Notices

Porsche Sport Driving School - Precision worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Porsche Sport Driving School - Precision worth it?

The only class being offered in Canada at CTMP is the Precision level course, which is for drivers with little to no experience. It also takes place on the Driver Development track which I hear is the smaller track.

Has anyone been this year? If I have prior track experience, should I wait for "Performance" or do they require you to do these in order? For 2500$ I don't want to be disappointed and wish I had skipped. I dont plan on doing these every year...

http://porschedrivingexperiencecanad...l/schedule.php

I realize this is an overpriced way of getting on a track, but as of this year I no longer have a sports car, only my Macan GTS...
Old 07-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Just received an email from PCO about their track days next week. Still on development track but at 600$ its not an issue. Think I will go that route.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:04 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If your going to spend the big bucks to get on the track I highly recommend you look at Bridgestone Racing Academy. I recently completed the 3 day course and holy crap, open wheel is more addictive than crack!!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

I will look into that.

Booked the PCO track day for the morning of July 13. Will see then if the PSDS is worth it.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:23 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I've done the PCO CTMP half day intermediate course with their cars. If you have not been on track @ CTMP, it's $600 well spent. If you have had track time there, and you're thinking you'll get to beat on someone else's tires / brakes / gas tank for $600, you'll be disappointed as I was. Also, you share the car with another participant so you only get 50% of the time behind the wheel. That wasn't in the sales script when I signed up...

It's a very slow pace if you've already spent time on track in your own car, but it is a great opportunity to learn the lines and get exposure to the 'big track' before taking your own whip out there.

You've already signed up, so enjoy! The new 991.2 C2S and C4S cars are very fun to drive!

And hell yes the Bridgestone Racing Academy is awesome! I did the single day course and it was incredible, one of my best motoring experiences to date. Highly recommend even the 1 day course if you don't want to shell out the bucks for the 3 day course at first.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Finally some info, thanks!

Im signed up for the "Driver Development" course as they state you must have done this one prior to the Intermediate. Based on your comments I will call to change as it looks like I'm lining up to be disappointed...

Audi's driving experiences have the 2 person per car setup as well however its disclosed beforehand. I wonder if the PSDS is 2 per car.

Originally Posted by cstyles
I've done the PCO CTMP half day intermediate course with their cars. If you have not been on track @ CTMP, it's $600 well spent. If you have had track time there, and you're thinking you'll get to beat on someone else's tires / brakes / gas tank for $600, you'll be disappointed as I was. Also, you share the car with another participant so you only get 50% of the time behind the wheel. That wasn't in the sales script when I signed up...

It's a very slow pace if you've already spent time on track in your own car, but it is a great opportunity to learn the lines and get exposure to the 'big track' before taking your own whip out there.

You've already signed up, so enjoy! The new 991.2 C2S and C4S cars are very fun to drive!

And hell yes the Bridgestone Racing Academy is awesome! I did the single day course and it was incredible, one of my best motoring experiences to date. Highly recommend even the 1 day course if you don't want to shell out the bucks for the 3 day course at first.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:05 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

I've recently joined PCA and signed up for DE. The cost for full weekend is only $360, and it is conducted on the grand prix track at Mosport. It seems pretty difficult to get in as the spots fill up quickly and currently all remaining school dates are full. But something to keep in mind for future.
Take a look here for details: http://pcaucr.org/driving/driver-education

I've done a weekend DE with BMW Trillium in April and it was well organized with excellent instructors. You don't have to drive a BMW to participate, they allow Porsches too!
https://trilliumbmwclub.ca/
Old 07-07-2017, 10:53 PM
SMH_AMG
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how this differs from what is offered at the new Porsche Driving School in SoCal?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3 day course at Bridgestone is pricey but worth every penny.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:28 PM
puddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a big fan of the PCA DE weekends. Bring your Macan out and see what its capable of! All you have to do is a Introductory Driving School first at the beginning of the season. Perhaps its not the best bang for your buck in regards to track time but as a beginner you'll get some great instruction until your in the White, 3rd level, run group. Depending on your skill level it may take you 4 or 5 weekends to get bumped up to White, from Green thru Yellow.

Also the people at the PCA DE weekends are great. and have made many great relationships with fellow drivers.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Ended up doing the Intermediate driver training today with Policaro/PCO.

Lapped the full course (follow the leader) with 718 S, 991.2 C2S and 991.2 C4S. Was plenty of fun, only portion that was speed restricted was the back straight (leader held us to about 200).

I would do it again if we could be alone in the car instead of sharing the time. You get enough seat time but not "ok ive had enough".

I guess doing this once or twice a year will do until it makes sense for me to be back into a sports car.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School - Precision worth it?