Notices

very very slow browsing ...yawn

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009 | 04:29 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Default very very slow browsing ...yawn

anyone any idea why Rennlist should be so slow for pages to renew ?

It usually takes 30 seconds or more for a message to post as the page just hangs and hangs for ever.

I have 12 forum sites tabbed on my Firefox browser and none of them give me the slightest trouble ever. All the others are absolutely instant . Too fast to see.

I think it is something to do with the flash animation on this site .I could try a flash 'blocker' but the last time I downloaded one my hard drive crapped out soon after .

Any ideas welcome as its becoming impossible to browse this site for me now
Old 12-22-2009 | 11:33 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Hi - I made this post here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...w-again-2.html
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
I just wanted to update, we think we found the culprit, and we made some further improvements to the sites load balancer as well.

The item causing the sporadic slowness and or failed page load is an issue with the firewall that was installed when we underwent cyber attacks (to handle the additional load).
We have been learning the intricacies of the new hardware, and discovered an instance where a signal can essentially get past our firewall, get to our load balancer, go back to our firewall, and "die". This will cause the failure to load a page you may have experienced. "Refreshing" should have loaded the page quickly, as it only occurs on one of our firewalls, and only in rare instances.
This issue should be resolved as we update the configuration on our newer firewall first thing tomorrow.

Separately, we made some changes on our load balancer today which should provide a significant improvement in site loading speed.
Let me know if you have further issues.
Thanks,
Adrian
Hopefully it is quicker for you now.
Please let us know if you are still having problems.
Thanks!
Adrian
Old 12-23-2009 | 07:11 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

thank you Adrian for your response.

members first thoughts are obviously with the performance of our PC's but in this instance, as all other forums browsed were working normally I knew it had to be something on this site .

Everything seems to be working perfectly now thanks.

Damn I spoke too soon

This post has just taken 2minutes 40 seconds to post from the moment I selected 'submit reply'

I've posted on two other forums whilst I waited !.....
Old 12-24-2009 | 05:23 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

well it takes 1 minute 40 seconds to post a message today. Is that an improvement ?

There is only one other forum site that I know has had this problem for over a year now and that is http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/
BikeRadar.

This site also makes extensive use of Flash animation for advertising which is clearly the source of the problem.

This laggy/ freeze up problem can be overcome by downloading and using 'Adblocker' but the last time I tried that I caught a virus soon after so I'm reluctant to go that route again.

I'm using XP Pro SP2 and FF 3.5.5.

Quick Reply: very very slow browsing ...yawn