Notices

USA drive GTA-Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:35 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Theres a lot of construction on I75 through Jacksonville and I hit at evening rush hour. A PIA. Also 4 across at Orlando was also stop and go, but that may have had something to do with Trump being in town. I tried to avoid 4 but the 'voice' kept pushing back to it. We argued a lot. I finally found a Florida road map, which was difficult as they are now only sold in rare book stores. I found one at the forth gas station i tried, it was their last one and they had to look for it. That got me onto #17 and finally 'the voice' figured it all out and directed me miraculously to Ft Myers and Captiva. BTW, something to do in Naples. http://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/ I understand an appointment is necessary to book a tour. I'll be heading that way in a week or so.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
BTW, something to do in Naples. http://revsinstitute.org/the-collection/ I understand an appointment is necessary to book a tour. I'll be heading that way in a week or so.
Well worth it! Plan at least 3 hours, there are so many cars to admire along with reading the stories associated to them 👍
Old 03-07-2017, 02:17 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Theres a lot of construction on I75 through Jacksonville and I hit at evening rush hour. A PIA. Also 4 across at Orlando was also stop and go, but that may have had something to do with Trump being in town.
The 4 across Orlando is always a mess. I drive in and around the GTA all the time, and the 4 scares me... mainly because people seem clueless as to the fact they are driving a vehicle. The number of slow left lane drivers is incredible. I took the 4 into Tampa when we drove down in Dec 2016, from Tampa to Daytona for The Jan 2017 Roar before the 24, and again in late Feb 2017, from Tampa to Orlando for a business trip. It's always a grind around Orlando... it hurts. I will not use it on the way back.

The alternative route, go west at Jacksonville instead of south, takes you through a bunch of sleepy places and old train yards. It feels slow because of the stoplights and speed limits through the towns, but it is faster. You do get to go through Ocala (Grassroots Motorsports HQ) and Gainsville Raceway (very large famous dragstrip) but I have never stopped in these places except for coffee and gas. (FYI - Slim chance of a Starbucks until you hit Jackonsville, McDonalds is your best bet for good coffee. Seriously.)
Old 03-08-2017, 06:45 AM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And now to add to the fun....there's a HUGE brush fire burning in Naples near our place. I75 is closed southbound as well just to make those last few miles that much more difficult. Looks to be a pretty big fire too. Neighbour just emailed me and said they can see the smoke everywhere.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

How are driver apps like waze on ling hauls to Florida? We're they helpful for identifying speed traps?

Peter
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Don't rush your drive.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
And now to add to the fun....there's a HUGE brush fire burning in Naples near our place. I75 is closed southbound as well just to make those last few miles that much more difficult. Looks to be a pretty big fire too. Neighbour just emailed me and said they can see the smoke everywhere.
Yesterdays' cocktail hour, nibblies, drinks and falling ash. made for a spectacular sunset though.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audio Books keep mine entertained for a good part of the trip. If you are members of CAA you get route plans FOC, these include details on the places to watch your speed etc. Drive through the blue ridge mountains is epic and speed limit is quite high considering the roads (for USA). I just can't get this out of my head though!!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:41 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
How are driver apps like waze on ling hauls to Florida? We're they helpful for identifying speed traps?

Peter
I find Waze doesn't handle the long routes well... I probably need to configure it better, but I use it only for inner city stuff.

Inrix Traffic seems to work better for me on the long trip. But the phone can be a hassle compared to a good solid stand alone GPS. Typically, I have both on, and wait to hear a message from Inrix about any issues, but use the GPS as the master navigator. The GPS seems more accurate and faster at all times. Your mileage may vary of course...

P
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 711 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
You know them new fangled aeroplanes fly down here?

That smoke blew in here 4 days ago. Wind has been favourable since then.

Quick Reply: USA drive GTA-Florida