Notices

Formatting issues with message editor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 04:46 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Default Formatting issues with message editor

New thread to discuss things apart from iOS. I, like most of the population on the planet, use Windows OS so it deserves its own thread. And for reference I most often use the latest version of Firefox as my browser.

I won't try to address all of the issues in this one post, but I thought I'd start with the issues encountered when performing a common practice on Rennlist - posting an article from the web.

How this was done previously -
Copy text of article and paste it into message box on Rennlist. Then copy link of article and paste it into message box on Rennlist.

One could then make various formatting changes if they liked, but really you were done after these 2 steps.

How the same process is now after recent changes to message editor -

Copy headline of article and paste it into message box on Rennlist. The text now remains the same LARGE and BOLDED size that it was on the original site. But no one wants the text to be huge. There was previously a button to change text size in the message editor and that is now gone. So you have to manually change the text size. This was previously done automatically for you. And why wouldn't it be? How is it considered an improvement to no longer be automatic and then to also take away the ability to quickly change the text sizing error? And still worse, if you begin to type above the large type headline, all of your text is now formatted into the same huge type. This is one of the worst things about MS Word from over the years - creating a formatted area where all text is affected. And on Rennlist, you can't cancel the large type formatted area after it's been created.

I have experienced the text changing size on it own by hitting the edit button and adding text and not changing anything with regards to the formatting of the large and bolded text. So that's an odd bug as well.

Alright, so you've given up on typing anything above the headline and wasted some time trying to shrink the headline text by placing size=2 in brackets. Now you place some portion of the article below the headline. Then when you copy/paste the link it no longer automatically becomes a link once posted on Rennlist as it did previously. You must hit the link button and paste the link in the new box there. What a completely unnecessary new step, when it used to simply post the link automatically.

There are a few more things - like the existing hyperlinks in copied text remaining as links once posted on Rennlist - but let's just deal with the few issues I've mentioned above first.

Example of the issues --

Text above headline is formatted large as well.
At a Navajo veterans' event, Trump makes 'Pocahontas' crack

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump, during an event at the White House honoring Navajo code talkers Monday, referenced his nickname for Sen. Elizabeth Warren, "Pocahontas," a label he has long used about the Massachusetts Democrat."I just want to thank you because you are very, very special people. You were here long before any of us were here," Trump said. "Although, we have a representative in Congress who has been here a long time ... longer than you -- they call her Pochahontas!"
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/27/politi...ers/index.html
Old 11-27-2017, 04:49 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Well that time the link did work, but it has previously not worked. So that's a little wonky. I don't know what it will do the next time I try it.

Anyone feel free to post other issues that you are having with the new message editor.

And I'm sure we'll hear from IB staff on these issues as well.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump, during an event at the White House honoring Navajo code talkers Monday, referenced his nickname for Sen. Elizabeth Warren, "Pocahontas," a label he has long used about the Massachusetts Democrat.

"I just want to thank you because you are very, very special people. You were here long before any of us were here," Trump said. "Although, we have a representative in Congress who has been here a long time ... longer than you -- they call her Pocahontas!"
Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

CNN Digital Expansion 2017
By Dan Merica, CNN
Updated 4:20 PM ET, Mon November 27, 2017
President Donald Trump, right, meets with Navajo Code Talkers Peter MacDonald, center, and Thomas Begay, left, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Monday, Nov. 27, 2017. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh

SEN WARREN- IT'S CLEAR IT'S TIME FOR SPECIAL PROSECUTOR
Warren: No doubt Comey firing is a cover-up
WASHINGTON, D.C. - FEBRUARY 8: (AFP-OUT) U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCCA) Winter Meeting on February 8, 2017 in Washington, DC. During his speech, Trump said one of the main reasons he was elected was his stance on law and order. (Photo by Chris Kleponis-Pool/Getty Images)
Trump refers to Warren as 'Pocahontas' again
warren tears up immigration ban sot _00003726.jpg
Sen. Warren: Overturn Trump's executive order

Elizabeth Warren: Trump a 'thin-skinned, racist bully'
WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 07: U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) waits for the beginning of a hearing before the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee April 7, 2016 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. The committee held a hearing on "The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's Semi-Annual Report to Congress." (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Who is Elizabeth Warren?
President Donald Trump, right, meets with Navajo Code Talkers Peter MacDonald, center, and Thomas Begay, left, in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Monday, Nov. 27, 2017. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh
Trump makes Pocahontas crack to code talkers

White House: 'Pocahontas' not racial slur

Mutual dislike between Trump, Sen. Warren

Warren: Trump gets 'F' on draining the swamp

Trump slams Warren during NRA speech
SEN WARREN- IT'S CLEAR IT'S TIME FOR SPECIAL PROSECUTOR
Warren: No doubt Comey firing is a cover-up
WASHINGTON, D.C. - FEBRUARY 8: (AFP-OUT) U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCCA) Winter Meeting on February 8, 2017 in Washington, DC. During his speech, Trump said one of the main reasons he was elected was his stance on law and order. (Photo by Chris Kleponis-Pool/Getty Images)
Trump refers to Warren as 'Pocahontas' again
warren tears up immigration ban sot _00003726.jpg
Sen. Warren: Overturn Trump's executive order

Elizabeth Warren: Trump a 'thin-skinned, racist bully'
WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 07: U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) waits for the beginning of a hearing before the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee April 7, 2016 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. The committee held a hearing on "The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's Semi-Annual Report to Congress." (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Who is Elizabeth Warren?
Trump makes Pocahontas crack to code talkers

White House: 'Pocahontas' not racial slur

Mutual dislike between Trump, Sen. Warren

Warren: Trump gets 'F' on draining the swamp

Trump slams Warren during NRA speech
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Trump has called Warren "Pocahontas" in the past
The President did not specifically name Warren
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump, during an event at the White House honoring Navajo code talkers Monday, referenced his nickname for Sen. Elizabeth Warren, "Pocahontas," a label he has long used about the Massachusetts Democrat.

"I just want to thank you because you are very, very special people. You were here long before any of us were here," Trump said. "Although, we have a representative in Congress who has been here a long time ... longer than you -- they call her Pocahontas!"
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Are these examples supposed to mean something?

The issues I'm describing still exist, even if you are able to copy and paste text from your computer. I'm not making them up to amuse myself.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I am trying to replicate what you describe, but as yet, I have not been able to do so. What version of FF are you running? (It could be that I am not physically able to test using Windows)
Old 11-27-2017, 07:20 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

FF Version 57.0

It's the latest version.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Another issue that keeps repeating is that the message box on Rennlist keeps ignoring the copied text on my clipboard. So when I right click inside the box, it won't give me the "paste" option to place the text. Again, then is a new issue with the recent updates. It has never happened before until then.

If you want to reproduce that, you may need a mouse with more than one button.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:27 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Another issue that keeps repeating is that the message box on Rennlist keeps ignoring the copied text on my clipboard. So when I right click inside the box, it won't give me the "paste" option to place the text. Again, then is a new issue with the recent updates. It has never happened before until then.

If you want to reproduce that, you may need a mouse with more than one button.
I can reproduce this, though it's possible a Firefox issue? You can always paste, but only if you place the arrow at exactly where the cursor happens to be in the text editor box. So if you have no text entered when you want to paste, you have to place the arrow at the upper left, where your first letter would appear if typing. This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but it doesn't work that way in Safari so not sure who is to blame.

I am putting together a laundry list for our tech team, this is on it.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Possibly a Firefox issue? Seriously? I'll send them a tech request to fix it right away.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Originally Posted by SeanR
Possibly a Firefox issue? Seriously? I'll send them a tech request to fix it right away.
Thanks for your helpful post. Appreciate you letting Mozilla know.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:11 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

To put this on FF and not the recent changes here seems a little off, since this was never a problem until the recent changes to the text editor here.

In fact, none of the problems I'm experiencing occurred until the changes recently implemented by IB, and they are not occurring on other sites while using FF either.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:58 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Same problems on Windows 7x64, IE 11 (work computer, yeah, we get the best ).

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I am trying to replicate what you describe, but as yet, I have not been able to do so. What version of FF are you running? (It could be that I am not physically able to test using Windows)
Wait, IB doesn't provide you with a windows computer for testing purposes? That's . . . odd. The web guys here test on multiple OS and browser combos.
Another issue that keeps repeating is that the message box on Rennlist keeps ignoring the copied text on my clipboard. So when I right click inside the box, it won't give me the "paste" option to place the text.
The reply box seems to be pretty touchy about where your arrow is. In the old Reply box, if you clicked anywhere in the box, cursor would be in the upper left and you could paste.

Now, there is "white space" above, below, and to the sides of the cursor is (or where the text is, if you already pasted something). If you right-click in the white space, you don't "jump" /focus to where the cursor is and you don't get the option to paste in the menu. You have to click right on or next to the cursor (or text) to get the right-click menu with the paste option.

If I click on this text, I get this menu - note Paste option

But if I click just below, or in the 1/4" strip to the left or right of the text, or above the first line of the text, I get this menu instead

Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

I tried clicking right on the cursor and it still wouldn't work.

That's an absurd requirement in the first place. Why are we going backwards in ease of use on the UI?
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I tried clicking right on the cursor and it still wouldn't work.

That's an absurd requirement in the first place. Why are we going backwards in ease of use on the UI?
It's not a requirement, it's definitely a bug. The team are working on it. Along with things like sizing adjustment and better source mode behaviour.

Quick Reply: Formatting issues with message editor