Goolge Privacy

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 AM
jmrjames
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Goolge Privacy

Goolge Privacy

Is anyone aware and is it ok for private member conversations to be googled and put out on the internet ?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt it, but ask again in OT.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What specifically did you wish to know about Google's Privacy?

They cannot monitor private messages, or any conversation that takes place in private forums (firearms/OT etc.).
They can (and do) spider the technical forums however
Does that help?
Thanks,
Adrian
Old 02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Divot,

Could I please get a Hi Def version of your avatar? It's awesome.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Gotta ask a lawyer.

I saw a story on the news last night about some lady who spent two years trying to get some unfavorable description written of her by someone on an online blog forcibly removed - the comments were eventually found by a judge to be libel, and ordered to be removed with a written apology from the author.

The conclusion at the story's end basically was that whether or not something directed at an individual is permitted to be written and posted on the internet is highly dependent on the legal interpretation - there's a fine line between libel and opinion, and only a judge will make that determination.

So, if you cannot get it resolved person-to-person at your level, legal consultation and authority will be required to get it removed.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Private messages, and by this I mean PMs here cannot be seen by anyone except the sender and the recipient(s). Google cannot see them.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought I might add, I think we sorted out the question here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...privacy-2.html
Originally Posted by GoKart
Gotta ask a lawyer.

I saw a story on the news last night about some lady who spent two years trying to get some unfavorable description written of her by someone on an online blog forcibly removed - the comments were eventually found by a judge to be libel, and ordered to be removed with a written apology from the author.

The conclusion at the story's end basically was that whether or not something directed at an individual is permitted to be written and posted on the internet is highly dependent on the legal interpretation - there's a fine line between libel and opinion, and only a judge will make that determination.

So, if you cannot get it resolved person-to-person at your level, legal consultation and authority will be required to get it removed.
That can be very dependent upon where you are located.
US law is unique in that it places the burden of proof on the person that the potentially libelous comments are being made about to prove them wrong before they can be removed.
Canada/Australia and a few other places, defamatory comments may exist until it is asked that they be removed. Upon asking them to be removed, they must be removed until the person making the comments can factually prove that they are true and correct.
In the UK, the comments cannot exist at all until you have factual proof that they are true and correct.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
Divot,

Could I please get a Hi Def version of your avatar? It's awesome.
I don't have it. I just googled "burqa" and it popped up on the first page.

Quick Reply: Goolge Privacy