Some newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some newbie questions

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for my first Porsche, and have decided on a 997.2 Carrera S or 4S in PDK since my wife may need to drive the car occasionally.

I have a couple of quick questions that I'm hoping the experts here can help with:

1. There seem to be slim pickings these days. I'd prefer to buy from a Porsche dealer so that I can get a CPO car, but options are limited. Do more cars typically hit the market in May/June? I'm open to buying from anywhere in the country (but Ontario is preferred).

2. Pfaff has a white on tan that's been sitting for quite a while. I'm going to see it this weekend, and the sales person assures me it's in great shape, but is there anything I should watch for that would indicate why it isn't selling? Part of me wonders if it's the colour combination that's just not desirable.

I appreciate any input and look forward to being able to join you guys as proud owners soon.

Adrian
Old 04-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!...

you might want to drop by the Saturday GTG some morning...lots of people there who might be helpful ( there is a sticky thread if you need info). We often get people dropping in and it is very informal.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

My wife got a few new large scratches on her SUV this week that she isn't even aware of, so sorry if I came off as crass, I was mostly joking
The 997s are great cars and the Gen2 engines seem very good and are a very usable car, and the peace of mind of CPO is definitely worth it. Good luck in your search and as others have said the GTG has plenty of 997s. I am sure your wife will enjoy driving it very much as well

Last edited by Turbodan; 04-29-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

If you go for a CPO car, then you will have history and a guarantee.

In my view the 997 is a normally fairly reliable car , but you should certainly look at its detailed service history , any recalls etc. If it is not a CPO car then a PPI is essential.

I do not think a modern car like this requires any particular personal maintenance apart from respecting the service intervals, and a PDK car will not have any over rev issues.

The GT3 is manual only and not an ideal car as a shared daily driver, and the Turbo is not what you were looking for anyway.

I wold also look at the original spec of the car, as there is a huge variation..extras could easily have added 25% to the base cost, so check out what was on the car and learn what extras are most important to you. I would also avoid any non-OEM stuff on it.

( My wife drives my manual and PDK cars with no problem at all, and she had her female co-driver won the UCR rally last year, so not sure about the comment about these cars not being suitable for women)...
Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

I love the 997's and you are looking at a gen 2 so it isn't really relevant but just in case you change your focus, I think the gen 1 2007's still have the more troublesome 996 motor?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. The reality is some days I'll need to drive my wife's X5 and I can't leave her without a vehicle. I have a stick shift now, and it's proven to be a PITA more than once. A manual is my first choice, but perhaps for the next one...at least this way I'll have an emergency designated driver in a pinch!

GT3 is out of the question as I need back seats for the kids, and I prefer an NA motor to a turbo. With out over zealous traffic cops, I don't think I'll get much opportunity to enjoy the Turbo on the streets anyway.

I'll try to make it out to a GTG in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Adrian
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I love the 997's and you are looking at a gen 2 so it isn't really relevant but just in case you change your focus, I think the gen 1 2007's still have the more troublesome 996 motor?
I'm limiting my search to 2009+ since I want the DFI motor and the PDK transmission. Also, I don't believe Porsche will still CPO to first gen cars.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

You will likely find a bunch of owners of 997s at the GTG if the weather is OK...good luck with your search.!..also, you might want to check the 997 section here on Rennlist.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

997.2 4S is a great car. I had mine for 3 years. Very reliable DD and back seats are good enough for kids under 10. How old are your children? My 10 year old is starting to complain about the room in the back seat... Also, PDK is great and of course it is faster than manual
Old 04-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Tim_Perley
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moab
997.2 4S is a great car. I had mine for 3 years. Very reliable DD and back seats are good enough for kids under 10. How old are your children? My 10 year old is starting to complain about the room in the back seat... Also, PDK is great and of course it is faster than manual
They're 3.5 & 6 so I figure I can get a few years with the car before I need to go back to something more practical.

How do you like the 991? I still need to drive the newer model, but I'm uncertain about the electric steering. also not sure about a more basic 991 vs a more nicely equipped 997. The problem with these cars is its a slipper slope with budget. I've already convinced myself to raise my limit by $15,000. It's getting too easy to keep going up in small intervals!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

The early 991s have less engaging steering than the 997 for sure. I drove them side by side. They got a lot better as the model evolved. the car is a bit bigger though and I like the 991 interior.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim_Perley
They're 3.5 & 6 so I figure I can get a few years with the car before I need to go back to something more practical.

How do you like the 991? I still need to drive the newer model, but I'm uncertain about the electric steering. also not sure about a more basic 991 vs a more nicely equipped 997. The problem with these cars is its a slipper slope with budget. I've already convinced myself to raise my limit by $15,000. It's getting too easy to keep going up in small intervals!
I find the 991 more of a GT car than the 997 (longer wheelbase), but on the track and in sport or sport + mode, it's vicious. I also prefer the interior of the 991 to that of my 997. I would still be perfectly happy in the 997.2, it really is a phenomenal car and you feel more connected to it than the 991. And if you drive it in the winter, you will have an absolute blast.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:15 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
My 10 year old is starting to complain about the room in the back seat... Also, PDK is great and of course it is faster than manual
Off to military school/convent with him/her!....like the whining kid, PDK is not nearly as much fun.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good model choice and your right about slim pickings.
Weissach has been sitting on an Arctic/Sand Beige 09 C4S PDK all winter.
They are selective about their stock so wondering if it's the 127km
mileage or the interior colour holding it back?
Thought lots about it this winter.

Mostly forgotten once this is back.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:37 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Off to military school/convent with him/her!....like the whining kid, PDK is not nearly as much fun.
PDK faster than manual = fact
Manual more fun than PDK = opinion

Quick Reply: Some newbie questions