Forum Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
WallyP

Rennlist Member
Rennlist Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Forum Marketing

OK, just had a strange experience. I posted in one of the threads and upon reading my post, I realized that I have omitted the crank position sensor as a possible cause for a no-start. I hit the edit button and added "...the crank position sensor..." to the post.

When the edited post appeared, I noticed that "crank position sensor" was in a different font and color, as in a URL link. I clicked on the link, and the Advance Auto website popped up with a page of crank position sensors! When I backed out of the Advance page and went back to my edited post, the link was gone...

I buy quite a bit from Advance, and have an account there, but it is a bit spooky to realize that they apparently are watching everything that I do! I thought that I would see if I can stop that. I immediately ran several spyware/trojan/virus programs (which I do pretty often), and my system came up clean.

My son (who makes his living as a computer provisioning/support tech) logged in as a visitor, and the links show up for him as well, in both Chrome and Firefox - so looks like it is this forum changing my input to ads for various vendors. I'm not too happy with that. I am glad that it wasn't Advance doing it.

I am guessing that this is something new, since I haven't noticed it before. My apologies if this is an enzo...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:22 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 547 Likes on 410 Posts

You'd think that, as a Forum Sponsor, at least the links would go to your website rather than to an unknown who can't actually supply a 928 CPS. Just sayin'...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:26 PM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not payed attention, but will now. Umm I do not understand the enzo thing (ignorant in many ways)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Mark R.
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

This site comes up looking totally different to a non-member.
I have my login configured to automatically remember me.
But when I access from a different computer, it opens as a non-member.
And I am always surprised at all the embedded ads and hot links I see.
It even causes each of the pages to load slightly (but noticably) slower.
That reminds me to go back up and log in and then all is normal again.
Obviously, the ads help fund the site, but only penalize non-members.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Yup... For long-standing paid members who haven't logged-out in years, logout and then browse Rennlist as an anonymous user: Spam City.

Eyeballs and clicks via adsense (or similar) or your membership fees pay to keep the bits 'round here flippin'.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:03 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoe
I have not payed attention, but will now. Umm I do not understand the enzo thing (ignorant in many ways)
at the risk of an enzo, do a search for your enlightenment.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:32 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Wally, I've seen this happen numerous times and most times the hyperlinks are to places I've never visited, so this is all on IB. It has been going on for around a month and is getting more frequent.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:37 PM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joejoe
Umm I do not understand the enzo thing (ignorant in many ways)
It is slang for "repost", the internet forum faux pas of posting a new thread about a current event without bothering to check to see if anyone had already posted a new thread about it.

It came from 2006 when this happened:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Eriksson
and many car forums were saddled with duplicate threads as people rushed to be the first to break the news, another common internet-ego quirk of human psychology. The exotic forums were a mess.

In this case, WallyP ends his message about Rennlist's automatic embedded advertising (a solid revenue generator, good for them!) with an apology in advance if this subject had already been discussed.
Statements like this serve to fend off the possibility that someone's online ego may be offended that they would waste their valuable time-wasting-time and precious forum bandwidth on reading a subject that had already been discussed, giving them cause to reply with rude and insulting things they would never say face-to-face in person to someone bringing up an already-discussed topic in real life conversation.

For my part, I have angered several fragile online egos by arguing that Enzos/reposts actually do serve a purpose: some people may have missed the interesting news - or adoption of a slang term, ahem - the first time.

- Josh
Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

As I understand it, it's only supposed to happen for non-members (or if you are not logged in).

I've seen it happen randomly to logged on members (including myself). IB is aware of the issue and is looking into it.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:15 PM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for the explanation Josh.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:18 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

My security gateway has a pretty extensive list of blocked ad and known spam sites configured. There are also many third-party browser add-ins that can be used to help manage the amount of unwanted links and cookies that you get when casually surfing. Meanwhile, I do appreciate that that these forums do cost money to operate, so using the forum links to do your shopping brings revenue to IB that would otherwise need to come from subscribers.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Drewster67
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a correlation to rennlist search features linked to personal accounts -

Facebook does this. you search for a product or service then you start seeing ads for similar products or services. BIG brother is watching .....scary schitte

SMH
Old 12-02-2014, 05:17 PM
dr bob
Chronic Tool Dropper
Lifetime Rennlist

Google, Amazon, and many other ad-bundling sites do this by adding cookies to your computer. You can manually remove cookies one at a time, all at a time, or block the offending cookie-placers. The ad sites aren't keeping track of your browsing/search/shopping/interest/habits, your computer is graciously learning and storing all that info for them.

Use your browser's incognito/anonymous browsing capabilities, and plan on manually logging into all your member websites each session. Your trail of cookie crumbs disappears when you shut down the browser.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Bertrand Daoust
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 498 Posts

Wally,

Are you using Ask.com?

Something quite similar happened to me last September and it was because of that site.

Somebody at home put it on the computer instead of Google.

If it is your case, just Google "ask.com remove" to find how to remove that crap.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:18 PM
SMTCapeCod
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wink nay not patient

Originally Posted by JEC_31
I
It came from 2006 when this happened:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Eriksson
and many car forums were saddled with duplicate threads as people rushed to be the first to break the news, another common internet-ego quirk of human psychology. The exotic forums were a mess.
#/ "Enzo 0" , cool...

Quick Reply: Forum Marketing