Notices

Mercedes G Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Mercedes G Wagon

Does anyone have personal experience with daily driving a G Wagon?

I've always loved them but would be buying +/-12 years old, albeit low km, and wondering if that's a recipe for disaster? I'm guessing it is.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have personal experience, but a couple of people I know have em - they love them (as do I), but they spend a LOT of $$ time in the shop. More so than an old P car apparently.
Were you thinking of AMG or regular engine?
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 AM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have some wheel time in a 04 G500. I drove it for a few weeks around the GTA and honestly the only appeal that it had at the time was the heavy, vault like door closing and opening clicks ~ similar to my air-cooler. Otherwise, the truck was loud, rough, bumpy, and felt incredibly top heavy. Considering how much these things cost on the preowned market, I would definitely look at other luxo 4x4s. The latest body style, full size Rangie would be a far more civilized ride with similar "baller status".
Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

3 tons and thirsty.
Canadian military uses them.
You could probably get a decommissioned one at a good price but there's only one color choice.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:23 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Not worth the repair bills.. but only IMO.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Couple of my neighbours have them. I too, have an inkling. But so far, I have evaded that bug.
If you can find a low KM, right price?
Neighbour has spent a tonn on his. Always in the shop with little $5oo things.
Love the vault build, that v8 engine is gloriously, and wrong. But that rumble!
I roll down my window, just to listen. But I laugh every time with the new one. It has stop/start ECO. I snicker I bet you it will return about 10mpg? You won't be passing any gas stations.
Bought right? You can have you fun. They seem to hold their value well. In the end you should be able to get close to what you paid for it.
All those ponies are fun in the straight line. But they corners like 5625 lbs of potatoes.
And you will need 25.4 barrels of premium fuel on average per year.
Or 4,032 litres, at $1.39 last night is $5403 in fuel per year, or $27,017 over five years.
Big Smoke - aka fun police
Old 06-06-2017, 02:39 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
3 tons and thirsty.
Canadian military uses them.
You could probably get a decommissioned one at a good price but there's only one color choice.
I tried. There was an ex-Canadian military G-Wagen waiting to be decomissioned sitting in the underground garage at the dealership adjacent to Mercedes HO in Toronto not too long ago, one of five or six identical vehicles destined for the same fate. Even with the .50-Cal machine gun removed from the turret, the armor plating and other military-grade goodies remain classified even after the vehicles have been taken out of active service, and the vehicles are eventually destroyed.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
... and the vehicles are eventually destroyed.
Well you know the government wouldn't get max value out of anything
they buy with tax dollars.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

don't do it.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:26 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

It's awful. Nothing like a luxury SUV. If you require even the most basic amount of handling, body control or ride quality you will hate it. If you're an attention ***** and want to look like you're in a rap video go for it. I drove one for a week (which was fun) but never had any inclination to get one. If you're OK with giving up cornering ability but want comfort get the full size Range Rover as others have suggested. I did...only car I've kept for 4 years...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:51 PM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Having owned and daily driven a 96 Hummer H1 for a while I would say the compromises are expected and creature comforts are an after thought. I imagine the G wagon, which shares a similar background, would be similar despite more leather and electronics. Expect it to drive like a military vehicle.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:49 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Having spent many hours in an armoured G-Wagon I giggle when I see people that have paid $150K for the same truck, just dipped in gold. If you are looking for a merc with lots of space, find a R Class. Apparently they are the best highway cruisers around.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:57 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EDoyle
Having owned and daily driven a 96 Hummer H1 for a while I would say the compromises are expected and creature comforts are an after thought. I imagine the G wagon, which shares a similar background, would be similar despite more leather and electronics. Expect it to drive like a military vehicle.
H1 is WAY more agricultural than the G500 / 55 / 63 etc... Hummer and Defender are about equal in rudimentary-ness ;-)
Old 06-07-2017, 10:52 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
I tried. There was an ex-Canadian military G-Wagen waiting to be decomissioned sitting in the underground garage at the dealership adjacent to Mercedes HO in Toronto not too long ago, one of five or six identical vehicles destined for the same fate. Even with the .50-Cal machine gun removed from the turret, the armor plating and other military-grade goodies remain classified even after the vehicles have been taken out of active service, and the vehicles are eventually destroyed.
id want them to leave the gun on anyway .. NOW lets see the F-150 guys tailgate me !!!
Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Service costs are INSANE and parts avalibilty is so-so. Engine parts yea not a problem but almost everything else is dealer only, expensive and a wait.. Stock is better these days since Mercedes can't keep up selling them but for older models... I would also be concerned with RUST, these things RUST like crazy.
I love the styling but having worked/driven them, they're horrible handling and not comfortable. Brakes are very undersized for the weight and wear out quick.

If you want to be cool bring over a diesel with a stick from Europe. No electronics, same interior but actually useful

Quick Reply: Mercedes G Wagon