Notices

PT: RL Account Hijacked and Locked. IB has ghosted.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 07:24 PM
Tmc981
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PT: RL Account Hijacked and Locked. IB has ghosted.

I apologize for having to post this message here, but don't see any other viable options at this point.

I have been a paying RL member since 2005 under the handle of TMc993. About a month ago, I began getting PMs from RL members on other boards (All Porsche) asking questions about parts I had posted for sale. The parts described were suspension, brake and drivetrain parts from high end models like GT3, Turbo, etc.

Thing is, I had posted no parts for sale. I replied to each individual explaining so and requested they send me a link to the For Sale notices. Interestingly, I received no further reply from any of those individuals.

Assuming my account had been compromised, I PMed Moderator JohnD explaining what had happened. I never heard from JohnD, but shortly after sending the PM to him, received a network-generated email from RL containing a form to request a password reset code.

Thinking JohnD had pushed the code request form out to me, I dutifully and submitted it. I received an auto-reply from RL to the effect that an access code had been sent to my email address. I never received the access code. Of course, I was also locked out of my account.

I have no idea why anyone would hack an RL account, but in hindsight, I suspect (but can't prove) that someone scooped the account, changed the contact email, then had a password code sent to the new email address. I've checked repeatedly and have had no suspicious activity on any other of my password-protected accounts, so the RL account is the only one I have an issue with.

Anyway, there is a page on RL that is purportedly designed to enable individuals to ask for assistance, but it requires a login. It wouldn't recognize my existing password/login combo, and instructed me to contact the site administrator via the same menu. I have used that function to send no fewer than 15 messages to the "administrator," all to no avail. I have even emailed IB Brands corporate offices directly...No response (I was not surprised by this as IB Brands is notoriously non-responsive, even to people who pay them)...Crickets.

So, as a last resort, I established this new account so that I could at least log in and post this request for assistance in hopes that someone who could assist might read it. I did get a new account "Welcome" PM from "Membership Services" but of course, they had disabled the reply function...Because customer service.

All of that to say I would appreciate any advice you folks might have in terms of getting my TMc993 account back.

Thanks in advance.

Terry/TMc993/Tmc981 or whatever.

Last edited by Tmc981; 01-09-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear an out your troubles.

Im not sure how to help you but I saw this thread on another site and thought it might be related.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/bew.../#post-2141778
Old 01-09-2020, 08:50 PM
Tmc981
Track Day

Default OT: Account Apparently Hijacked and Closed. IB has ghosted.

Cross-posted on the 981 board. I started out here in 2005 and am thinking someone here might be able to advise...

I apologize for having to post this message here, but don't see any other viable options at this point.

I have been a paying RL member since 2005 under the handle of TMc993. About a month ago, I began getting PMs from RL members on other boards (All Porsche) asking questions about parts I had posted for sale. The parts described were suspension, brake and drivetrain parts from high end models like GT3, Turbo, etc.

Thing is, I had posted no parts for sale. I replied to each individual explaining so and requested they send me a link to the For Sale notices. Interestingly, I received no further reply from any of those individuals.

Assuming my account had been compromised, I PMed Moderator JohnD explaining what had happened. I never heard from JohnD, but shortly after sending the PM to him, received a network-generated email from RL containing a form to request a password reset code.

Thinking JohnD had pushed the code request form out to me, I dutifully and submitted it. I received an auto-reply from RL to the effect that an access code had been sent to my email address. I never received the access code. Of course, I was also locked out of my account.

I have no idea why anyone would hack an RL account, but in hindsight, I suspect (but can't prove) that someone scooped the account, changed the contact email, then had a password code sent to the new email address. I've checked repeatedly and have had no suspicious activity on any other of my password-protected accounts, so the RL account is the only one I have an issue with.

Anyway, there is a page on RL that is purportedly designed to enable individuals to ask for assistance, but it requires a login. It wouldn't recognize my existing password/login combo, and instructed me to contact the site administrator via the same menu. I have used that function to send no fewer than 15 messages to the "administrator," all to no avail. I have even emailed IB Brands corporate offices directly...No response (I was not surprised by this as IB Brands is notoriously non-responsive, even to people who pay them)...Crickets.

So, as a last resort, I established this new account so that I could at least log in and post this request for assistance in hopes that someone who could assist might read it. I did get a new account "Welcome" PM from "Membership Services" but of course, they had disabled the reply function...Because customer service.

All of that to say I would appreciate any advice you folks might have in terms of getting my TMc993 account back.

Thanks in advance.

Terry/TMc993/Tmc981 or whatever.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 PM
Tmc981
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jim137a
Sorry to hear an out your troubles.

Im not sure how to help you but I saw this thread on another site and thought it might be related.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/bew.../#post-2141778
Thanks, Jim. Sounds similar, but don't know how/why they needed my account. The quest for access to my old account continues.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:04 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Hi Terry,

I've merged your threads and moved them to the appropriate help forum. I've also notified @Robb M. with Internet Brands.

We're looking into the situation.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:07 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

terry,

please forward all correspondence you have sent to any address in regards to your issues to my email so that i can review why nobody responded to you. John D. while still active has not been responsible for site operations for quite some time. his non response i can understand, any others i can not.

as to the rest it sounds like your account name and password may have been compromised before you saw the password screen. if you have any URLs from your browser history, please also email those to me too.

robb.meier@internetbrands.com

cheers,
robb
Old 01-10-2020, 10:25 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

Did you request an email change on your old account on December 11?