of those things that looks like a palm pilot but which can get email continuously. You then have to type in your mesaages using a keyboard about the size of a commemorative stamp. Sounds like crap but is actually quite useful.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-09-2004, 02:11 PM
ian c - u.k

the reason i use a lap-top is ............

when i go working away , i take it with me !!

it does work things , all my cd's are stored on it and the speakers are pretty good !! i can watch tv , play dvd's , play games , etc.
the only thing i cannot do is get the damn thing to work using my nokia as a modem !!!!

spent all weekend trying again , now i have 2 freewire accounts , but now have been having trouble downloasding the nokia modem driver

Quick Reply: any compoota experts ??