Notices

Rennlist SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:43 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you post a FAQ with the following answers you can eliminate half the posts immediately:

1. The V1 is the best radar detector. Stop asking.
2. Install the clear side markers and shut up.
3. Either break in your car per the owners manual or just dont. Its up to you.

That should elinate hundreds of posts this month alone.

On a serious note, I also agree with OCBen. Someone should send a PM to John and alert him to this thread.

-adam
Old 10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
Its nice to be generous and all for those who need help, but Porsche owners are not exactly of the indigent variety that need a charitable handout to get by in life. If they are so poor that they can't afford to pay less than 5¢ a day, then they have no business posting their 2¢ worth!
I tried post my "pay to play" opinion the other night on this thread, but my computer timed out before the post went through. Its time to upgrade, and if it takes a few more $$ from members, then let's do it. A person should be a member before being allowed to post, and perhaps a reduced rate for a 3 month trial membership might be an enticement for more "lurkers" to join up.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:48 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Now I think we are getting somewhere. How about for "trial members" (non Rennlist Members) they can:

1. Post up to "x" number of posts before required to join or just lurk
2. No pictures, avitars, etc, until joining.
3. No PM use until joining.
4. Offer 3 month memberships ($5)

Any more ideas?

....I just want to make it clear that I enjoy the input from several of the non-apying members and would like to see them stick around but if they can't step up as well, then this site will continue to grow and continue to slow down. Remember the 80/20 rule? I bet it holds here as well.......80% of the $$$ contibuted by membership is done by 20% of the people.

One more example. then I will submit.....we had a track event this past weekend and I asked why for the first time lunch wasn't catered in? Answer: Because it was costing about $600-700 and the "throw some money in the jar" concept wasn't working. How much on average were they collecting? You guessed it! LESS THAN A $100! Pathetic. There will always be the contigent that doesn't want to pay and like riding the coatails of those that are.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
It's nice to be generous and all for those who need help, but Porsche owners are not exactly of the indigent variety that need a charitable handout to get by in life. If they are so poor that they can't afford to pay less than 5¢ a day, then they have no business posting their 2¢ worth!
That was not the point. The point was to get the ball rolling. I doubt bashing other people for not being paying members would be the right thing to do. I believe that most members here, started out posting and then became members and it should stay that way.

I also think banning posting for non-paying users would be a bad idea. I think it would be better to let people here post and after they have come familiar with Rennlist they pay for a membership.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The 3 month membership is a bad idea. The transaction cost of processing $5 versus $17.95 is the same, but the accounting costs of keeping track of payments go up. If you're going to go through the trouble of processing a payment, why not just pay the full amount and be done with it. ... This is pocket change we're talking about here. Most of us blow more than that in the first hour at a sports bar!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about $99.95, or some other fee, to be a 'lifetime member' - - this would be an easy way to raise capital quickly - especially from those that are already members.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Anyone here has PMed John to see this thread? I am positive he is aware of the problems as he was putting a few more chipmunks in the spin wheel to improve the system the other day... ...but would be good to drop him a note (let me go ahead and do that...)

On the non-members issue... I like the system the way it is now. That is how I started (non paying contributor for a year). I posted questions as well as answers. The advantage of the membership (outside of showing true support for the site) is the ability to post photos, search, signature and avatar, and the satisfaction of belonging So I joined. Best money spent.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Rassel
I also think banning posting for non-paying users would be a bad idea. I think it would be better to let people here post and after they have come familiar with Rennlist they pay for a membership.
If you read my suggestions, that's exactly what I suggested. Give newbies a free limited trial period so that they can become familiar with this site and would want to become a member after seeing the benefits of membership.

As LVDell pointed out, if you rely on people to pitch in on their own, you'll always come out short.

This is really a marketing issue. And providing incentives to make a purchase is really at the core.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
What about $99.95, or some other fee, to be a 'lifetime member' - - this would be an easy way to raise capital quickly - especially from those that are already members.
Good suggestion!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:17 PM
AW
Pro

IMO, the only way to monetize a site like rennlist is through targeted advertising on focused traffic. There are many vendors in the Porsche marketplace that would love to reach us and that's where the real money is. Straightforward solution with GOOG and YHOO exist, however, many other things could be done. Adding any kind of restriction on the user just degrades the site value.

Now, is it the case that Rennlist is slow because of lack or server? Or is it that the current computer architecture reached its scalability limits?

JohnD, if you read this. I'm familiar with both monetization of online sites and performance and scalability issues. Feel free to pm me if I can be of any assistance.

AW
Old 10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by AW
IMO, the only way to monetize a site like rennlist is through targeted advertising on focused traffic. There are many vendors in the Porsche marketplace that would love to reach us and that's where the real money is. Straightforward solution with GOOG and YHOO exist, however, many other things could be done.
Bad idea. ... On a free access site like Google & Yahoo, not a bad idea.

On free broadcast TV you expect and even tolerate being bombarded with advertisements. After all, that is what is paying for those "free" broadcasts. On commercial free programming, such as HBO, you expect and are willing to pay for uninterrupted, advertisement free, quality programming.

It's bad enough that we got bombarded with animated advertisements wherever we go on the internet, as it is. As soon as you clutter this site down with distracting advertisement, you'll kill the goose that laid the golden egg - that'll be the end of Rennlist as we know it today.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:26 PM
AW
Pro

In my opinion, reducing the available features for non paying users and asking people to pay in general is not a good idea for web communities. The intrinsic value of these communities is derived from the number of users and and what they can do (post, share pictures, ask questions, etc...) any limitation will result with a less valuable online community.

Some sites already embed google advertisement in message boards. Check out s2ki.com as an example. I don't find these very disruptive, yet they yield several thousand dollars to the site owner monthly.

Further, more subtle advertisement embedded in threads could be implemented. We know that people here on rennlist all have a strong interest for Porsche cars. We also know that many companies shamelessly plug their product in our threads. All I'm suggesting is a system that let these companies pay for the exposure.

I believe that a good ad system for Rennlist would not only let the owner scale the system but also would let him realize a well deserved profit.

AW
Old 10-18-2005, 02:44 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

I think this site is great and I am going to be a member in a couple of days. After my ebay auctions end tonight and get some cash in the PayPal account. BTW, anyone here interested in bidding on 1/18 Porsche diecasts?
Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TH: Any chance you may auction the hottie on the left side?!?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by AW
In my opinion, reducing the available features for non paying users and asking people to pay in general is not a good idea for web communities. The intrinsic value of these communities is derived from the number of users and and what they can do (post, share pictures, ask questions, etc...) any limitation will result with a less valuable online community.
I disagree. I believe it will result in a more valuable online community because of its very exclusivity. It will become like a PCA club for members only, with the exception that outsiders will still be allowed to peer in and learn valuable useful information for free.
Originally Posted by AW
Some sites already embed google advertisement in message boards. Check out s2ki.com as an example. I don't find these very disruptive, yet they yield several thousand dollars to the site owner monthly.
These sites are FREE, which is exactly the point I was making. If you do that here, you'll need to refund the membership their dues and make it a free site like the others by not charging the annual fee. It's one or the other.