Notices

Frankfurt visit

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:42 AM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Frankfurt visit

Thought that this would be the appropriate place to post my query. I am travelling to Europe in early November and will be spending a couple of days in Frankfurt. I've checked with Trip Advisor etc on things to do, so I'm aware of museums etc etc,, but can any of the locals give some advice on things I should do or see? Food ideas welcome

Thanks folks
Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 AM
Bond HD
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have time for some trips I would definetely recommend go to Heidelberg, about 1h south of Frankfurt, an absolute hihlight:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/germany...erg/heidelberg

And/or go to the Pfalz area, about 1h SW of Frankfurt, the "Tuscany of Germany", to the German wine-street - there are lots of great wineries where you can do wine tastings, and great resturants. e.g. in Deidesheim. If you are interest in recommendations for wineies let me know.

If you can rent a Porsche or other sports cars, there are also some great tours you can do. For inspiration:

1. Odenwald - 1/2h south of Frankfurt:

2. Pfalz - 1h south west:

3. Swiss Alps, e.g. Sustenpass - 4h south of FRankfurt:
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 AM
tcc
Pro

Woo! Great! I will check those out, thank you.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of restaurant are you after? Can probably help you out on that. And is it Frankfurt or will you have a rental and willing to go countryside?

Local food places, some of them quite touristy but many people like them (we always take US colleagues there and have Christmas outings), and many locals will go there:
* Fichtekränzi
* Zum gemalten Haus (most typical / famous Apfelwein (Cidre) pub)
* Wagner
* 12 Apostel
* Klosterhof (from all of the above, they have the best food)

Cross over and a great place for breakfast is the Walden.

If you want a decent steak (though I would wait until back in the US, your meat is better), many places, most overpriced. My favourite is Black Bulls and Buffalo, Ranch & Sea also good but pricey. Italien restaurants will be much better than in the US and much more authentic, can give you some recommendations if interested.

Go countryside and you can go to local breweries: Kronenhof in Bad Homburg and Brauhaus in Oberursel. Better food at Kronenhof. Craft beer pub in Frankfurt is the BrauStil, heard good things.

Fine dining in a nice setting and not too expensive is Homburger Hof in Bad Homburg, my wife's and my favourite. Best pizza north of Italy is Da Guido in Ober-Erlenbach, no frills self-service, great place, around since I've been a kid. Best ice cream is Bella Gelato in Bad Homburg, I go there frequently.

There are many fine dining options in Frankfurt, including some with Michelin stars. Let me know if that is of interest.

Go to the Kleinmarkhalle, local market / food place. Near to that is Cafe Wacker, best Espresso in town, don't turn away because of the long queue, they are super quick.

Let me know when you are in town. I work in the inner city and happy to meet if I'm not travelling.

Best regards
Sven
Old 10-22-2017, 08:57 PM
tcc
Pro

Originally Posted by Sven76
What kind of restaurant are you after? Can probably help you out on that. And is it Frankfurt or will you have a rental and willing to go countryside?

Local food places, some of them quite touristy but many people like them (we always take US colleagues there and have Christmas outings), and many locals will go there:
* Fichtekränzi
* Zum gemalten Haus (most typical / famous Apfelwein (Cidre) pub)
* Wagner
* 12 Apostel
* Klosterhof (from all of the above, they have the best food)

Cross over and a great place for breakfast is the Walden.

If you want a decent steak (though I would wait until back in the US, your meat is better), many places, most overpriced. My favourite is Black Bulls and Buffalo, Ranch & Sea also good but pricey. Italien restaurants will be much better than in the US and much more authentic, can give you some recommendations if interested.

Go countryside and you can go to local breweries: Kronenhof in Bad Homburg and Brauhaus in Oberursel. Better food at Kronenhof. Craft beer pub in Frankfurt is the BrauStil, heard good things.

Fine dining in a nice setting and not too expensive is Homburger Hof in Bad Homburg, my wife's and my favourite. Best pizza north of Italy is Da Guido in Ober-Erlenbach, no frills self-service, great place, around since I've been a kid. Best ice cream is Bella Gelato in Bad Homburg, I go there frequently.

There are many fine dining options in Frankfurt, including some with Michelin stars. Let me know if that is of interest.

Go to the Kleinmarkhalle, local market / food place. Near to that is Cafe Wacker, best Espresso in town, don't turn away because of the long queue, they are super quick.

Let me know when you are in town. I work in the inner city and happy to meet if I'm not travelling.

Best regards
Sven
Thank you, that's very kind of you. My itinerary is up in the air, we land in London, then wife bugging to go to Paris for a few days as well, so still evolving. As far as food suggestions, I generally try to hit the local 'must do's' more than high end eating per se. Steak is steak is steak. Your suggestions sound good. I'll let you know as it gets closer, Thanks again.

Tony
Old 10-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me, not often in this part of the forum.

Quick Reply: Frankfurt visit