Notices

Help with page setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After having lived with this crap for a half day, I can say now...

...this SUCKS.

Please bring our sidebar back. We pay for this.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:40 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Make your life easier - use this as your Rennlist forums starting point:

https://rennlist.com/forums/

Bookmark it.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Randy V

Bookmark it.
And this does what?
Old 02-26-2014, 01:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V

Bookmark it.
We don't have to bookmark it, that's where the old page takes us and exactly what we're complaining about. We want the old startup page back with the menu on the left. Having to go forward and then back again to access each forum is tedium and a huge step backwards in customer service. What possible good can come from making the forums more difficult to access?

John Gordon
Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
We don't have to bookmark it, that's where the old page takes us and exactly what we're complaining about. We want the old startup page back with the menu on the left. Having to go forward and then back again to access each forum is tedium and a huge step backwards in customer service. What possible good can come from making the forums more difficult to access?

John Gordon
Maybe there are too many Rennlisters so this is their way of thinning the herd. (i.e., maybe they want us to NOT renew)
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
And this does what?
It gets you out of the frames view mode.

Over the years there have been more complaints about it than comments in favour of it.

That said, I'm sure IB will come by here to discuss the concerns.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:23 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the "heads up" RV.! Much appreciated..!

Anyway, yes, the sidebar is gone - not sure when it got taken down - BUT - if it stays "gone" moving forward, I can tell you exactly "why"...

That was manually programmed JAVA code in a "framed page" ("menu.htm","content.htm", and "header.htm"). the problem is, that for every forum change (name, link, additions, etc.) - each piece of that menu would have to be recoded... the second problem is/was - when that was required - the entire "spacing" (vertical layout) would have to be recoded as well.. In short - that's one of the primary reasons that the "Menu" system was never updated to include all the more recent forums...?

Anyway - it's interesting, as I was speaking to IB earlier today - and YES - from our Main TLD (https://rennlist.com), we are working on some much needed updates and refreshes... If you go to that site main page, you'll see things I programmed in 1999 and after, that don't even work any longer...

The intent with all this?? To start "improving" Rennlist and making it all it should be/could be - but, keeping around an opening front page and links that don't even work any longer isn't either what you envisioned - nor did I...

So - with a "menu" system be back? I don't know yet.. But - what I can assure you of - if it does "come back" - it will be "best of breed"... Anything less isn't acceptable.

Anyway - stay tuned.... The fine folks at IB are working hard on this... And I'm working hard with IB to ensure that the changes will leave you feeling GREAT about being a Rennlister...

As well - if I had known the menu system would simply disappear - I would have told you before it went away, not after.. So I apologize to each and all of you negatively effected, as unplanned "change" isn't too much fun And I just discovered it myself

And it's "nice to be home" for a while...

Best to all,

John D.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 743 Likes on 515 Posts

Hi everyone,

Our sincere apologies. As John noted, we are working to update and make the homepage and navigation be more functional for everyone, however what's happened today actually has nothing to do with that.

There was an issue with the mobile style here on Rennlist, and in our attempt to remedy that, we caused a conflict with the traditional sidebar navigation changing the way it behaved for you. We're fixing that now, please bear with us.

cheers,
robb
Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks John and Robb for responding. I think the most frustrating aspect of the change is having to move backwards to access another forum. That shouldn't be too difficult to remedy....

JRG
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Ahhh - got it....! As I mentioned - there are some changes in the air at Rennlist - which is all "good", trust me...

Anyway - the old menu should be back in a few - and if we "update it", maybe will try a "test drive" with a few folks such as yourself? I'm not sure how IB can accommodate that yet - but - let's see what happens, OK??

many thanks for your patience and support!

JD
Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
There was an issue with the mobile style here on Rennlist, and in our attempt to remedy that, we caused a conflict with the traditional sidebar navigation changing the way it behaved for you. We're fixing that now, please bear with us.
Does that mean that the mobile version of rennlist will be back soon as well?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 743 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Does that mean that the mobile version of rennlist will be back soon as well?
What do you mean, the mobile site is working for me. Can you share some more details with me please?

cheers,
robb
Old 02-26-2014, 08:00 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 566 Likes on 382 Posts

I must be the minority….I liked the frames with lefthand navigation. Navigation is now horrible. Sadly I have disliked other IB forum navigation like MB World and prefer the "old" reenlist nag in the frames.

Oh, well. Looks like it'll now take me 10 more steps to get where I want to go so I will ultimately use Rennlist less and less everyday.

This is now officially my first complaint in 7 years.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
What do you mean, the mobile site is working for me. Can you share some more details with me please?

cheers,
robb
When I hit my usual shortcut to rennlist on my phone, it put a link to "view full site" and I haven't been able to access the mobile version since. The text on the full site is tiny on the phone and the interface is different from the mobile version that you view in a browser. I'm not talking about the app here.

Quick Reply: Help with page setup