Notices

IB: New editor mostly-unusable on iOS.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 01:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,047 Posts
Default IB: New editor mostly-unusable on iOS.

$(subject)

I'd provide examples except that I'm posting this from my iPad. (So, I can't.)

Quite obviously, the new editor was never, not once, tested on iOS 11.

Par for this course.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
$(subject)

I'd provide examples except that I'm posting this from my iPad. (So, I can't.)

Quite obviously, the new editor was never, not once, tested on iOS 11.

Par for this course.
replying from my iOS 11 iPad right now. What seems to be your issue?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Old 11-19-2017, 02:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robb, anything more involved than a few-line post, bottom-posting a quoted reply or inserting a single picture is broken to the point of frustration.
Selection, copy and paste has always been problematic on iOS. It's almost non-functional now.
As soon as the post area becomes bigger than the editor's scrollable view area, editing is almost impossible.
Any test plan worth the name would have uncovered the issues. Thus: no testing. As usual.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I am simply not experiencing the issues you describe. Could you please take advantage if iOS 11's new screen recording feature to show me what you're experiencing please? I have been using iOS 11 for many many many months across all of our communities using this nee CK editor. It's been tested extensively.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I am simply not experiencing the issues you describe. Could you please take advantage if iOS 11's new screen recording feature to show me what you're experiencing please? I have been using iOS 11 for many many many months across all of our communities using this nee CK editor. It's been tested extensively.
You've been running beta's? ios11 has only been GA since mid-september.

In any case, my one month-old iPad Pro is running 10.3.3. My bad. I hadn't even checked until I couldn't find the screen recorder feature.

I guess I'll need to upgrade and see if the IB experience is the same.

Looks like 11.1.2 is being reported as far more stable than previous but it's only been out for three days.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Yes, I am running betas. On 11.2b4 on an iPad Air 2 right now. Hence my follow up questions. I do appreciate you may well have a different experience than I am.

cheers,
robb
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am running betas. On 11.2b4 on an iPad Air 2 right now. Hence my follow up questions. I do appreciate you may well have a different experience than I ...
I'll upgrade in a couple days assuming that no ridiculous bugs are reported. Until then I'll shut up .

But, on 10.3.3 this new editor is far worse than the old one. Once the view is bigger than the canvas, the view jumps around with each copy/paste operation such that the cursor (edit location) is off the view and focus is lost. To get the cursor 'back' you have to 'finger' seemingly random portions of the screen to force the view to reacquire edit focus and place itself on the canvas such that the cursor is in the view.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I am not entirely clear what you mean by 'once the view is bigger than the canvas'. Can you please elaborate? are you saying things get weird when you use two fingers to 'zoom the screen in' from the standard loaded view?

cheers,
robb
Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am not entirely clear what you mean by 'once the view is bigger than the canvas'. Can you please elaborate? are you saying things get weird when you use two fingers to 'zoom the screen in' from the standard loaded view?
No. That's not it. Due to overloading and/or variations of definitions of terms it is hard to describe this precisely without referring to the specific technology used in coding the UI.

I will use terms from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewport

There is a window in which text for a post is edited and displayed: the editor window.
There is a view(port) that overlays the window. This view's size is constrained by the screen size and other UI elements outside the view.
If the text in the window is such that the window is bigger than the view then the view clips portions of the window. The view can be scrolled up/down so as to display differnt portions of window.

In the previous post I describe that copy/paste operations cause the view - when it is smaller than the text editor window - to move in such a way, relative to the text editor window, such that the cursor location in the window is clipped by the view. The view also looses edit focus and thus you cannot scroll the view so as to make the cursor visible.

In fact, typing the above I see that the problem is even simpler: once the window is bigger than the view there is NO way to scroll the view independently of the entire enclosing browser view. I cannot, as I type this, scroll the view back to the top of the editor windo to edit the first sentence I wrote.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Question

No. That's not it. Due to overloading and/or variations of definitions of terms it is hard to describe this precisely without referring to the specific technology used in coding the UI.

I will use terms from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewport

There is a window in which text for a post is edited and displayed: the editor window.
There is a view(port) that overlays the window. This view's size is constrained by the screen size and other UI elements outside the view.
If the text in the window is such that the window is bigger than the view then the view clips portions of the window. The view can be scrolled up/down so as to display differnt portions of window.

In the previous post I describe that copy/paste operations cause the view - when it is smaller than the text editor window - to move in such a way, relative to the text editor window, such that the cursor location in the window is clipped by the view. The view also looses edit focus and thus you cannot scroll the view so as to make the cursor visible.

In fact, typing the above I see that the problem is even simpler: once the window is bigger than the view there is NO way to scroll the view independently of the entire enclosing browser view. I cannot, as I type this, scroll the view back to the top of the editor windo to edit the first sentence I wrote.
smaller
i am not sure, are we seeing the same thing?

Old 11-20-2017, 12:32 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Why is the quick reply box about 20x larger than previous versions?
Old 11-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Originally Posted by SeanR
Why is the quick reply box about 20x larger than previous versions?
good question. It was my understanding they would be the same size. I will follow-up.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

smaller

i am not sure, are we seeing the same thing?
You're not doing what I'm describing. Try copying from the bottom of the editor window, scrolling to the top and pasting to the top. And the reverse (copy from top, scroll and paste to bottom.)

It becomes apparent to me, as I spend time reproducing this, that the fundamental problem is the inability to scroll the editor's view on the editor's window once there is more text than can be displayed in the view.

The browser window is trapping the scroll events for the editor view.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

The browser window is trapping the scroll events for the editor view.
I am away from my iPad for the moment, but did you not see in my video that I can scroll the editor view without scrolling the browser window? You can't do that at all?

cheers,
robb

Quick Reply: IB: New editor mostly-unusable on iOS.