Notices

Help with CPO purchase 991 from Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with CPO purchase 991 from Quebec

Hi Guys, I'm looking for help with a cpo purchase. I'm in Alberta looking at an Ontario Porsche dealers' cpo 991. It was originally registered by the first owner in Quebec. I know that I should be more cautious about Quebec cars given the way accidents are reported and the way mechanics run their businesses there.

However, this car has been inspected with cpo. It was since sold in April 2016 and registered in Ontario. I'm not sure if the dealer wasn't aware of this, but I previously asked about Quebec and how many owners, and the sa reported misinformation about it having only one owner and that it was never registered in Quebec. I get a slight sketchy feel. However, at the time, the sa was just having the car back from inspection. So maybe he didn't know. But, the price and build are reasonable and potentially worth the trek and the purchase. It's also a launch vehicle. Either way it seems I have many points to argue for further negotiation on price. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

If it's sold by a Porsche dealer, covered by Porsche's CPO warranty, passes your independent PPI and the price/build fit your desires and objectives.... not sure that I'd be to anxious.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:28 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Even if the car is CPO certified it can still have had damage (my previous 991 had claims on it). Make sure you get the Carfax/Carproof records and get it in for an inspection at either a Porsche dealer or good independent.

Ensure they use a paint meter.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

A good PPI should reveal whether there are any previous unreported damages.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

One of the problems I've found with Quebec cars isn't so much the paperwork (it's better now than it used to be, though still not flawless), it's the wear and tear on the cars. Quebec roads tend to be in pretty rough shape, and they use as much if not more salt than we do here in Ontario. Generally speaking, of the QC cars I've bought and sold over last few years, the QC cars have more rust issues and wear items in poorer condition (suspension bushings, motor mounts, etc) to the point where I won't buy them anymore.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:15 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

To the original poster.....
Geez, if your in Alberta you can't find a west coast BC car?
Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much guys. It does have a clean carfax, and it is being sold by a Porsche dealer itself. I'll see how the pricing negotiation goes, and maybe I'll get an independent inspection.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

O/P- I would seek an independent inspection.
I wouldn't seek divorce advise from my wife's lawyer?
Have your person inspect it. The selling agent is too involved in this transaction.
To their knowledge, no accidents or sign of repair? How hard are they obligated to look?

Where are you in alberta? Edmonton Porsche has a lovely 991 7 speed?
https://edmontonporsche.ca/inventory...3+White+817142
Old 04-08-2017, 12:12 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I'm in calgary. Unfortunately that one has had an accident. I immediately called them when I heard of that thanks.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Hi Guys, I'm looking for help with a cpo purchase. I'm in Alberta looking at an Ontario Porsche dealers' cpo 991. It was originally registered by the first owner in Quebec. I know that I should be more cautious about Quebec cars given the way accidents are reported and the way mechanics run their businesses there.

However, this car has been inspected with cpo. It was since sold in April 2016 and registered in Ontario. I'm not sure if the dealer wasn't aware of this, but I previously asked about Quebec and how many owners, and the sa reported misinformation about it having only one owner and that it was never registered in Quebec. I get a slight sketchy feel. However, at the time, the sa was just having the car back from inspection. So maybe he didn't know. But, the price and build are reasonable and potentially worth the trek and the purchase. It's also a launch vehicle. Either way it seems I have many points to argue for further negotiation on price. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
hey I'm a mechanic and run a business in QC...

That being said finding clean cars here is a headache. Everything has a massive insurance claim on it or worse undeclared ... Im looking for a new daily, came across a really nice 2013 S4, priced mid range for the year. I ask the owner he says the bumper has been changed... Right I ask for the VIN he never gets back to me. I dig around and find out the car had a 21k claim in 2014 on the front end.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:32 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'm in calgary. Unfortunately that one has had an accident. I immediately called them when I heard of that thanks.
I have seen Norden CPO cars with damage. I think you can have a couple of panels repaired and it can still be CPO'd. I think it's wrong but I don't think they could sell any of the lease returns without a CPO. Are all leases smashed?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:39 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gregster

That being said finding clean cars here is a headache. Everything has a massive insurance claim on it or worse undeclared ... Im looking for a new daily, came across a really nice 2013 S4, priced mid range for the year. I ask the owner he says the bumper has been changed... Right I ask for the VIN he never gets back to me. I dig around and find out the car had a 21k claim in 2014 on the front end.
I don't know if it's just me or i am getting older but it seems that some people drive like jack asses. Lately my paranoia has gotten the best of me and i went ahead and put forward and rear facing dash cams in my summer toy. Sad times!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gregster

Thanks for your feedback. That's very scary information. It's stories like this that are making me weary of doing this purchase.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 AM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by red996
I have seen Norden CPO cars with damage. I think you can have a couple of panels repaired and it can still be CPO'd. I think it's wrong but I don't think they could sell any of the lease returns without a CPO. Are all leases smashed?
I'm not sure about norden's history. But I'm definitely motivated to get an external ppi now or perhaps even walk and wait is the safer approach.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure about norden's history. But I'm definitely motivated to get an external ppi now or perhaps even walk and wait is the safer approach.
Norden is alright. They have a Carproof link on most of their cars. You can quickly see what's up.

If I were you I would be looking on the west coast. Lots of cars that had easy lives away from salt and winter grit. You could hop on a plane and be there in 1.5 hours too. Drive back through the rockies. It's spring finally.

Quick Reply: Help with CPO purchase 991 from Quebec