Notices

Moving to Germany - Porsche Homologation costs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 01:58 PM
chris g
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moving to Germany - Porsche Homologation costs?

Hi everyone, we're moving to Germany from USA this summer and I'm trying to decide which car(s) to bring with. I have not been able to find reliable information about the actual changes and costs involved in homologation. We will likely be moving to the Bonn area, if that makes a difference.

We have the following vehicles: (All US market)
  • 1971 911E - appears stock but has been modified to improve driveability/reliability over the years. (i.e., Hydro-pneumatic suspension changed to torsion bars. Hydraulic chain tensioners)
  • 2012 Cayenne Turbo - Stock US
  • 2022 Boxster 25 Years - Stock US
Any information at this point will be helpful. Thank you very much!
Old 03-13-2022, 07:09 AM
ZwartOfBlauw
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris,
We moved to Germany with a 1999 996 C4 and a 2006 987.1 S.

You will need a certificate of compliance from Porsche if your cars were originally sold in Europe. If they were originally sold in the US, you’ll need a technical data sheet instead from Porsche. These were I think 225 Euro each.

Then you will need a TÜV inspection. We had this done at the Porsche dealer. The inspection and documentation itself was in the 200 range IIRC, but the real costs are in correcting any findings.

My Cayman was an original US car. I did not have to change anything (side markers, gage cluster, etc).
Old 03-18-2022, 01:50 PM
chris g
AutoX

Thank you for the information. I'm still interested in finding what might need to be changed on our Boxster like headlight and exhaust, especially since it is a current model year vehicle. I've been as yet unable to find anyone who can answer this.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:46 AM
ZwartOfBlauw
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Then suggest you contact TUV directly.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Eds911
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m curious about battery life….. how long were the vehicles in the shipping containers without battery tenders, I’m shipping my 997 from Toronto Canada to Lisbon Portugal this coming spring and concerned the battery will drain to the point of not being able to open the trunk to boost it.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:04 AM
chris g
AutoX

Originally Posted by Eds911
I’m curious about battery life….. how long were the vehicles in the shipping containers without battery tenders, I’m shipping my 997 from Toronto Canada to Lisbon Portugal this coming spring and concerned the battery will drain to the point of not being able to open the trunk to boost it.
The batteries (two) in my 1971 911 were dead on arrival in Europe and needed to be replaced. One had supposedly been installed brand new on the US side before shipping. Not so sure about that!
The Cayenne had no issues other than being incredibly dirty. Started right up.
Both cars were in containers for around 5 weeks.
Old 04-30-2023, 02:13 PM
PorscheNut454
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 20 Posts

It would make sense to add ctek pigtail that would go out of the hood so you can plug and boost it.

Quick Reply: Moving to Germany - Porsche Homologation costs?