Notices

Fraud on Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:41 PM
David J Marguglio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraud on Rennlist

I dont have a lot of experience with this site, so I am not sure where to go with this, so I figured Help Forum was a good a place as any. I am really ticked over an experience that occured with one of the members or lurkers (not sure which) that I would like to enlighten others about.

Several weeks ago, I posted a part request in the Parts Wanted section. A few days later, I received an email from a Geoff Wattiker of Chapel Hill, NC stating that he had the part laying around his garage and would be happy if I took it off his hands.

He shipped me the part and I mailed him a check. Few weeks pass and I never receive the part. I send several emails and finally he responds claiming that the part was put out for UPS and he thinks that the garbage men picked it up by mistake. He says he is sorry for the trouble and says that he is mailing me a check to refund my money. Never arrives.

I go back and forth with emails over a period of weeks before I decide to find out who this guys really is. To make a long story short, it turns out that he is a college student at the University of North Carolina. And discussions with the UNC police reveal that it is likely that he was praying on websites such as Rennlist looking for suckers such as myself that would not be suspicious of what seemed like another member and would be likely to part with $50-100 pretty readily. Investigation pending.

Well, shame on me for being a sucker, but I really did not expect to find that kind of b.s. here. In any case, all members should beware of this type of scum.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Fraud on Rennlist

Originally posted by David J Marguglio
I dont have a lot of experience with this site, so I ....
Well, shame on me for being a sucker, but I really did not expect to find that kind of b.s. here. In any case, all members should beware of this type of scum.
Arggghhh............

Can you PLEASE send me any info in e-mail on this (admin@rennlist.com). The persons name, address, whatever.. Something about this guy rings a bell with me - but - I'm not sure what - yet... Also - a copy of your ad would be great!

Finally - I posted this yesterday in regards to someone asking about the classifieds and why non-members can't post.. In short - it's stuff like what you went through that makes me know I did the right thing....

OK - here's my post:

Originally posted by John D.
Hey Bruce..!!

Yep - I took off the "Free" classifieds where anyone could post - as someone was setting up a scam. One person DID scam another (well - actually 2 folks - with the same ad - and both non-Members), and spent two days assisting State and Federal authorities tracking that person down (I guess it gave a whole new meaning to "Free Classifieds" in my mind..)..

Anyway - the Classifieds NOW - only Rennlist Members can post to - BUT - anyone can buy from. The difficulty is that I won't close down both selling and buying to Rennlist Members only (such as the PCA website), but I'd caution any Rennlist Member when posting stuff - to know the buyer. You can always ask them if they are a Rennlist Member and ask for their Membership number, and either Jen or I would be happy to verify that they are indeed, Members.

Also - I always found that in the few instances if something goes wrong - I can pick up and call both parties, if they are Rennlist Members - as both know the site, probably know my name, and are willing to work together. Through the years - my guess is I've been asked to "mediate" about $200,000 of sales from what is sold/purchased from throughout the site - and fortunately - have a pretty good success rate.

However - Rennlist - from the Classifieds, Forums, Sponsor sales, Group buys, e-mail lists does about $350,000 per week (including Porsches sold from the site). Wish I got a commission