Notices

How to deactivate new auto "Related Thread" & continuous scrolling feature on mobile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:05 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question How to deactivate new auto "Related Thread" & continuous scrolling feature on mobile?

Brand new changes have automatically been instituted on the Rennlist mobile view. (Android phone, not an installed 'app;' simply the mobile view versus desktop/computer view.)

How to deactivate them?

On some threads, a "Related Thread" title auto-populates, followed by a full page of whatever thread the algorithm picks -- not just a 1-line hyperlink you have the option of clicking -- & the 'Related Thread' is usually UN-related.

On other threads when you scroll to the bottom of a page, the next page auto-loads, forming an un-ending thread. If you're anywhere but the first page & you scroll back to what used to be the top of the page, the previous page auto-populates.

This might seem convenient on shorter threads, but on longer multi-page threads it's more useful for page boundaries to be identified.

I'm all for new options, but these are NOT options - they're automatic.

How to turn them off?

Example of "Related Thread":

Old 08-22-2015, 02:39 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ + 991

Related Thread is super annoying (and completely unrelated).

Even worse, you need to scroll to the bottom of Related Thread so you can get to the Reply button, for the thread you are on.

Please make Related Thread go away.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't think that feature is planned for removal any time soon.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Randy-- More details, please.

At the least:
Why was it recently added?
... without warning?

Why is it not an option, allowing RLers to choose whether or not they want it activated?

Until learning the true rationale behind it:
Seems the auto-populating "Related Thread" feature is less focused on the user (RLers) and more a way for the commercial entity to register more 'hits' on threads that wouldn't otherwise be opened,
enabling statistics that allow advertisers to be charged more money.

If that's true, it's not a user-focused effort, but more likely a short-sighted "good idea" that annoys RLers & doesn't get advertisers what they're paying for.
Originally Posted by lunarx

Please make Related Thread go away.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Related Threads section has been around for almost a year now. Perhaps you just recently noticed it.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:05 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy V
The Related Threads section has been around for almost a year now. Perhaps you just recently noticed it.
I used to be able to scroll to the end of my thread. Now it scrolls to end of the related thread.
Also, its harder to find the reply button, since its hidden at the end of the related thread.

So can it be turned off, or not?
Why is it even there?
Nobody finds it usefull.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Randy, it's more likely you're thinking of the 'related threads' section that was added about a year ago, where titles of threads appear at the bottom of threads with one-line clickable hyperlinks. That old feature rarely adds value, IMHO, but is the better of two evils: this new feature unwelcomely auto-populates an entire thread at the bottom of the thread the RLer was previously reading, dominating the rest of the screen as one scrolls down.

Pay attention to the details of the originating post and the screen shot image, as well as the consistency of comments by RLer lunarx, above.

a "Related Thread" title auto-populates, followed by a full page of whatever thread the algorithm picks -- not just a 1-line hyperlink you have the option of clicking -- & the 'Related Thread' is usually UN-related.

Example of "Related Thread":

Old 08-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That screenshot is from a mobile device?

If so it looks like that 'feature' is only part of the mobile app. I don't see that on the standard view.

I agree it appears to add no value and makes the mobile experience less user-friendly.

I've given Robb M. and IB Nolan of IB a heads-up to see what they can find out.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:17 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy V
That screenshot is from a mobile device?

If so it looks like that 'feature' is only part of the mobile app. I don't see that on the standard view.

I agree it appears to add no value and makes the mobile experience less user-friendly.

I've given Robb M. of IB a heads-up to see what he can find out.
FYI:
It's not Mobile App related.
It's Mobile View (when using a mobile browser).
Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 PM
IB Nolan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new feature will get an update to allow you to better navigate once you are in the middle of a long thread or reach the end of a thread (where the related thread starts) and simply want to go back to the sub-forum.

Users wanted infinite scrolling (avoiding the click to continue to the next page in the same thread) but there are complaints network wide on the way the related thread and navigation is handled. We should have a fix soon.

We are also fixing it so that you can still jump to the "First Unread" post instead of being dumped at the first thread in a page.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 PM
IB Nolan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx

Even worse, you need to scroll to the bottom of Related Thread so you can get to the Reply button, for the thread you are on.
Reply button is always at the bottom left on the menu

Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Nolan
...there are complaints network wide on the way the related thread and navigation is handled. We should have a fix soon.
Did we ever get a mechanism to disable the "Related Thread" behavior for the mobile view? It never bothered me before because I've always used a laptop to view the site, but now that I'm using a tablet this thing driving me crazy and really chills my enthusiasm for visiting the site. Accessing Rennlist from an iPad is not a very pleasant experience.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:08 AM
Analog 996
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default test post 1

Originally Posted by Nugget
Did we ever get a mechanism to disable the "Related Thread" behavior for the mobile view? It never bothered me before because I've always used a laptop to view the site, but now that I'm using a tablet this thing driving me crazy and really chills my enthusiasm for visiting the site. Accessing Rennlist from an iPad is not a very pleasant experience.
Test

Quick Reply: How to deactivate new auto "Related Thread" & continuous scrolling feature on mobile?