Notices

How did you fall in love with Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 06:12 AM
Zephyr1990
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation How did you fall in love with Porsche?

I first fell in love with Porsche after stumbling upon a 1986 Guards Red Targa Sport during a family walk on a summer evening. I was 12 years old. I became a bit obsessed and decided to learn everything I could about Porsches and dreamed that one day I would finally own one. Although at the time I believed that only very wealthy people could afford to own these cars. We lived in a rough Council Estate in Glasgow, Scotland. And we weren’t wealthy.

I watched every movie with a Porsche in it and visited the OPC many times to chat with the staff about the cars. I drew detailed drawings of Porsches with the sun setting in the mountains. I discussed them at every opportunity with anyone who would chat about them.

Around 20 years later I bought my first Porsche (a 1986 Guards Red Targa Sport). I paid £12K for it which was a lot of money for me at the time. I took a calculated risk in the hope that it would not turn into a financial ordeal for me. It didn’t and I enjoyed every mile in the car over the next 3 years. I finally sold it for the same price I paid for it. The running costs had also been a lot less than they could have been.

I wanted to experience a different Porsche and so I bought a Black 987 Boxster S. Very different animal from an air-cooled 911 but still a fantastic Porsche with its own unique and special qualities. Owned the Boxster for 2 years then sold it for what I paid for it. Again, the running costs were fairly minimal and certainly manageable for the average person like me.

I missed the air-cooled experience and now I wanted the legendary type 993. The last air-cooled Porsche made. One turned up for sale and I very quickly phoned about it and arranged a viewing. The next morning, I traveled the length of the UK by train. Bought the car and drove it straight home, only stopping to fill up. I’ve owned this car for 10 years.

(I’ve also recently bought a Red Boxster 987.2 but that’s another story…)

5 years ago, my partner and I experienced some life events that made us stop and think about what we wanted from life. Weird how stress at work coupled with losing someone close can do that. We decided to follow our dream of traveling South East Asia. I took a 6-month sabbatical from my Architectural Technologist post and my partner quit her job in the medical profession.

We had the time of our lives! During our travels it occurred to me that I could share my knowledge and experience of Porsche ownership to help others buy their first Porsche. I’d never written a book before but I had a gut feeling that I had to do this.

The book that finally emerged is called Porsche 911: The Practically Free Supercar. I chose this title for many reasons. In this book, I have condensed a lifetime of Porsche knowledge and distilled it so that anyone can pick up the book and use it as a tool to learn about all Porsche sportscar models and to pick the Porsche that’s right for them. I share insights, personal stories and anecdotes, and offer advice and guidance on what to look for and what to avoid. I also discuss the Porsche history in some detail. The books are entertaining and factual.

One of the main themes is that you don’t have to be wealthy to own your dream Porsche.

This book is quite different from other Porsche books. It’s unique and as such, I didn’t know what to expect or how it would be received. I was amazed at the positive response from the online Porsche and the book became and a best seller. I’ve received messages from all over the world from people who have used this book to buy their dream Porsche.

The success of the book inspired me to write what I believe to be the best resource available on the wonderful Porsche Boxster. As with all my books, I have written this book from the heart and with passion that is apparent from the beginning. This book is called Porsche Boxster: The Practically Free Sportscar and it too has become a best seller.

I went on to write a Porsche Trivia Book, a Porsche Colouring Book (which I’m currently revising) and a dedicated Porsche journal (also being revised).

My books have been reviewed on all the major Porsche sites and clubs including the fantastic Rennlist 😊, Porsches own Christophorus magazine, PCA and several others. Porsche HQ have enjoyed my books and I’ve received some nice feedback from the Porsche Museum.

My takeaway messages are that life is brief so trust your gut and follow through on your dreams of Porsche ownership and everything else that you want to do with your life. Don’t delay. We don’t know what’s round the bend.

And also, that you don’t need to be wealthy to own your dream Porsche. With the right knowledge and strategy – a Porsche can even be Practically Free Motoring.

Thanks for reading.

Robert McGowan.
Practically Free Porsche

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (07-09-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 05:41 AM
harry777sander
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zephyr1990
I first fell in love with Porsche after stumbling upon a 1986 Guards Red Targa Sport during a family walk on a summer evening. I was 12 years old. I became a bit obsessed and decided to learn everything I could about Porsches and dreamed that one day I would finally own one. Although at the time I believed that only very wealthy people could afford to own these cars. We lived in a rough Council Estate in Glasgow, Scotland. And we weren’t wealthy.

I watched every movie with a Porsche in it and visited the OPC many times to chat with the staff about the cars. I drew detailed drawings of Porsches with the sun setting in the mountains. I discussed them at every opportunity with anyone who would chat about them. I begin to work and made a project bestbodyworkout.com

Around 20 years later I bought my first Porsche (a 1986 Guards Red Targa Sport). I paid £12K for it which was a lot of money for me at the time. I took a calculated risk in the hope that it would not turn into a financial ordeal for me. It didn’t and I enjoyed every mile in the car over the next 3 years. I finally sold it for the same price I paid for it. The running costs had also been a lot less than they could have been.

I wanted to experience a different Porsche and so I bought a Black 987 Boxster S. Very different animal from an air-cooled 911 but still a fantastic Porsche with its own unique and special qualities. Owned the Boxster for 2 years then sold it for what I paid for it. Again, the running costs were fairly minimal and certainly manageable for the average person like me.

I missed the air-cooled experience and now I wanted the legendary type 993. The last air-cooled Porsche made. One turned up for sale and I very quickly phoned about it and arranged a viewing. The next morning, I traveled the length of the UK by train. Bought the car and drove it straight home, only stopping to fill up. I’ve owned this car for 10 years.

(I’ve also recently bought a Red Boxster 987.2 but that’s another story…)

5 years ago, my partner and I experienced some life events that made us stop and think about what we wanted from life. Weird how stress at work coupled with losing someone close can do that. We decided to follow our dream of traveling South East Asia. I took a 6-month sabbatical from my Architectural Technologist post and my partner quit her job in the medical profession.

We had the time of our lives! During our travels it occurred to me that I could share my knowledge and experience of Porsche ownership to help others buy their first Porsche. I’d never written a book before but I had a gut feeling that I had to do this.

The book that finally emerged is called Porsche 911: The Practically Free Supercar. I chose this title for many reasons. In this book, I have condensed a lifetime of Porsche knowledge and distilled it so that anyone can pick up the book and use it as a tool to learn about all Porsche sportscar models and to pick the Porsche that’s right for them. I share insights, personal stories and anecdotes, and offer advice and guidance on what to look for and what to avoid. I also discuss the Porsche history in some detail. The books are entertaining and factual.

One of the main themes is that you don’t have to be wealthy to own your dream Porsche.

This book is quite different from other Porsche books. It’s unique and as such, I didn’t know what to expect or how it would be received. I was amazed at the positive response from the online Porsche and the book became and a best seller. I’ve received messages from all over the world from people who have used this book to buy their dream Porsche.

The success of the book inspired me to write what I believe to be the best resource available on the wonderful Porsche Boxster. As with all my books, I have written this book from the heart and with passion that is apparent from the beginning. This book is called Porsche Boxster: The Practically Free Sportscar and it too has become a best seller.

I went on to write a Porsche Trivia Book, a Porsche Colouring Book (which I’m currently revising) and a dedicated Porsche journal (also being revised).

My books have been reviewed on all the major Porsche sites and clubs including the fantastic Rennlist 😊, Porsches own Christophorus magazine, PCA and several others. Porsche HQ have enjoyed my books and I’ve received some nice feedback from the Porsche Museum.

My takeaway messages are that life is brief so trust your gut and follow through on your dreams of Porsche ownership and everything else that you want to do with your life. Don’t delay. We don’t know what’s round the bend.

And also, that you don’t need to be wealthy to own your dream Porsche. With the right knowledge and strategy – a Porsche can even be Practically Free Motoring.

Thanks for reading.

Robert McGowan.
Practically Free Porsche

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1091444838
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GB25HFK
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B3DDWH6

what an incredible story! I also fell in love with a Porsche a long time ago and every day when I get into my 911 I understand that this is a dream car that will suit true connoisseurs

Last edited by harry777sander; 06-29-2022 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:21 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Zephyr1990
Now that caught my eye. And I would know as a "tech" who owns two Porsches, a 993 Carrera and 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS, both with manual transmissions.

You need two things, a passion for Porsches and the discipline to save up for them. I am surprised how many Porsche owners, the vast majority, know so little about the history of Porsche.

The following users liked this post:
Samanta Fox (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: How did you fall in love with Porsche?