Notices

"notjustporsche" denied me

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 05:57 PM
slang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post "notjustporsche" denied me

Why do I see comments added to the bottom of some posts, like "Join the notjusporsche forum on Yahoo" (or something like that), then I try to join and my membership gets denied? I tried twice, from two different addresses, with the same results. I am a member of several Yahoo! groups (Slange944 <- wonder where that came from?), so that's not it.

I don't care if I "get" to join the group or not. I'm just questioning the object of the advertisement if they refuse membership?
Old 06-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by slang:
<strong>Why do I see comments added to the bottom of some posts, like "Join the notjusporsche forum on Yahoo" (or something like that), then I try to join and my membership gets denied?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Can you please point me to these posts?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:07 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: "notjustporsche" denied me

Originally posted by slang
Why do I see comments added to the bottom of some posts, like "Join the notjusporsche forum on Yahoo" (or something like that), then I try to join and my membership gets denied? I tried twice, from two different addresses, with the same results. I am a member of several Yahoo! groups (Slange944 <- wonder where that came from?), so that's not it.

I don't care if I "get" to join the group or not. I'm just questioning the object of the advertisement if they refuse membership?
HI Slang,

I came across your post purely by luck (as I was doing a engine search)
as I don't read the feedback posts,

only the 24/44/s2 and off topic posts

anyway,

To answer your question.

Background: NJP was set up as an offshoot from TiPEC board so OffTopiC conversation was more freely allowed, it is a close knit of people (now totalling about 30) small, friendly. Conversations are about anything, though we are brought together mainly for our interests in Porsche but chat is not exclusive to it !

Think about going to a bar/pub with some friends from a "company" you may talk shop and you may talk about the weather etc.

We all try and help each other out due to our variety of skills within the group.

NJP is also a subscribe only group (no charge or fee at all) but I want to keep it like that cos it works so far, I grant access t all new members unlike the TiPEC board where you can just get access and wade on through.

------------

Up until recently, anyone who asked to subscribe was given free access to the closed user group. Untill I had some problems with some low life scum sucking to55ers, so like any system you improove on it.

Now I want to let people have full access to all its facilities but dont want a few idiots spoiling it for the rest. So Ive been experimemnting with giving limited access, moderating posts and checking out information (for all new members)

sometimes before I give access I will mail the individual back, if I get no reply or worse, I give no access, if my "spider sense" begins to tingle again I give no access.

I take on board what you have said, and I have changed my "pending message" (ie the message you get when you ask for subscription) which clearly and hopefully explains this better than the old "The webmaster is away from his desk" message, yahoo only lets me send one type of refused message, I sometimes send a mail along with that.

However like anything, the internet is open to abuse, it is my right to give or deny access to someone wanting to use my free service, to safe guard my site, my members and the freedom of my members to post/reply to messages without fear, intimidation or backlash,. Of that I make no apology and stand by it 100%.

Think of it like this, You want to go out to a nightclub. You "may want to get" into said nightclub, the bouncer "may" or may not let you in, when you get in if you misbehave your turfed out.

ROAR (right of admission reserved)

hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

regards

Adrian aka "Ade" aka "Jaye"

also posted in the "off topic" section of rennlist over at NJP and TiPEC.

Quick Reply: "notjustporsche" denied me