Notices

Rennlist SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rennlist SLOW

O.K., I'm not a paying member here so maybe I shouldn't complain BUT the server response this past week from Rennlist is making it totatly unuseable.
I have fast internet access and it takes MINUTES for a topic to load.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a paying member and unfortunately experience the same thing!... I thought I was alone with this...
Old 10-17-2005, 10:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,829 Likes on 2,389 Posts

i have been on RL for 4+ years. it is indeed getting slower and slower to the point that i can finish my projects in b/n reloads. ugh...
Old 10-17-2005, 10:46 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I too, have notice this in the last few weeks. It has not been slow constantly, but rather intermittently. Tonight it is very S-L-O-W!
Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe if more people would buck up and contribute then Jon could upgrade the system to avoid all the slow response rate complaints?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

sure, where to send money, john d?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

John, I was referring to the non-contributing members. Obviously as a "Rennlist Member" you have contributed.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Was just speaking about that in a PM with a highly respected member here. I love the site and am not complaining about it, but if its a server or a need for more bandwidth then please consider joining if you are not already a member. In this world of overpriced, highly inflated everything I can safely say Rennlist is probably the best deal out there.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:24 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

dell,

you are not related to dell computer are you ;-)
i am not too computer savvy, ok, i suck at computers.
i would like to buy another membership, but don't remember how i did it the first time around. if someone can point me to a link or something....
Old 10-18-2005, 02:04 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm with Dell you don't have a right to complain if you're not a member. It's like complaining about a politician when you chose not to vote in the election.

That said John D. what up? Do we need to reach across the screens and make all these users part of the paying member society?

I love the site but it is getting intemmitently slower and slower. How can we help?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:42 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m no internet techie but it seems a no-brainer that the more people on this site trying to post, the slower the performance has got to be, given the same equipment. And when there are fewer people trying to post the faster it just has to be.

If Rennlist cannot afford to buy and maintain the type of equipment that can handle the kind of traffic it is getting lately, they need to take some serious measures to ensure that the current membership does not erode, leaving them with less funds to maintain the status quo, which of late is VERY SLOW. And where would the incentive be for anyone to join a slow forum site?

I would like to propose that only paying members, Rennlist Members, be the only ones with the privilege to post on the forums here (write and read access). All non-paying users will only have read access (lurk mode). That’s one solution. But I think, if I were the one responsible for generating Rennlist membership, I would propose a solution with a little teaser incentive built-in. I would limit the number of free posts to a maximum of ten, say, before the newbie is reduced to read-only status. And each time a newbie posts a reply, a pop-up would remind them of the number of free posts remaining, and ask them if they would like to convert to full membership now, which they would be obligated to respond to (“yes” or “remind me later”) before they can proceed with their post. This would at least give them an opportunity to sample the site before becoming a paying member. And if they like the experience (because of the really lightening fast throughput) they’ll sign up. And if they don’t, then we won’t have their freeloading asses bogging down the site for the rest of us. It’s as simple as that. ... They will at least be able to learn from this site for free as a lurker. One thing Rennlist can easily do right now, and that is to restrict the use of PMs to members only. PMs should only be a privilege of the paying membership, without a trial period involved.

You need to pay to play, that’s all I’m saying. What do you guys think?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:12 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are ways to improve performance. Eliminating the "New Thread" button would minimize database processing. Minimize pictures and large avatar/pics in signature is another.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:57 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

If you own a Porsche and go to the Rennlist site, I can see no reason why you would not be a paying member. Therefore, I agree with OCben, you need to pay in order to play.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually,
I got my membership from a kind person here. In my opinion this was both a very friendly and a Rennlist spirit thing. So I put my money on another person who is a great contributor here and paid his membership.

Hopefully a few of you know one or two people here that have invaluable knowledge or perhaps just someone you like to stay here who are not paying members yet.

There will always be those who think one should pay only for themselves, but hopefully we can get a ball rolling. In the end, the biggest winner are ourselves since we support Rennlist.

Cheers
Old 10-18-2005, 11:29 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
There are ways to improve performance. Eliminating the "New Thread" button would minimize database processing.
Are you kiddin' me? Doing away with the capability of starting new threads??? Are you serious? Take away the very thing that makes this site so popular? Yeah, that'll make outsiders flock here and become paying members in a hurry!

It takes hardware assets to keep the site running the way we like it. And apparently current assets are not adequate.

As jcf7 points out, if you own a Porsche and you find this site useful, there is no excuse for not willing to fork over a little over a dollar a month for all the information and knowledge you gain here - A DOLLAR A MONTH!
Originally Posted by Rassel
Hopefully a few of you know one or two people here that have invaluable knowledge or perhaps just someone you like to stay here who are not paying members yet.

There will always be those who think one should pay only for themselves, but hopefully we can get a ball rolling.
It's nice to be generous and all for those who need help, but Porsche owners are not exactly of the indigent variety that need a charitable handout to get by in life. If they are so poor that they can't afford to pay less than 5¢ a day, then they have no business posting their 2¢ worth!