Notices

image links don't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts
Default image links don't work

I see there have been changes to the screens when you insert an image. I'm sure some of the new features are great, but I can't paste in a link to an image on my web server the way I have done for over a decade. It doesn't like my URL. What's wrong with :
"http://209.160.1.100/photos/IMG_4828.jpg"?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Don, did you see the announcement about the new method of handling and posting images?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

I guess I missed it. I'll look for it.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Ok, I found the announcement at the top of the forum I usually look at, 928, but it doesn't answer my question. It says you can cut/paste a URL just like in the past, but it's not accepting my URL.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 735 Likes on 509 Posts

Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Hi Don,

Image embeds from external URLS work the same way they always have for me. Simply encapsulate the URL inside the following tags without the spaces inside the square brackets.

[ IMG]your url goes here[ /IMG]

cheers,
robb
Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Robb, did you type the tags in manually, or use the new interface? My issue is with the new interface, but it's good to know I can just type it in manually.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:06 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been able to post up pictures via an outside link. Keep getting

"Please Paste a valid picture URL"

Now I understand that you at IB or whoever owns this now, wants to make whatever picture that is linked here, your property so when it's linked it auto loads to your servers. But the least you can do is make it flipping work. I'm sure you noticed a slight decrease in people doing so since this nice change.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Sean, does it work if you follow the directions from above? I thought our tech team had addressed this. I assure you it has nothing to do with IB wanting to 'own' the images.

cheers,
robb
Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Don Carter
Rennlist Member

Robb,

It's been over a month and there has been no answer to my question above.

I just tried it again, and it still doesn't work. It's real simple, reply to this thread, using Post Quick Reply, then click the Image button, and paste the link I have in my initial post into the URL field. It doesn't work.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robb M.
Sean, does it work if you follow the directions from above? I thought our tech team had addressed this. I assure you it has nothing to do with IB wanting to 'own' the images.

cheers,
robb
I assure you it does, or you wouldn't have changed it from direct link to link and load.

Yes, I've tried several ways with the same results. I load my pictures to my FB pages, then link them over here and have done so for years. Not it's not possible.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Not working for me on FireFox.

I get an error message in the URL box after trying to paste a URL - 'Please paste a valid picture URL'.

It is a valid JPEG url.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Our tech team are working on it. This appears to be a strange conflict with the new image uploader, and has nothing to do with wanting to 'own' your images.

cheers,
robb
Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robb M.
Our tech team are working on it. This appears to be a strange conflict with the new image uploader, and has nothing to do with wanting to 'own' your images.

cheers,
robb
So maybe you can explain the change to putting them on your sever instead of using someone elses? You'd think a company such as IB would rather use someone elses bandwidth. If I link a picture here now, does it or does it not get loaded to your servers? Do you, or do you not, allow me to change the location of those pictures? If I link a picture up here to Rennlist and decide at a later date that I do not want that picture posted, do I have the ability to remove it?

Most people like the KISS method but you guys seem to like doing the opposite in the name of "progress".
Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Sean,

Over time we have seen many valuable threads lose their images due to photo hosts going out of business or images being deleted or moved. Losing images in a lengthy DIY type thread for example, really detracts from the effectiveness of that kind of reference material, which I hope you would agree with. We are attempting to prevent this from happening with the new photo uploader.

You are able to remove images from your posts until the edit time limit has expired, this has not changed. If you are concerned with maintaining control so that you can edit or remove images after the edit period, you can still embed images into posts the old way, by encapsulating them in [img] tags as described in this thread already.
Like so:

The current problem is a tech glitch which I will take responsibility for not properly reporting, I had a direct convo with a tech team member, and mistakenly made the assumption it was fixed long ago. I apologize for this. This process is supposed to be simple for everyone.

I hope this helps.

cheers,
robb

Quick Reply: image links don't work