Notices

Ship my 996 to Brussels for 3yr assignment from WA, USA

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Zmonsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ship my 996 to Brussels for 3yr assignment from WA, USA

Hi Belgium folks,

I will be heading to Brussels for a 3 yr assignment and planning to bring my 99' 996 over on my own dime (company won't move personal cars as they will be providing a company car for the duration of my assignment).

I have lived in the states (Seattle, WA) and owned the car for over a year, and I have the receipt from purchase that shows taxes paid, so I believe no VAT will need to be paid.

I have received some shipping quotes and understand there are likely custom/port duties due at arrival in Belgium. Overall cost is really quite affordable.

I am also aware of the requirements posted on this website: http://brussels.angloinfo.com/countr...toregister.asp

What I would like to know is, are there anyone here that have done this and if they can share their experience or any hidden cost that popped up.

As well, I am wondering what the costs of annual road use tax/registration for a 996 or equivalent type car and estimated insurance cost for a 35yr married male with clean US driving record?

Thank you in advance!
Herb
Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Basic info from someone who has done it multiple times (I divide my time b/t the U.S. & an area of Germany not far from the Belgian border.) The last car I sent from here to there (to leave there) I used the Port of Antwerp - smooth. You'll have no real problem getting the car into the country without initially paying a customs fee, but...

Here is the headwind you will encounter concerning your plan.

You"ll need to have a valid EU liabilty policy card in order for the car to be relased @ the port. The forwarder's local agent will advise you on the rest, but typically original title & passport. The "border insurance" is sold in 1 month increments - expensive long term 105 Euros p/m and only offered for months, not years - no collision or comprehensive coverage available with the temp insurance. A permanent insurance carrier there won't be able to check (or care) about your driving history in the U.S.. The rates begin at a set level and decrease over time with a good record with the company (oddly enough infractions aren't important, just accidents.) Insurance rates there are generally comparable to here. Obtaining traditional insurance coverage with a foreign veh. registration is the challenge (except for military & diplomats.)
Then, there is the question of the maximum period (one year) that you can drive on a foreign plate. Anyway, I'm not trying to throw cold water on your plan - it can be done and I can provide some suggestions. Feel free to call me 304.768.8166 (eastern standard time). GL! Mark
Old 03-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Zmonsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Mark, thanks for the info and the contact number.

I did't know about the need for EU liability policy card in order to release from port, that's great info!

I didn't think I was going to be able to get away w/o registering the car in Belgium for 3 years. It would seem easier to just register the car in EU. But that's really the part I don't have much understanding from a cost perspective.

I will give you a call this wknd, and really appreciate your time and advice.

Herb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ship my 996 to Brussels for 3yr assignment from WA, USA